How many high school kids are now considering | Syracusefan.com

How many high school kids are now considering

dasher

Living Legend
Syracuse after the final four run. This is a answer to the ridiculous question of whether the final four run was worth it. Who knows, maybe mali came here because of the final four run in '13.

I think it's impossible to state just how important this run was for our program. Despite the negative press over whether or not we deserved to be here, this run showed that we are resilient and are still a blue blood program to potential recruits. Being in the spotlight for the past week to where any of the big dogs that are considering Syracuse could envision themselves in the promos on CBS or in the press conferences is invaluable. We needed this run badly.

Probably zero.

We were recruiting who we were recruiting.
This process goes on for years.

Now, might this run put our program in a more favorable light with some of those kids we're currently recruiting?
Certainly.

But - there's not some 5* guy who never considered us, who will now be clamoring to play here due to this run.

Probably zero.

Now, might this run put our program in a more favorable light with some of those kids we're currently recruiting?
Certainly.

But - there's not some 5* guy who never considered us, who will now be clamoring to play here due to this run.

I think its going to make a huge difference in showing recruits that the sanctions are not hurting our program, and increasing their chances of being showcased on a large stage.

Last edited:
Probably zero.

Certainly.

Disagree. I am not just talking about kids in the class of 2017. And the idea that winning doesn't help in recruiting, is foolish.

I think its going to make a huge difference in showing recruits that the sanctions are not hurting our program, and their chances of being showcased on a large stage.

One can make the argument that the sanctions INCREASE their chances given less depth and internal competition.

One can make the argument that the sanctions INCREASE their chances given less depth and internal competition.

That's what I actually meant to say, but just forgot to put the "increase" in there.

Probably zero.

Certainly.

And by the way, where did I talk about 5 star kids?

Given that you made the OP, of course you disagree.
That's fine.

The reality is - there's a fairly limited pool of recruits we're going after each year.
And as I said - that nice run may improve our standing in some way with some of them, is entirely possible, and in fact, probable.

But - it is highly unlikely some new stud recruit will now want to play here (who didn't prior) simply because we made the Final Four this year.

We are not a blue blood program.

Yep, I'm THAT guy.

It's hard to make that argument given the success that we have had this decade. Multiple weeks as being the top ranked team, multiple 1 seeds, multiple final 4 appearances, we are considered to be an elite program and we heard as much all week by not being considered as a Cinderella story because of the stature of our program.

It's hard to make that argument given the success that we have had this decade. Multiple weeks as being the top ranked team, multiple 1 seeds, multiple final 4 appearances, we are considered to be an elite program and we heard as much all week by not being considered as a Cinderella story because of the stature of our program.

I guess this is a subjective thing...but a "blueblood" to me has success spanning multiple decades and multiple coaches. To me, there are only like four or five "real" blueblood programs.

To answer the OP, we won a title in 2003 and don't think we saw a real jump in our recruiting.

dasher said:
Syracuse after the final four run. This is a answer to the ridiculous question of whether the final four run was worth it. Who knows, maybe mali came here because of the final four run in '13.

Why on earth wouldn't a final four run ever be not worth it?

To answer the OP, we won a title in 2003 and don't think we saw a real jump in our recruiting.
Actually we got several highly rated recruits after that year, however a couple of them did not pan out to be as good as rated on recruiting. Not all high rating recruits turn out to be great, only goes to show the nature of the recruiting business.

I guess this is a subjective thing...but a "blueblood" to me has success spanning multiple decades and multiple coaches. To me, there are only like four or five "real" blueblood programs.

We are a second-tier blue blood program, similar to Georgia, Auburn, Michigan, etc. in college football.

Disagree. I am not just talking about kids in the class of 2017. And the idea that winning doesn't help in recruiting, is foolish.
I agree with you, it COULD make a huge difference. Take a look at our recruiting page. We have offered like 6 guys for 2017 in the top 15. Diallo, Bamba, Richards, Duval, Knox, Porter. And then we offered Green who is outside the top 20. How many times have we landed top 15 guys in the 12+ years since Carmelo? If the FF run convinces just 1-2 of the above guys to come, it will make a big diff imo. My guess is we will lose 5-7 guys next year so 2017 is a HUGE recruiting class for Hop.

We are a second-tier blue blood program, similar to Georgia, Auburn, Michigan, etc. in college football.

I don't know, I think you either are one or you're not.

Actually we got several highly rated recruits after that year, however a couple of them did not pan out to be as good as rated on recruiting. Not all high rating recruits turn out to be great, only goes to show the nature of the recruiting business.

Like who? We were getting highly rated recruits before we won the title as well.

This is absolutely true. It's not about next year. It's about getting buzz with junior high kids, who might just be thinking about destinations, and then continuing to build the brand with them as we go.

It never hurts. Especially when opposing recruiters could start using the "their coach is old and doesn't have it any more" kinda stuff. Gotta remember, when JB talks these day like he's staying forever, its partially to help Hop. IMHO, there 's no way he coaches beyond what has been publicly stated. Coyle and Syverud aren't Nancy and Daryl. They don't throw out "suggestions" - they give directives.

IMHO, but team that is really going to attract recruits because of a FF run is the woman's team. That style is very attractive to players...combine it with success. I think they are on the verge of being an every year player in women's hoops.

Why is Indiana considered a blue blood program?

Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, even Duke I get. But Indiana? Their final four count is like half what the other guys are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom