How lucky are we? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How lucky are we?

Nobody gets better when they get to the NBA, it is not a developemental league. Anyone who is not ready to play meaningful minutes is doomed to whither and die. Look at history of marginal players entering the draft and this becomes blatantly obvious.

I guess my question to you is what is the role of the player development coach that each team has on their staff?

Inside the Role of an NBA Player Development Coach | VICE Sports

"During the regular season, Mahlalela is responsible for some of the Raptors' game planning and scouting. His biggest mission is to work with players, particularly the young guys who fill out the end of the team's roster, on their individual skills."

Really? Interesting. So no one gets stronger with top level strength training when they get to the NBA. Draft picks who sit on the bench for a couple years never become starters, or meaningful contributors. No one marginal ever gets better. Gotcha.
They do not pay players to get stronger, they pay them to contribute, if you do not contribute, you are soon gone. You may get a short pay day but that will be it.

Nobody gets better when they get to the NBA, it is not a developemental league. Anyone who is not ready to play meaningful minutes is doomed to whither and die. Look at history of marginal players entering the draft and this becomes blatantly obvious.

Flat out ridiculous. Yeah, guys don't get better as they get older, stronger, and focus on playing their sport as their job. Cmon.

Kawai Leonard is the exact same player as he was in college. TRUE STORY!

So is Draymond Green. Isiaiah Thomas too!

Look at Otto Porter. Did absolutely nothing as a rookie. He was terrible. And this is a guy that was a great college player who many thought would be ready to contribute early on.

And now look at him in year 4. He's gotten better every year and is in line for a big payday this summer.

This lineup lost at Pitt and at GT. Where did this lineup prove that it could win on road or neutral site

Battle had the flu. No way we lose at Pitt with a healthy Battle.

Flat out ridiculous. Yeah, guys don't get better as they get older, stronger, and focus on playing their sport as their job. Cmon.
I never said players cannot get better,stronger or improve, that would indeed be ridiculous. I said it will not happen once they are in the NBA, and the reason is economics. The NBA does not pay players to improve but to contribute to the team now. Few players last more than two years after draft, if they are not playing significant minutes. Sinply economic facts.

And the Hoyas, Red Storm, and Huskies would kill or die for that sort of "mediocrity".
Especially on the heels on an unexpected run to the Final Four.

We're still very much in the discussion right now - they have all been irrelevant for weeks, if not months.
If not years. :p

True, those 3 teams are interesting discussions. As much as I get on JB at times, when you look at Mullin and JT3, we have had it pretty good. Those two are clueless. Gtown has been the definition of mediocre. Mullin was never HC material and the Johnnies have no recruiting cache. As for Uconn, they left the BE for the AAC based on FB and they are now lost. Falling off the map quickly. Sad.

I never said players cannot get better,stronger or improve, that would indeed be ridiculous. I said it will not happen once they are in the NBA, and the reason is economics. The NBA does not pay players to improve but to contribute to the team now. Few players last more than two years after draft, if they are not playing significant minutes. Sinply economic facts.

So players don't get stronger if they aren't getting playing time? Huh?

Yes, the NBA is highly competitive and it's really difficult to stick and make it if you aren't an elite prospect. Yes, it would be better if you're more ready to contribute right away.

That doesn't mean guys don't get better.

These discussions happen every year, but one thing never changes...if a player is confident they are going to be a first round pick based on the feedback they get, they're probably leaving. And they probably should, in most cases. Exception being if they truly do have the potential to improve their stock even higher and become a lottery pick. That's often not the way things go in the current climate though.

So players don't get stronger if they aren't getting playing time? Huh?

Yes, the NBA is highly competitive and it's really difficult to stick and make it if you aren't an elite prospect. Yes, it would be better if you're more ready to contribute right away.

That doesn't mean guys don't get better.

These discussions happen every year, but one thing never changes...if a player is confident they are going to be a first round pick based on the feedback they get, they're probably leaving. And they probably should, in most cases. Exception being if they truly do have the potential to improve their stock even higher and become a lottery pick. That's often not the way things go in the current climate though.
Players leaving for the immediate pay day is a different issue than if they will develope once in the NBA, and the simple fact is the statistics say they will not be given time to develop once they are being paid. Simply the economics of the pro game.
By all means if all you are after is that signing money, you should grab while the grabbing is good. If you are playing for the long game, develope as much as you can in college to give yourself a better shot at a NBA career.
Phenoms like Lebron or Carmelo and others need not care.

At this point are you of the opinion that it will be a mistake to put Syracuse in the tourney?

Of course not! If you're on the bubble and you get in, you look at it like it's a gift. And you hope they can make it to the second weekend. I remember being on the wrong side of the bubble in the Donte Greene year. It sucks. And there was so much talent on that team.

They do not pay players to get stronger, they pay them to contribute, if you do not contribute, you are soon gone. You may get a short pay day but that will be it.
Look at Otto Porter. Did absolutely nothing as a rookie. He was terrible. And this is a guy that was a great college player who many thought would be ready to contribute early on.

And now look at him in year 4. He's gotten better every year and is in line for a big payday this summer.

Otto Porter was a top 5 pick who played behind Paul Pierce. He wasn't the 20 something pick who got traded over halfway through his rookie year. Much bigger investment for a team that did a semi-tank job.

This lineup lost at Pitt and at GT. Where did this lineup prove that it could win on road or neutral site
I meant it more as the whole year. I didn't say the current line up was undefeated by any means. I just think we most likely beat @BC, UConn, and or Georgetown

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom