How many years are fans willing to give JB to turn this around? | Syracusefan.com

How many years are fans willing to give JB to turn this around?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
And when I say turn this around I say 23 plus wins and not getting Washington Generaled every time we play Louisville and UNC like we have been the past 3 years.

I'll say if we don't finish in the top third of the ACC by 2019 we are in trouble.

May I remind you that we went to the Final Four last year?

Reading your post, one would think we were on a level with Rutgers (last winning season in 2006),
We went to the F4 last year? huh

And when I say turn this around I say 23 plus wins and not getting Washington Generaled every time we play Louisville and UNC like we have been the past 3 years.

I'll say if we don't finish in the top third of the ACC by 2019 we are in trouble.

Wow...JB is not faultless by any means nor should he be immune from criticism but his seat will not get hot for all of his success over the years and loyalty to the school.

Don't worry, he will probably retire in the next few years. I'm more worried about what happens when he retires, even though SU has an awful lot going for it (facilities/fan support/ACC membership/etc).

Tough to answer that directly-worded question without sounding like a spoiled SU fan. Because I'm not in a position to give Boeheim anything.

But if the team goes, say, 28-19 between now and the start of league play in January 2019? There will be a lot of questions among the fanbase and even the typically squirmy local press.

(That, checking the numbers, would be a 2017-2018 record to match last year's, plus another four-loss non-conference run the following year.)

This is another reason why this is an interesting time for the program: in my opinion, there's either going to be a quick resurgence of regular-season success or an acceleration of the transition process. Double-digit losses and more .600 basketball aren't what the athletic department is looking for.

More bubble seasons are just not okay. Not for Syracuse. Yes, a recruit like Bazely is on board and Buddy is en route too but play on the court must improve. I also don't want to keep looking completely overmatched against the Louisvilles and UNCs. We caught Duke sans Jefferson at the Dome I believe.

I'm not pretending the most recent F4 didn't happen, but, getting there as a 10 seed is extremely unlikely and not a recipe for success. I'd like to see better fundamentals and detail executed on the court but that may not ever happen again with this staff. No more non-conference debacles as well. We'll see.

More bubble seasons are just not okay. Not for Syracuse. Yes, a recruit like Bazely is on board and Buddy is en route too but play on the court must improve. I also don't want to keep looking completely overmatched against the Louisvilles and UNCs. We caught Duke sans Jefferson at the Dome I believe.

I'm not pretending the most recent F4 didn't happen, but, getting there as a 10 seed is extremely unlikely and not a recipe for success. I'd like to see better fundamentals and detail executed on the court but that may not ever happen again with this staff. No more non-conference debacles as well. We'll see.

I think you see the losses more clearly than the wins (you're not alone in that, btw, and not intended as a rip on you):
last season, got blown out once by Louisville but took them to OT in the other game.
took a double digit loss to them at their place the year before, but beat them by double digits in the dome the year before that. that's the sum total of our ACC matchups.
UNC definitely has outclassed the Orange

I really like the talent on the squad now. I think this team will win between 9 and 11 conference games this year, and contend for the league title in 2019.

I think you see the losses more clearly than the wins (you're not alone in that, btw, and not intended as a rip on you):
last season, got blown out once by Louisville but took them to OT in the other game.
took a double digit loss to them at their place the year before, but beat them by double digits in the dome the year before that. that's the sum total of our ACC matchups.
UNC definitely has outclassed the Orange

I really like the talent on the squad now. I think this team will win between 9 and 11 conference games this year, and contend for the league title in 2019.

Yeah, it is not as lopsided as I thought. In ACC play that is. Pitino vs JB all time is another story. I don't know. I just never have a good feeling against them or any of the ACC powers. Often we are holding these teams down, keeping them stagnant, but just can't score until they figure it out 2H and we can't score or adjust. I don't know. Maybe I should be more optimistic like you.

Yeah, it is not as lopsided as I thought. In ACC play that is. Pitino vs JB all time is another story. I don't know. I just never have a good feeling against them or any of the ACC powers. Often we are holding these teams down, keeping them stagnant, but just can't score until they figure it out 2H and we can't score or adjust. I don't know. Maybe I should be more optimistic like you.
Check how the Orange have done vs Duke since joining the ACC.

We have been mediocre in the regular season for 3 years in a row.

Next year is going likely be 4 years in a row.

JB has to own that and that has been my frustration. We don't change the offense and continue the same old same ole even if the personnel doesn't fit.

Next year is a pass because of Bazley in 2018.
Get Carey and go after King hard.

We need recruiting wins. As the roster right now is the worst roster in decades. I just want the roster to
Develop and Battle get drafted in the first round.

Check how the Orange have done vs Duke since joining the ACC.

That is somewhat fair I suppose. I don't want to go back and forth but one must analyze those situations and the context of the games. They are obviously a better matchup than UL or UNC. More finesse. It is also fair to point out that I am pretty sure both the Ws recently came when Jefferson was out or hobbled. He has been their toughest player and best rebounder. We also caught them during the part of their seasons before they improved their defensive focus and toughness.

2016 is such a hard year to evaluate. Not a "Syracuse Level" year in many ways, but we got to the final 4 which still makes it a greate year. I look at 2016 though in context with 2015 and 2017, and we have 3 bubble level years in a row. That's not where Syracuse should be,

I put "Syracuse Level" in quotations because that term is entirely based on the successes of JB in the past. And because of that JB deserves quite a bit of time still. No one likes where we are at, but we have not yet been really bad either. Things can turn quickly within 2/3 years.

2016 is such a hard year to evaluate. Not a "Syracuse Level" year in many ways, but we got to the final 4 which still makes it a greate year. I look at 2016 though in context with 2015 and 2017, and we have 3 bubble level years in a row. That's not where Syracuse should be,

I put "Syracuse Level" in quotations because that term is entirely based on the successes of JB in the past. And because of that JB deserves quite a bit of time still. No one likes where we are at, but we have not yet been really bad either. Things can turn quickly within 2/3 years.
Yep, when a career .740 coach rips off a run of .600 years, the worst streak of his career, it's understandable that people are concerned.

May I remind you that we went to the Final Four last year?

No one will ever be able to take that magical run from us, but if we want to go to future Final Fours, we have to aim to be a Top 4 seed as opposed to losing 14-15 games in the regular season.

Last edited:
We have been a mediocre ACC team, FF in 2016 or not. Next year may be another mediocre (if that) year. This is not what anyone envisioned when we made the conference switch. Hoping when Bazley and company come aboard things get back to normal.

There is a reason coaches like Jamie Dixon and Rick Pitino do well against us.

If the opponent has a brain they know everything we are going to do.
When you can prepare for us we are screwed.
We do well in tournament situations where teams don't get a lot of time to prepare.

JB is a routine coach. That works when the talent fits the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom