How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I need to know about Tommy, I learned against UNC and FSU two years ago.
He was stupendous in the UNC game and did a nice job managing the offense in the FSU game. My concern was his performance in the ND in the same season...looked an awful lot like last season.

Here's hoping that the '18 UNC Tommy is the Tommy we see going into the future.

I was gonna stay out of this and I will for the most part coz in a few days we have a new season.. a few weeks ago I had my Tommy rant I’ll keep this shorter .
Worst line in the country
One of the most penalized offenses in the country
He had the worst situation in college football
Name a Qb who had it worst ? I’ll wait ...
And I just can’t figure out how people dismiss his injury like it didn’t happen? Maybe because QBs go out and sit the bench when they are hurt . Remember the movie gladiator?
When Maximus got shanked in the ribs ?
Well that was Tommy and any other Qb runs to mommy ! People glorify hurt players that keep getting hurt and sit as tough guys but not the really hurt that play for there teammates despite the S—- show they had to endure . But what ever new chapter in 3 days

A couple of things...First off, he didn’t come to SU as a fully formed Unitas. He has a whole lot of skills but last year he still had some development areas. In particular, he made mental errors early in the season that were breathtaking even for a soph. NOW TO HIS CREDIT he cleaned most of them up quite well as the season went on. There were a couple of other development areas that remained development areas throughout the season AND THAT’S OK as long as you don’t pretend they don’t exist.

We all acknowledge that he was injured and truthfully, that falls on the coach to have not recruited quality competition at the position to provide a solid backup. When your starter dives untouched into the turf several yards short of a critical first down due to his injury, he should not be in there. Not his fault if his coach is willing to make that trade of.

Finally...and this is the real point of this post...you sir, are not a class act. Through the many years and many incarnations of this board there have been numerous parents who have posted. Some have been terrific, some have been overly-biased (as a parent or Perry Patterson’s grandma are expected to be although the latter was especially unique). However, none of them have so routinely defended their kid by throwing his teammates under the bus. It’s one thing to think your kid is perfect even when he isn’t; it is quite another to rip the other kids who are his brothers, if you will.

If I were an SU offensive lineman who read your posts, once a game I would make it a point in a non-critical situation to allow my man to blow by me and say hello to your kid. The metaphorical equivalent of Crash Davis telling the batter what pitch Nuke was about to throw.

I‘m old school in that I try hard not to rip individual players. I‘m not always successful, but I try. A player’s parent should have at least as much restraint as the average fan in a public forum, and In fact much more so. Give it some thought.

A couple of things...First off, he didn’t come to SU as a fully formed Unitas. He has a whole lot of skills but last year he still had some development areas. In particular, he made mental errors early in the season that were breathtaking even for a soph. NOW TO HIS CREDIT he cleaned most of them up quite well as the season went on. There were a couple of other development areas that remained development areas throughout the season AND THAT’S OK as long as you don’t pretend they don’t exist.

We all acknowledge that he was injured and truthfully, that falls on the coach to have not recruited quality competition at the position to provide a solid backup. When your starter dives untouched into the turf several yards short of a critical first down due to his injury, he should not be in there. Not his fault if his coach is willing to make that trade of.

Finally...and this is the real point of this post...you sir, are not a class act. Through the many years and many incarnations of this board there have been numerous parents who have posted. Some have been terrific, some have been overly-biased (as a parent or Perry Patterson’s grandma are expected to be although the latter was especially unique). However, none of them have so routinely defended their kid by throwing his teammates under the bus. It’s one thing to think your kid is perfect even when he isn’t; it is quite another to rip the other kids who are his brothers, if you will.

If I were an SU offensive lineman who read your posts, once a game I would make it a point in a non-critical situation to allow my man to blow by me and say hello to your kid. The metaphorical equivalent of Crash Davis telling the batter what pitch Nuke was about to throw.

I‘m old school in that I try hard not to rip individual players. I‘m not always successful, but I try. A player’s parent should have at least as much restraint as the average fan in a public forum, and In fact much more so. Give it some thought.

C'mon. There's a difference in being honest and "not being a class act" (cheap attack, honestly). Do you think his takes on the OL are wrong?

We are well versed in "coach speak" here. It's easy to see when someone is just saying "the right thing" over and over again. He could just post ra-ra posts "everything is going swell, working hard" etc. Or he can give his honest appraisal.

I mean - yeah - most parents are biased. The info the get on the team is filtered through their kids eyes and contact with the staff. As long as you factor that in when reading his posts (which most do), you can glean a lot of good info from the posts.

Lastly, you attribute a kind of nastiness to him that isn't warranted. He has opinions, but is good natured and just wants the team to do well.

I prefer honesty over piousness and coach speak. Maybe that makes me "new school"? lol

I think it’s fair to say everyone on here truly believes that TD should be the starter and should remain the starter throughout the season.

just hoping he really progressed this offseason.

Is it my faulty impression, or do quite a few Syracuse fans and writers about Syracuse see him as a disappointment?

He's not a Heisman candidate, nor likely to make All ACC, but last year he threw for 2360 yards and 19 TDs. His completion rate of 63.2% was 3rd best in the ACC. DeVito has more than enough skills to lead Syracuse to a bowl if he has a sufficient cast around him.
Devito? Elmore is our QB, and I hope you guys are preparing for him.

Wait, was I supposed to let that slip?

Devito? Elmore is our QB, and I hope you guys are preparing for him.

Wait, was I supposed to let that slip?

Rhino is just like Bugs Bunny vs. the Gashouse Gorillas.
He's playing ALL OF THE POSITIONS. :p

He was stupendous in the UNC game and did a nice job managing the offense in the FSU game. My concern was his performance in the ND in the same season...looked an awful lot like last season.

Here's hoping that the '18 UNC Tommy is the Tommy we see going into the future.
It seemed like Clark Lee figured out how to defend TD that game. Bring a lot of pressure and give multiple looks. It really confused TD and exposed weaknesses. After that every team had the same blue print and continued to constantly apply pressure. The OL did not help but TD did nothing to cause the defense to change their style of play against him.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

not sure you know this but the team we are playing this weekend has a kid name Sam Howell who threw for 3,641 yards and 38 tds in his true freshman year...

TD is good but...he’s not going to be that
If he was that good, I betcha he hits his sophomore slump ...and particularly because that kind of production will be very difficult to maintain

C'mon. There's a difference in being honest and "not being a class act" (cheap attack, honestly). Do you think his takes on the OL are wrong?

We are well versed in "coach speak" here. It's easy to see when someone is just saying "the right thing" over and over again. He could just post ra-ra posts "everything is going swell, working hard" etc. Or he can give his honest appraisal.

I mean - yeah - most parents are biased. The info the get on the team is filtered through their kids eyes and contact with the staff. As long as you factor that in when reading his posts (which most do), you can glean a lot of good info from the posts.

Lastly, you attribute a kind of nastiness to him that isn't warranted. He has opinions, but is good natured and just wants the team to do well.

I prefer honesty over piousness and coach speak. Maybe that makes me "new school"? lol
Apparently you missed, or decided to ignore, his direct negative comments regarding Dungey when posted under his first screen name. He also posted many "passive aggressive" comments about the staff and QB play.

For me, it is unconscionable for a parent to publicly criticize another play in an attempt to make his son look better.

His takes on the OL are not the issue. You know the OL was a problem, I know the OL was a problem, a visiting professor from Thailand who knew nothing about football knew the OL was a problem.

A player’s parent should be held to a higher standard Than you and I when it comes to being continually critical of his sons’ teammates on a public forum. He is not a normal fan.

For better or worse, the QB is seen as a leader and it does him no good to have his father publicly blaming the guys In front of him for his problems. Whether it is true or not doesn’t matter; it is a case of sometimes it is better for a player’s parent to know when to keep his mouth shut.

His takes on the OL are not the issue. You know the OL was a problem, I know the OL was a problem, a visiting professor from Thailand who knew nothing about football knew the OL was a problem.

A player’s parent should be held to a higher standard Than you and I when it comes to being continually critical of his sons’ teammates on a public forum. He is not a normal fan.

For better or worse, the QB is seen as a leader and it does him no good to have his father publicly blaming the guys In front of him for his problems. Whether it is true or not doesn’t matter; it is a case of sometimes it is better for a player’s parent to know when to keep his mouth shut.
What a hill to die on

Apparently you missed, or decided to ignore, his direct negative comments regarding Dungey when posted under his first screen name. He also posted many "passive aggressive" comments about the staff and QB play.

For me, it is unconscionable for a parent to publicly criticize another play in an attempt to make his son look better.

I don’t know. Just think the original post was a bit much.

I always read parents comments through the veil of assuming they are extremely biased towards their kid. I enjoy the access to insight despite that bias.

I also understand why the Dungey stuff was off putting and inappropriate.

Mixed bag for sure.

People want to focus on the OL issues in regards to pass pro, obviously, but it doesn’t help the passing game when our rushing attack consists of halfback dives for one yard over and over.
This is a thing, I think.

The philosophy is that spread it out enough, have enough of a passing threat, and a line that gives at least some resistance, and you can get an automatic 5 yards up the middle whenever you want.

But, uh... yeah.

:cool:
Btw I see on the train the train thread

ummm even dino apologized to tommy on that . I went nuts I wanted to kill him when I saw that live but ... Adams threw his man to the ground which we should have been flagged for then tommy threw the ball not seeing the defender lying on his back the guy popped up like a zombie and made a great play . As Dino said you don’t search the ground for defenders just a freak bad luck play and to the naked eye it was a brutal int
Fair enough- wasn’t aware of this backstory.

I don’t know. Just think the original post was a bit much.

Cusian, you are correct; I went overboard in suggesting that Mr. Devito lacked class and I want to publicly apologize to him for the inappropriate macro assessment.

That being said,I stand by a player’s parent repeatedly criticizing his son’s teammates as not being a classy ACT on the part of the parent.

The way to build up your son is to point to his many statistical achievements last year and hint about the good things to come. That is all you need to do if your position is sound. Running down his teammates reflects poorly on the player’s father IMHO. We all know the OL struggled mightily last year and they know it too. It is one thing for fans to point it out; to have their QB’s own father continually talk about it in a public forum crosses a line I think. They are supposed to be family, right?

The board ran his father off at one point. That should tell you how the fans feel. While there are some that defend him and chalk up that he has deficiencies, but he isn't put in the best position to succeed, they're not the majority.

The board ran his father off at one point. That should tell you how the fans feel. While there are some that defend him and chalk up that he has deficiencies, but he isn't put in the best position to succeed, they're not the majority.
To be fair theres many here who get far too much of a kick from antagonizing parents. I’d caution parents against this board in general. Even-tempered, and rational posters have never been anti-Tommy. We’re all excited about his potential and the flashes he’s shown (that beautiful long ball) have added fuel to some already unfair expectations. Yes, there’s plenty to improve on. Thats more than fair. But he’s got a great foundation.

My expectation for 2020 is improved red zone play and decision making while being forced outside the pocket. Additionally, I expect him to work through his reads when possible.

It’s amazing that in a nation so unified, free of partisan rancor and working together selflessly for the common good that we could see such acrimonious polarization on this board ... oh, wait.
Seriously, how about a moratorium until at least Saturday afternoon before summoning the circular firing squad?
For now, I’m buying into Servais, Bergeron, Carlos, Tisdale, Elmore, Davis, et al, being, as HCDB said, a proud, scrappy bunch, with a lot to prove, and the fire to do it. I’m buying into a healthy QB who has studied his ass off in the film room and will use that knowledge to capitalize on opportunities that veteran quarterbacks understand.
And sorry if this sounded like a scold. At least there’s a damn pulse here. Parents might not like the occasional criticism of their son. But it reflects the passion of the fans. Said it before: Syracuse fans are not only among the most knowledgeable, their love for the team is phenomenal. This site is an awesome resource.

It’s amazing that in a nation so unified, free of partisan rancor and working together selflessly for the common good that we could see such acrimonious polarization on this board ... oh, wait.
Seriously, how about a moratorium until at least Saturday afternoon before summoning the circular firing squad?
For now, I’m buying into Servais, Bergeron, Carlos, Tisdale, Elmore, Davis, et al, being, as HCDB said, a proud, scrappy bunch, with a lot to prove, and the fire to do it. I’m buying into a healthy QB who has studied his ass off in the film room and will use that knowledge to capitalize on opportunities that veteran quarterbacks understand.
And sorry if this sounded like a scold. At least there’s a damn pulse here. Parents might not like the occasional criticism of their son. But it reflects the passion of the fans. Said it before: Syracuse fans are not only among the most knowledgeable, their love for the team is phenomenal. This site is an awesome resource.
This post had a little of everything-some humor, slap in the face. pick me up, Rah-Rah. You've earned that like.

That first sentence is a beautiful one. Some great verbiage in there too. Well executed.

I only know Dick through the posts he’s made on various iterations of this board over the past 20 plus years and he’s anything but an “everyone gets a trophy” guy.

As valuable as their inside info may be, I don’t believe we’ve had a player’s relative who hasn’t made a regrettable post (maybe Shy’s dad).

Not iluvmygrands, bcubs, care taker/Redrum, etc.

I’m sure they’re good people and it can’t be easy reading criticism of one’s son/grandson.
Just wait till we get an actual player on the board:rolleyes: that’s when the drama truly starts:p

Just wait till we get an actual player on the board:rolleyes: that’s when the drama truly starts:p

Now that would be interesting...

I can only imagine how Perry might’ve responded to some of his grandmother’s posts.

Now that would be interesting...

I can only imagine how Perry might’ve responded to some of his grandmother’s posts.
I think it would be cool to have a player or coach do a (very heavily moderated I might add) Q/A with the board similar to what we did with the reporter last year

Status
Not open for further replies.