How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tommy is a qb w a solid arm, average reading skills, below average escapability, and he is below average as a runner. that adds up to a guy who needs an above average line in front of him to shine. he just does not have the skillset to elevate others around him and to make the big creative type of play that the great qbs can execute. i just cant see more than a seven win season as best case w tommy at the helm, and that would require very improved line play.

I’m down on devito. Rooting for him and not counting him out by any means. When you have tools you always have upside. But I’m far from convinced he’s the answer at that position. Our two best wins of the season, he either didn’t play or didn’t throw the ball. Our third-best win he didn’t throw the ball in the second half when we put the game away.

Not trying to be a but western Michigan and holy cross do very little for me.

You’re right, he started sitting on the ball and taking sacks.

...Which is what you are supposed to do if you can't get outside the tackle box to throw it away. Seems like he had an average of around 2 sec to make a decision and throw, which was likely the shortest time of any P5 QB by a significant amount. I wish he had a Go Pro on his helmet so you guys could have seen what he saw. Much different view from what you see on a screen, especially when you get to re-watch it. I believe if the line/scheme is better, he will excel.

yes, all of this.

he’s a stat pusher and I have been saying it since last year.

he pads his stats and he did it big time in end of games last season when we were down by 3 scores or more.

So you’re saying he threw a lot when down by a lot of points

seems right

...Which is what you are supposed to do if you can't get outside the tackle box to throw it away. Seems like he had an average of around 2 sec to make a decision and throw, which was likely the shortest time of any P5 QB by a significant amount. I wish he had a Go Pro on his helmet so you guys could have seen what he saw. Much different view from what you see on a screen, especially when you get to re-watch it. I believe if the line/scheme is better, he will excel.
I was gonna stay out of this and I will for the most part coz in a few days we have a new season.. a few weeks ago I had my Tommy rant I’ll keep this shorter .
Worst line in the country
One of the most penalized offenses in the country
He had the worst situation in college football
Name a Qb who had it worst ? I’ll wait ...
And I just can’t figure out how people dismiss his injury like it didn’t happen? Maybe because QBs go out and sit the bench when they are hurt . Remember the movie gladiator?
When Maximus got shanked in the ribs ?
Well that was Tommy and any other Qb runs to mommy ! People glorify hurt players that keep getting hurt and sit as tough guys but not the really hurt that play for there teammates despite the S—- show they had to endure . But what ever new chapter in 3 days

But he was constantly out of the tackle box and wouldn’t throw it away...thats my issue

if he was constantly in the tackle box, those sacks are on the OL. I don’t count those

when you’re outside and can throw it away and you eat the ball...that’s on the qb.

I was gonna stay out of this and I will for the most part coz in a few days we have a new season.. a few weeks ago I had my Tommy rant I’ll keep this shorter .
And I just can’t figure out how people dismiss his injury like it didn’t happen? Maybe because QBs go out and sit the bench when they are hurt . Remember the movie gladiator?
Well that was Tommy and any other Qb runs to mommy ! People glorify hurt players that keep getting hurt and sit as tough guys but not the really hurt that play for there teammates despite the S—- show they had to endure . But what ever new chapter in 3 days

He’s baaaaaaack!!!

The entire offense had issues, especially early in the season. We played a turnstile at RT for a bit. Things got better when we decided to play Bergeron.

Tommy took a few games to get his sea legs under him as well. He made a few poor decisions early on but like the OL, began to hit his stride later in the year despite the injury.

Here’s to hoping the NCAA gets their act together and grants a stinking waiver already. I think the OL could be pretty good if Belich gets the green light.

Generally no. I'd like to see him scramble a bit more. Also, I am not sure who would have fared well with that OL play.

People make it complicated when it’s not

- worst OL in the p5 for first half of season
- 1st instinct is to use the arm god gave him, not run
- got hurt (I trust Dad’s take here 100%)
- 1st year starting - normal growing pains

all of that and he still put up numbers in the range of our best QBs over the past 20+ years in their 1st full years

tommy is a qb w a solid arm, average reading skills, below average escapability, and he is below average as a runner. that adds up to a guy who needs an above average line in front of him to shine. he just does not have the skillset to elevate others around him and to make the big creative type of play that the great qbs can execute. i just cant see more than a seven win season as best case w tommy at the helm, and that would require very improved line play.
Solid arm? Wow. Can throw it 50 yards into a trash can. What then qualifies as a great arm? Below average runner? Don’t get that, either. He can move. And now he’s healthy and much stronger. Not that I want to see him use his legs frequently.
The player he has always reminded me of is Aaron Rodgers. Obviously unfair to compare any collegian to an NFL Hall of Famer. But similar skill sets. I always had the impression that Rodgers did his magic with a limited offensive line. But I was wrong. Packers line in recent seasons has ranked among best in NFL. According to PFF, Packers o line has been among top 7 every season but one since 2015.
Despite the injuries, we’ve still got some excellent pieces on our offensive line and a great senior leader in Servais. Let’s see them rise to the occasion this season, and then judge TD

Dino would love your Maximus reference!

He’s baaaaaaack!!!

The entire offense had issues, especially early in the season. We played a turnstile at RT for a bit. Things got better when we decided to play Bergeron.

Tommy took a few games to get his sea legs under him as well. He made a few poor decisions early on but like the OL, began to hit his stride later in the year despite the injury.

Here’s to hoping the NCAA gets their act together and grants a stinking waiver already. I think the OL could be pretty good if Belich gets the green light.
He's been back. The question is how long will he last this time. ;)

I'm sure he would claim those mistakes. But, a year older and a hell of a lot healthier will help. And honestly I think the new OC will help a lot as well. If we can run the ball AT ALL this season....

Is it my faulty impression, or do quite a few Syracuse fans and writers about Syracuse see him as a disappointment?

He's not a Heisman candidate, nor likely to make All ACC, but last year he threw for 2360 yards and 19 TDs. His completion rate of 63.2% was 3rd best in the ACC. DeVito has more than enough skills to lead Syracuse to a bowl if he has a sufficient cast around him.
Are you a Russian bot, placed here to divide our fanbase?
DeVito is very talented and his progression will be very interesting these next two years. His potential is vast, he may not have the environment to flourish, but I am a believer. He is not a finished product. I see a top 2 ACC quarterback in 2021.

He led the league in throw aways lol
Good job staying out of it.

A key play last year was the interception vs Clemson, deep in their end after the defense had produced a turnover. Tommy immediately threw an INT on the first play after, & it killed any hope for an upset or even a competitive game. Now, this was a pre-injured Devito, close game, Dome going nuts, and BOOM...interception. Took the air out of the game & frankly the season w/ what followed.
Not saying we win if we score there, or even that it was all his fault (Harris had a HUGE wide open drop on 3rd down), but I didn’t like what I saw on that play, and I submit that INT made him gun-shy which led to a lot of the “holdin on to the ball” critiques we’re seeing. We all want the kid to succeed. New year, new beginnings. LGfrickenO!

No need to make this overly complicated, last year was the combination of a lot of things; ie injuries causing a rebuilding O-line to be god awful, less then stellar play calling, and a young QB getting his first extended PT having an up and down season. Devito like most young QB's (Lawrence and Howell are the exceptions) had an up and down season that was clearly made worse due to a bad o-line and a mostly ineffective run game. Things did seem to pick up a bit later in the year when changes were made and the offense settled in a bit. This season we need Tommy to take another step forward. We know O-line help is coming in a few weeks and there is some solid skill position help especially at TE and WR. We do need him to make some better decisions on the run and to work his progressions more but that holds true for most QBs at the D1 level. In his second year as a starter we need to give him a few games before people start panicking or declaring him Montana reincarnate.

A key play last year was the interception vs Clemson, deep in their end after the defense had produced a turnover. Tommy immediately threw an INT on the first play after, & it killed any hope for an upset or even a competitive game. Now, this was a pre-injured Devito, close game, Dome going nuts, and BOOM...interception. Took the air out of the game & frankly the season w/ what followed.
Not saying we win if we score there, or even that it was all his fault (Harris had a HUGE wide open drop on 3rd down), but I didn’t like what I saw on that play, and I submit that INT made him gun-shy which led to a lot of the “holdin on to the ball” critiques we’re seeing. We all want the kid to succeed. New year, new beginnings. LGfrickenO!

excatly!

I want him to succeed for sure, but I would be crazy to say I don’t have some concerns.

He can easily wipe those away on Saturday with a good performance.

He's been back. The question is how long will he last this time. ;)
:cool:
Btw I see on the train the train thread
ummm even dino apologized to tommy on that . I went nuts I wanted to kill him when I saw that live but ... Adams threw his man to the ground which we should have been flagged for then tommy threw the ball not seeing the defender lying on his back the guy popped up like a zombie and made a great play . As Dino said you don’t search the ground for defenders just a freak bad luck play and to the naked eye it was a brutal int

I think sometimes fans think parents are carrying water for their kids. As the proud Dad of a budding 11 year old soccer player, I can tell you - we are really really aware of their faults lol

Status
Not open for further replies.