How Many Plays Per Game for our D? | Syracusefan.com

How Many Plays Per Game for our D?

The defense has averaged 67.3 plays per game for Syracuse, versus 78.6 plays per game for the Offense.

Comparing performance on Offense and Defense for Oregon vs. Syracuse finds something interesting...

Syracuse has given up 3797 yards of Offense in 10 games. Oregon has given up 3776 yards. The difference is that Oregon has given up that many yards in 759 plays vs. 673 plays for the Syracuse defense. They are giving up 4.97 yards/play versus Syracuse giving up 5.64 yards/play.

Syracuse has given up 26.1 points/game versus 22.3 points/game for Oregon. Basically, Oregon's defense allows fewer yards per play, but still gives up enough yardage for opposing teams to get first downs and run more plays.

Oregon had given up 213 first down (21.3 per game) compared with 194 first downs given up by Syracuse (19.4 per game). An additional 2 first downs could add potentially 6 plays per game, which equates to 60 plays over 10 games. Oregon's defense has been on the field 86 more plays than Syracuse through the same amount of games (8.6 plays per game more than the SU defense).

Also note that Syracuse runs 78.6 plays per game on Offense while Oregon runs an average of 82.4 plays per game. Both are very high numbers, but it's interesting to see that Syracuse isn't far of Oregon's pace. One interesting difference is that Oregon averages 562.6 yards/game on Offense (6.8 yards/play) versus 469.8 yards/game for Syracuse (6.0 yards/play). With the extra 92.8 yards/game, Oregon is averaging 26.5 points more per game. Obviously, they have more explosive plays and are more efficient on offense than pretty much any other team in the country.

Interesting numbers. I wonder how TOP compares offensively. Oregon does well running the ball explosively, which helps in that regard.

My gut reaction when reading the original article was that Kelly and RichRod just don't care about defense, so no surprise their units are ailing.

Interesting numbers. I wonder how TOP compares offensively. Oregon does well running the ball explosively, which helps in that regard.

My gut reaction when reading the original article was that Kelly and RichRod just don't care about defense, so no surprise their units are ailing.

Oregon - 28:27, Syracuse - 29:23... personally, I thought there would be a much bigger disparity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom