How much did leaving the Big East really hurt the program? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

How much did leaving the Big East really hurt the program?

Um, hello, Syracuse is still located in the Northeast. And I guess you’re blind to us playing in Boston every year, in NYC every year, and at least every other year in DC. Oh, and Charlottesville is close to the DMV. We just have to renew the series with Nova so we can get back into Philly regularly.

Guess you also missed the fact that Big East schools Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, and Xavier (half the conference!) are 1,000 miles+ from the Northeast.

Is your post meant to be sarcasm?
Yeah, it wasn't the move out of the Big East itself but an inability to adapt and get the best kids from DMV/ACC Country, and JB's inability to make enough in-game adjustments to hang in the top five of the standings in any given year.

The Big East had phenomenal coaches, but K, Roy and Bennett in the 2010's were a clear step up in competition.

Last edited:
The discussion of travel to away games brought another question to mind. How many of the old Big East teams played their home games in an on-campus facility, and how many used public arenas? Among other things, back when Notre Dame joined the conference, there was a discussion in one of their forums about traveling to Duke for a basketball game. Those posting seemed of the opinion that they could simply travel to Durham and buy a ticket with no difficulty. In the ACC, such wasn't the simplest thing to do at schools with their own on-campus arena. Most of those schools' games were sell-outs in preseason. When Syracuse joined the conference, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Duke, and Clemson all owned their facilities. I'm not exactly clear on N C State, Georgia Tech, Miami, or FSU. Wake Forest does play in a public facility, I think. Would Syracuse's ability to travel in numbers to away games have been facilitated by the fact that opponents were playing in public coliseums? Just a bit curious.

The discussion of travel to away games brought another question to mind. How many of the old Big East teams played their home games in an on-campus facility, and how many used public arenas? Among other things, back when Notre Dame joined the conference, there was a discussion in one of their forums about traveling to Duke for a basketball game. Those posting seemed of the opinion that they could simply travel to Durham and buy a ticket with no difficulty. In the ACC, such wasn't the simplest thing to do at schools with their own on-campus arena. Most of those schools' games were sell-outs in preseason. When Syracuse joined the conference, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Duke, and Clemson all owned their facilities. I'm not exactly clear on N C State, Georgia Tech, Miami, or FSU. Wake Forest does play in a public facility, I think. Would Syracuse's ability to travel in numbers to away games have been facilitated by the fact that opponents were playing in public coliseums? Just a bit curious.

Big East OGs
Arena: Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall, Nova, Georgetown
On Campus: SU, Pitt, BC
Both: UConn

Expanded Big East
Arena: None
On Campus: VA Tech, Rutgers, WV, Notre Dame, Miami

New Big East
Arena: Louisville, Marquette, DePaul
On Campus: USF, Cincinatti

Big East OGs

Expanded Big East

New Big East
I vaguely remember games against Pitt at Civic Arena.

I vaguely remember games against Pitt at Civic Arena.

We probably had some games moved there but their primary was that little gym, no? Also, I might be misremembering but I think we played Miami at the NBA arena as well. Teams tried to take advantage at the gate when they played us.

And UConn gets the ACC invite that we turn down.
This is what a lot of people fail to consider - that WVU, Uconn, Pitt and Rutgers would all still likely have bolted for money, and then where would we have been? SU didn't start conference realignment. We saw the writing on the wall and jumped when offered a lifeline.

This is what a lot of people fail to consider - that WVU, Uconn, Pitt and Rutgers would all still likely have bolted for money, and then where would we have been? SU didn't start conference realignment. We saw the writing on the wall and jumped when offered a lifeline.

Does the ACC expand without us? If we stayed does the B1G take us? If the B1G still takes Maryland, does the ACC take 1 or 3 teams?

I don't think the Big East splits had we stayed. It is possible that SU, Pitt, UConn, Nova, Cincinnati, ECU, USF, UCF, Army, Navy is the FB side and SU, Pitt, UConn, Nova, Cincinnati, ECU, USF, UCF, Notre Dame, Providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Butler is the BBall side. So we trade Louisville and Rutgers for ECU, UCF, Butler which is a big step down in BBall and possibly a wash in FB.

Our FB would have been left behind and we would be making a lot less money.

Big East OGs

Expanded Big East

New Big East
Villanova plays most (not all) of its games on-campus. Big games at the Wells Fargo Center.

Seton Hall started on campus, then went to the Meadowlands/Izod Center (it is gone now and the Pirates have since moved to the Prudential Center).

Pitt played many games downtown (Civic Center) before they built their on-campus arena.

Miami started on-campus then moved to the old Miami Arena (non-campus) for about 14-15 years before their new arena opened.

Mike DeCourcy is a clown - I agree that MSG/Big East were a big deal, but the idea Syracuse can never reach the level they were at ten years ago is just stupid.

If we were still in the Big East with a 78 year old coach, we’d be in about the same position we are now, with about the same potential to get back to a regularly top 10 program making Final Fours.
Totally agree. The ACC has never been more open. Legends are gone. Tony bennett the only one left. We’re in a new age for ACC hoops and there’s no reason Syracuse can’t be in the top 3-4 every year. Let’s go Red

Miami has done the best?? Lol. They’ve had a two good years in a row. But they were trash or middle of the pack most years since we joined in 2014.
While I thought they did better it just goes to prove my point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom