How many years are fans willing to give JB to turn this around? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How many years are fans willing to give JB to turn this around?

More bubble seasons are just not okay. Not for Syracuse. Yes, a recruit like Bazely is on board and Buddy is en route too but play on the court must improve. I also don't want to keep looking completely overmatched against the Louisvilles and UNCs. We caught Duke sans Jefferson at the Dome I believe.

I'm not pretending the most recent F4 didn't happen, but, getting there as a 10 seed is extremely unlikely and not a recipe for success. I'd like to see better fundamentals and detail executed on the court but that may not ever happen again with this staff. No more non-conference debacles as well. We'll see.

Your posts are excellent! You keep it real, giving concrete constructive angles/criticisms. And, you don't shy away from even the so called "well established" here. As a diehard fan that bleeds orange too, I'll say it is rather refreshing.

I don't pretend the F4 in '16 didn't happen either, but it's interesting how so many use this as a shield to our recent struggles, like placing blinders on. As mentioned, we were a 10 seed, and a lot of us, if all were transparent, would have admitted we were toast after losing to Pitt for yet the third time that year in the ACC tourney. Most (even many solid/respected) talking heads had that game as a play in game to the Dance, the loser being out. Incredibly, we got a 10 seed, and a favorable draw in playing an overseeded 7 in Dayton. Miraculously, we got to the Final Four. It was a great run, I was in Chicago for the Regionals and Houston at the team hotel for the F4. It was remarkable for sure!

However, I'm also not going to pretend that had we not been so fortunate in getting that invite, we would've missed the dance three years in a row, with 4 in a row being right at the doorstep. Oh, and still yet to even win a one ACC tournament game. That, quite frankly, is unacceptable imo, if not flat out pathetic.

There is a reason coaches like Jamie Dixon and Rick Pitino do well against us.

If the opponent has a brain they know everything we are going to do.
When you can prepare for us we are screwed.
We do well in tournament situations where teams don't get a lot of time to prepare.

JB is a routine coach. That works when the talent fits the system.

Love ya, Alsacs, but this is one of the dumbest posts that I have ever seen on the basketball forum.

It all comes down to talent and execution. In the big scheme of things, system is WAY down the list.

I honestly don't mean to call you out, because as you know we are often on the same page. But c'mon...

We have been a mediocre ACC team, FF in 2016 or not. Next year may be another mediocre (if that) year. This is not what anyone envisioned when we made the conference switch. Hoping when Bazley and company come aboard things get back to normal.

we're 5th in the conference in wins since we arrived. I thought we'd be top 4, but given the circumstances of probation, I can live with 5th (and we're just 1 game out of 4th)

The NCAA sanctions were meant to hurt the team, and they did. They have ended now, can people stop taking up trashing JB where the NCAA left off and give him a chance post sanctions.
This is conveniently forgotten by many people.

Love ya, Alsacs, but this is one of the dumbest posts that I have ever seen on the basketball forum.

It all comes down to talent and execution. In the big scheme of things, system is WAY down the list.

I honestly don't mean to call you out, because as you know we are often on the same page. But c'mon...
We don't change. This is a fact.

If I know exactly how someone is going to behave it is a lot easier to prepare for. Even when we don't have the talent to do what we want to do we still do it the same way.

Our offense doesn't change and our defense doesn't change no matter the talent.

That isn't how it should be. If the talent is there okay do it that way but if the talent isn't there then you have to scheme to what is their strength.

That is my point.

We don't change. This is a fact.

If I know exactly how someone is going to behave it is a lot easier to prepare for. Even when we don't have the talent to do what we want to do we still do it the same way.

Our offense doesn't change and our defense doesn't change no matter the talent.

That isn't how it should be. If the talent is there okay do it that way but if the talent isn't there then you have to scheme to what is their strength.

That is my point.

Indiana used to run ONE offensive play under Bobby Knight. One. People knew what was coming, stopping it was another matter.

When we have the right personnel, then playing zone isn't the liability some would like to pretend. Other years, it isn't as formidable. Just like every offense and defense for every team out there ebbs and flows based upon the personnel those teams have.

Now, if you want to discuss whether it is the best idea to lock into only one type of defense and not be able to switch, that's a different discussion.

Indiana used to run ONE offensive play under Bobby Knight. One. People knew what was coming, stopping it was another matter.

When we have the right personnel, then playing zone isn't the liability some would like to pretend. Other years, it isn't as formidable. Just like every offense and defense for every team out there ebbs and flows based upon the personnel those teams have.

Now, if you want to discuss whether it is the best idea to lock into only one type of defense and not be able to switch, that's a different discussion.
If your atheltes can't play zone, they likely can't play man to man.

Indiana ran a motion offense so all the players we always moving and thus the ball was moving.
Our offensive identity is ball screen and play 1 on 1 or make a tough jump shot.

If your atheltes can't play zone, they likely can't play man to man.
This is opinion.

If you have small guards then penetrating a zone is a lot easier.
Also rebounding in man to man is a lot easier. Rebounding negates second chance points.

Thus your theory isn't anymore right than wrong.

Indiana ran a motion offense so all the players we always moving and thus the ball was moving.
Our offensive identity is ball screen and play 1 on 1 or make a tough jump shot.

It's amazing that our coach has won 75% of his games and amassed 1000 victories, being so subpar as both an offensive and defensive coach.

I'm gonna refrain from reading on. All I will say is that when he decides to retire is when the real questions start.

This is conveniently forgotten by many people.
I agree but right or wrong JB is steering the ship when the improprieties occurred so he has to live with what follows. Buddy gives JB 4 more years unless something happens that is age related. I think his effort and energy level are up and I think BUddy's signing has been a big factor in that. Now if he doesn't take another Olympic vacation life should be better.

Indiana didn't make it out of the first weekend of the tourney during Knights last 6 seasons there. Someone clearly figured out how to stop it, which is probably why Knight was so angry all the time choking people and what not.

It's amazing that our coach has won 75% of his games and amassed 1000 victories, being so subpar as both an offensive and defensive coach.
Cmon on man.

Talent has been a huge advantage.

Also we had a better offense before. It has deteriorated and if it has deteriorated because of talent that is on the coach who was mailing in recruiting.

It's fine to mention the sanctions. I get they have hurt us. I wish sanctions were hurting Louisville as bad as us. I didn't want this thread to get emotional, but this topic is difficult to discuss with the board.

Are people willing to be patient this year. Jury's out. We've had a few rough seasons for Syracuse standards and I sense a lot of fans are sick of it.

It's fine to mention the sanctions. I get they have hurt us. I wish sanctions were hurting Louisville as bad as us. I didn't want this thread to get emotional, but this topic is difficult to discuss with the board.

Are people willing to be patient this year. Jury's out. We've had a few rough seasons for Syracuse standards and I sense a lot of fans are sick of it.

Depends, not all mediocre seasons are equal.

For instance, I'd lean toward 'no' on your question about patience. 19-15 stinks, and I thought the 2015-2016 regular season, save a couple moments like Senior Day, was brutal. But the team was fairly entertaining for stretches of last season, and they saved their high points for the right times: great conference home games against the best opponents. So I legitimately had fun at the games last season, which surprises me a little given the relatively limited success.

That was a rambling way of saying that another double-digit loss season sounds bad on paper, but maybe it wouldn't try our patience as much as we think. It'd help if we won an ACC tournament game, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom