How lucky are we? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How lucky are we?

I've been to 80 percent of our games since 2002. 06-08 was tough to sit through, but we did win the BET and we still were bringing in elite talent.

I love the program and basketball is my favorite sport, but the recruiting isn't as good as it was in those years and I don't see how next year will be any better unless we pray Lydon is back and somehow find a PG that can help us win immediately in the OOC. Its frustrating to see some guys continuously not develop(Roberson/Howard/Joseph etc) and it's not as fun knowing we have a significant talent gap against certain programs that we never have had. Things are going in the wrong direction.
This is the source of my frustration.
Recruiting looks bleak because JB doesn't have the energy and him staying another does not help recruiting.

BTW thoughts on the possible Malcolm Butler for Brandin Cooks trade.

This is the source of my frustration.
Recruiting looks bleak because JB doesn't have the energy and him staying another does not help recruiting.

BTW thoughts on the possible Malcolm Butler for Brandin Cooks trade.

Anyone BB wants to trade I don't want. We screw up every good defensive player that signs with us.

I've been to 80 percent of our games since 2002. 06-08 was tough to sit through, but we did win the BET and we still were bringing in elite talent.

I love the program and basketball is my favorite sport, but the recruiting isn't as good as it was in those years and I don't see how next year will be any better unless we pray Lydon is back and somehow find a PG that can help us win immediately in the OOC. Its frustrating to see some guys continuously not develop(Roberson/Howard/Joseph etc) and it's not as fun knowing we have a significant talent gap against certain programs that we never have had. Things are going in the wrong direction.
And what makes that a bit more worrisome, to me anyway, is the looming change in command from a HOF coach with 40+ years experience to a longtime asst coach with almost zero HC experience.

I'm so sick of that final four being used as an excuse to ignore the other 90% of the college basketball season. Squeak into the tournament, get a 15-seed, and then get a conference team in the next game. They beat UVA on the back of 12 minutes of fury and then got demolished by a much better team. Banners fly forever, but that's hardly a repeatable recipe for success.

This is a really frustrating attitude. Why is that fans being proud and happy that our team made it to the Final Four last year is viewed, by you and others, as a negative thing? How is being happy about it an "excuse" as if any of us are in a position to make excuses for the program anyway? And how is your deliberate minimizing of the achievement evidence of you being a better fan or a more clued-in person? Why is 18-14 more important than a FF run? I don't think anybody has claimed that the 2016 FF run was or is evidence that everything is completely hunky dory in the program. On the other hand, you are so mired in pessimism and self pity that you actually see the FF as a negative because it goes against the self loathing narrative. If you stepped back a little from your despair you would realize that a FF is always special, is historically meaningful to even the best programs, and should be celebrated. Period. You don't look for reasons to belittle it. You don't look for reasons that it "really shouldn't count because we had 13 losses that year," etc. I guess through that whole run last year, you were annoyed and frustrated?

This is a really frustrating attitude. Why is that fans being proud and happy that our team made it to the Final Four last year is viewed, by you and others, as a negative thing? How is being happy about it an "excuse" as if any of us are in a position to make excuses for the program anyway? And how is your deliberate minimizing of the achievement evidence of you being a better fan or a more clued-in person? Why is 18-14 more important than a FF run? I don't think anybody has claimed that the 2016 FF run was or is evidence that everything is completely hunky dory in the program. On the other hand, you are so mired in pessimism and self pity that you actually see the FF as a negative because it goes against the self loathing narrative. If you stepped back a little from your despair you would realize that a FF is always special, is historically meaningful to even the best programs, and should be celebrated. Period. You don't look for reasons to belittle it. You don't look for reasons that it "really shouldn't count because we had 13 losses that year," etc. I guess through that whole run last year, you were annoyed and frustrated?

I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is that losing 10+ regular season games a year and being on the bubble is a not a recipe for sustained NCAAT success. Last season we had a great run and every SU fan should cherish that experience, but from a program health standpoint, losing 41 games in 3 years is not what SU basketball has been about for the last 45 years. We need some positive momentum - which I expected we'd get from last year's Final Four appearance, but unfortunately hasn't materialized.

(one caveat: I think this board has collectively down-played the impact of NCAA sanctions. Hopefully that is a hurdle that we can get past soon)

Spot on and show me a person that remembers who the heck finishes 1st before the tourney and actually gives a rats bass after one shining moment plays and the trophy is lifted over their teams heads! Jeezus come on!

I don't think anybody has claimed that the 2016 FF run was or is evidence that everything is completely hunky dory in the program
You're better than these alternative facts. Someone posts "But Final Four!" in every thread where someone is discussing how the program isn't in the best shape. You're on these boards enough to see that.
This is from this thread for crissakes.
So mediocrity still brought us a final four last year. 95% of college basketball programs would die for our mediocrity. It's all relative.

I have the complete opposite opinion. I'm ready for Mike to takeover.
I am too, but it doesn't change the fact that he's an unknown. Would you take Hopkins over any other coach in D1? I'm optimistic, but I'm not betting the house on him turning around a program with obvious warts. 12 wins is just as possible as 25.

You're better than these alternative facts. Someone posts "But Final Four!" in every thread where someone is discussing how the program isn't in the best shape. You're on these boards enough to see that.
This is from this thread for crissakes.

The Final Four was real. It happened. I was there. It was legitimate. Is the program also in a precarious position, yes. But don't call me or anyone else a Pollyanna because we're happy and proud about it. It is equal in validity to the lack luster regular season records. It's a complicated situation for the program but we don't get to evaluate it just on the tidbits we think match our own outlooks.

All he needs to do is declare and go to workouts. If they think he is first round potential, he gone.

Yep, and I think he will perform well. Along with good measureables. His biggest weakness is his weakness. People say he needs to come back to get stronger. I'm pretty sure they have some decent strength training programs in the NBA. He would be insane to stay if he's in the 20s. I hope that him, and Battle stay or next year is gonna be even uglier it seems.

The Final Four was real. It happened. I was there. It was legitimate. Is the program also in a precarious position, yes. But don't call me or anyone else a Pollyanna because we're happy and proud about it. It is equal in validity to the lack luster regular season records. It's a complicated situation for the program but we don't get to evaluate it just on the tidbits we think match our own outlooks.
You're still misinterpreting my post, completely, and probably intentionally. Good for you.

Here are all the posts where I've said the final four doesn't count:
Syracusefan.com
No results found.

I have the complete opposite opinion. I'm ready for Mike to takeover.

Yeah, let's just find out if he has the goods already. Jim is trending down. I don't want to get into full Bobby Bowden territory, but we're awfully close.

I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is that losing 10+ regular season games a year and being on the bubble is a not a recipe for sustained NCAAT success. Last season we had a great run and every SU fan should cherish that experience, but from a program health standpoint, losing 41 games in 3 years is not what SU basketball has been about for the last 45 years. We need some positive momentum - which I expected we'd get from last year's Final Four appearance, but unfortunately hasn't materialized.

(one caveat: I think this board has collectively down-played the impact of NCAA sanctions. Hopefully that is a hurdle that we can get past soon)

totally agree about your last point. When you have the full compliment of scholarships, you can miss on a few kids here or there and sustain the early departures to the NBA. When you are down 3 scholarships per year? No margin for error. The idea of NCAA punishment is allegedly to punish, and outside of the great FF run last year, it seems to be doing the job. Unfortunately.

The sad reality is that our program has crested and is in decline.

The landscape is changing in college basketball. We have been slow to change with that landscape.

Ending a decline starts with bringing in talent. The staff has simply not done a very good job with recruiting over the last few classes. Our best recent gets have been getting lucky while scrambling. You can't keep key roster roles open until summer and expect things to fall into place.

A big strength used to be finding and developing 1 or 2 under the radar types in each class that would end up being 4 yer mainstays.

Now the staff spends too much time shooting high and fizzling. I am all for shooting high once the foundation of a class is established. That is no longer what we do.

It has been an incredible run under Jimmy, but all good things must come to an end.

I would hate to see the STREAK end in Jimmy's last season.

Next year's team will badly need a new PG and a new big-time scorer to replace Gillon & White. Even more help will be necessary if Lydon leaves. Unless, we cobble together the rest of this recuiting class successfully then the streak will almost certainly end next year.

It just may be time for Jimmy to go. Problem is what will happen under Mike. For years, I was a huge Hop supporter, now I am very unsure. Will be be his own man or will be be Jimmy Lite ? I simply don't know what to expect from him. All I know is that he will need to bring new energy and new ideas to the program He will have to be able to figure how what has not went well the last few seasons and to bring some changes about. However, I fear he has gotten stale in the same way that Jimmy has.

The final four was definitely real and all Syracuse fans should cherish that.

That being said, if we're talking about the program health, then regular season results are a far greater predictor.

This is an extremely important point. I think a lot of people here take for granted that we made the final four last year as a 10 seed. It was a statistical anomaly (the only 10 seed to make the FF since the NCAAT expanded to 64 teams in 1985). The single greatest predictor of post-season success is to have an exceptional regular season.

1 seeds (47 births) and 2 seeds (27 births) make up 58% of all Final Four teams since 1985.

>80% of all final four teams come from top 4 seeds.

Losing 10-14 regular season games a year is not a recipe for continued and sustained success in the NCAA tourney. Sure, anything can happen during a single season, but the likelihood of making a FF run plummets once you're slotted as a 5 seed or lower.

Mason

What if the staff had figured out what the starting lineup needed to be just a couple games sooner (Gillon and TT). And what if we hadn't had Coleman and Chukwu come up lame. What would the conversation be now?

Very small margin of error left and a very good recovery from a terrible start with far less parts to work with.

Why can't you feel good about that??

Because we're Syracuse University. We don't celebrate losing 14 times. We don't feel good about being a bubble team. We have much higher standards.
Right, only Syracuse is not allowed to have a bad season or maybe 2-3 over the course of a decade after just coming off our most successful years in program history. Give me a break.

Right, only Syracuse is not allowed to have a bad season or maybe 2-3 over the course of a decade after just coming off our most successful years in program history. Give me a break.

It's more than just a couple down years. It's the lack of recruits for next season. It's the impending departure of our HOF coach. It's being .500 in our new conference where we are not close to top dog. Why do you expect things to drastically change? Our previous success was in a completely different environment.

Just because Rutgers would kill for an 18-14 record doesn't mean it's not mediocre.

You guys know what "mediocre" means right?

I feel great!
And here's the kicker:
I will be a little upset if we don't dance, but it won't be a complete shock. We are close. We put ourselves in this position, but how about some of those huge wins?

I choose to remember the good times. Again, super proud of this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom