How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito? | Syracusefan.com

How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoadBlue

Starter
Is it my faulty impression, or do quite a few Syracuse fans and writers about Syracuse see him as a disappointment?

He's not a Heisman candidate, nor likely to make All ACC, but last year he threw for 2360 yards and 19 TDs. His completion rate of 63.2% was 3rd best in the ACC. DeVito has more than enough skills to lead Syracuse to a bowl if he has a sufficient cast around him.

Is it my faulty impression, or do quite a few Syracuse fans and writers about Syracuse see him as a disappointment?

He's not a Heisman candidate, nor likely to make All ACC, but last year he threw for 2360 yards and 19 TDs. His completion rate of 63.2% was 3rd best in the ACC. DeVito has more than enough skills to lead Syracuse to a bowl if he has a sufficient cast around him.
I think he will do great if the O-line gives him time to work. But, between injuries and the NCAA, we have huge doubts about the O-line

I feels there were things that were out of his control last year. OL. Play calling. However there were definitely things he needed to improve upon. Saturday should tell us of either or both were fixed.

I feels there were things that were out of his control last year. OL. Play calling. However there were definitely things he needed to improve upon. Saturday should tell us of either or both were fixed.
OL wont be fixed game 1 with no spring and injuries galore. I do think they will get better as the season progresses, we just have to hope that they don't get anyone killed until they do.

I am 100% in on TD. that said, he needs to play dynamically. Not robotically. He faced plenty of pressure last year and ran for his life at times. That said, he will face some of the same pressures and needs to show some moxy and ability to play on the run wo throwing the ball away when the first read breaks down. I love his arm, but at the end of the day, QBs need to show an ability to lead and buy time in the pocket under pressure. He hasn't done this. He is a great passer, he needs to become a great QB.

His lack of pocket presence worries me
The lack of a pocket worried me much more than his pocket presence.

Any QB in college football would have been shaky back there the first half of the season.

I think he’s going to be, at worst, top five in the ACC for the next 2-3 years. And his ceiling is higher than that.

Last year we had super high expectations and we didn't see the line being quite that bad. He's not without faults - and he played hurt - but most have regained the optimism. Or the haters are hiding lol.

I thought he had a decent season all things considered. He's got a great arm, can really move (not as elusive as Dungey?) and seams to have learned from last season. If we can protect him and run the ball a bit - the offense might spark and we'll have a much different season.

As others have said he's the least of our problems on offense, with that being said we need him to be a Leader on and off the field.

Im hoping for a solid season but honestly I have higher hopes for 2021 and his senior campaign.

He's the least of our problems. My only concern dating back to the intrasquad scrimmage last year when he threw a pick 6 is sometimes his vision of the field concerns me. The OL is going to struggle and he is not the only QB who has to overcome that. I expect him to be good and certainly better than he has been.

I worry a bit about him being shell shocked but I don't think he is wired to fail mentally as a person nor with the high school program he came from.
If we can limit big hits on him and give him a clean pocket for 3-4 seconds he will put up big numbers. If UNC don't overload blitz packages early and often they'd be absolute fools.

I think we are good with him. How about you? He came in for Dungey a couple years ago with you guys leading and at the end we won. So yea we are okay with him more concerned with our OL.

Listen, Devito's pocket awareness and escapability were downright awful the first quarter/third of the season. Then his escapability in the pocket became bad/less than average. Then he seemed to get a feel, and alas the last game of the season he was so hurt he couldn't play.

I say all this to say that he was awful in this respect, but was learning and improving all season. He will absolutely be better this year.

The other thing he really needs to work on is making decisions and getting the ball out. If he has improved here in the off-season, then we have something

As of right now, I feel like he’s been given zero chance to succeed. He’s not without blame, but the OL was an absolute dumpster fire last year, and this year we’re starting a fullback at guard..

I hope to eat crow, but unless Dino wants to solely recruit dual threat QBs, he better figure out how to build an OL.

You can somewhat hang with upper half P5 skill position players by bringing in scheme fit 3 stars, but the trenches are built different and we’ve barely had AAC level talent/development there recently, let alone ACC.

(And yes, I saw Enrique Cruz committed.. hopefully I eat crow this year and we build get some consistency moving forward)

Last edited:
He's the least of our problems. My only concern dating back to the intrasquad scrimmage last year when he threw a pick 6 is sometimes his vision of the field concerns me. The OL is going to struggle and he is not the only QB who has to overcome that. I expect him to be good and certainly better than he has been.

So - that streak of 100-something passes without an INT since then doesn’t count for anything? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.