How much does being the #1 team... | Syracusefan.com

How much does being the #1 team...

RF2044

Living Legend
...and taking every other team's best shot due to being ranked #1 factor into some of the close games we've had?

I think there's something to be said for that. I also think that other teams really want to be the first to take us down. There's a certain arrogance to being undefeated that other teams want to take from you.

I think SU takes everyone's best shot because it is a consistently successful and highly visible program, and that this has been the case for a while. This season is simply a continuation of that trend.

I don't believe the fact that SU is ranked #1 as opposed to #3 or #10 or #15 makes a hell of a lot of difference. Several games have been close because the competition is good, and SU has multiple players who can make big plays in big moments to help the team overcome obstacles that might otherwise result in losses on some nights (sub-par shooting performances, lack of 3-point threats, lack of bench scoring, poor defensive rebounding, foul trouble...).

...and taking every other team's best shot due to being ranked #1 factor into some of the close games we've had?
I think being unbeaten is the bigger factor - everyone wants to known as the team that knocked us off. A big feather for a bubble team come selection Sunday.

Yeah I can see the unbeaten thing playing more of a role than being #1 as opposed to #2 or #3 or whatever.

For a while I thought Pitt would be our first loss. (And it damn near was). I still think we're gonna slip up once or twice before conf tournament.

I think there is a lot to that, its not hard to get a team up to play the number one team in the country when you are going nowhere. When you are the number one team, and you have played an epic game against duke, and will be playing for nc in a month, I don't think its always easy to get up to play nc state or miami.

I'm sure it's a factor. Probably very difficult to quantify from a fan perspective, but Vegas likely factors it into their formulas.

Regardless, it is a GREAT problem to have.

Here are the %s I'll attribute to these close games.
  • Playing down to the comp
    • 60% - IMO, we play down to the comp early because they know JB is going to make them run the full Marathon. When the end is in sight, we kick the intensity up.
    • Playing down to the comp is worthy of a whole thread unto itself. It could just be my orange myopia, but I don't often see other elite teams do it. I mean Florida is just out there cracking skulls.
  • Not playing Roberson
    • 10% - It is related to "playing to the comp". Let there be no doubt that our players are gassed. I'll go anti-Boeheim here and postulate that a 15% less talented player is about as good as a more talented player whom is "going through the motions".
  • The comp giving us their best shot
    • 10% - if we listen to the board geniuses, other teams have inferior coaching and talent. So, whether someone gives us their best shot or not, it should only matter in a minority of cases.
  • Inferior talent
    • 15% of the time this might be true; 85% of the time it is false
  • Inferior strategy
    • 85% of the time this is un-noticable because of our talent. 15% of the time it is.
  • Refereeing
    • Whatever 3 out of ~30 games is. I count Pitt, and will count @ duke and @ UVA as problem areas

Also because I love animal metaphors:

I liken us to a buddy of mines childhood home. HHe had like 5 dogs amongst them was a had a huge boxer(110 pound, just massive for the breed), super nice dog, and cat, satans spawn. Anyway this cat would generally ignore the small dogs and pay them no mind. But when the big dog walked by this cat was full on Bruce lee. He would swipe, corner and his at this mammoth. Finally, dog got sick of it. This dog literally punched this cat square in the face. The cat then tried to run... dog gave chase and whopped it's asss.

This cat WANTED the big dog. We may let teams punk us for awhile.but once we realize in our heads that we are bigger and better. We put them in their place.

I think it plays a small factor but is getting a little overblown in this thread.
I think it is a huge factor. Look at NC State - for us, a sandwich game that can do nothing for us. For them - calendar circled, season defining win. You know Gottfried was pumping that in their heads. It can be the deciding factor come selection Sunday for them.

This team doesn't have the highest ceiling of any team in the country. However, we get everyone's best punch as most teams want resume wins. It seems we have only really raised our play 1 time this year at home versus Duke. Which isn't shocking when you have 35k and boatloads of hype for the game. I think come tournament time this time will get up for every game and kick it up a notch. Its like baseball when your the Red Sox/Yankees when you go to Kansas City more people show up and the games matter more to the opponent than they do you in the middle of July/August or the NBA for Jordan's Bulls in the late 90;s or today with Lebron and the Heat. This team has coasted for the most part and Ennis being special has lead the team to several close wins where we could have lost.

When you are desperate and have nothing else to lose, you are dangerous.

When you are otherwise immaculate, trying to remain perfect is a heavy burden.

Everyone awaits our loss with bated breath.
+1

I think it is a huge factor. Look at NC State - for us, a sandwich game that can do nothing for us. For them - calendar circled, season defining win. You know Gottfried was pumping that in their heads. It can be the deciding factor come selection Sunday for them.
Your side of the argument can't have it both ways.

Is it: The games don't matter as much to Cuse so it's easy to get beat?

Or is it: The games matter MORE to Cuse because of the pressure to remain undefeated, and thus it's easier to play tight and get beat.

Both claims are being made, and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think the "we're getting everyone's best shot!" argument is becoming severely overhyped.

Also because I love animal metaphors:

I liken us to a buddy of mines childhood home. HHe had like 5 dogs amongst them was a had a huge boxer(110 pound, just massive for the breed), super nice dog, and cat, satans spawn. Anyway this cat would generally ignore the small dogs and pay them no mind. But when the big dog walked by this cat was full on Bruce lee. He would swipe, corner and his at this mammoth. Finally, dog got sick of it. This dog literally punched this cat square in the face. The cat then tried to run... dog gave chase and whopped it's asss.

This cat WANTED the big dog. We may let teams punk us for awhile.but once we realize in our heads that we are bigger and better. We put them in their place.

Exactly. People are trying to tell us (including our own fans and coach) that we are not the best team in the country. I think we are and we should stop hanging our heads about it. Has CJ and Grant played up to even 50% of their potential since the Duke game? Imagine if everyone gets going against BC tomorrow. Blowout.

We'll take BC out tomorrow and the team will be motivated to beat Duke. My concern is @Maryland. Will we be motivated to beat them after a draining performance @ Duke and only two days to rest.

I think, more than anything, it is just the style of this team. Ennis keeps things at a slow pace for the entire game, limiting opportunities for both teams. On the defensive end, we make nearly every possession a real grind for the opposition, even when they do score. When crunch time rolls around, the opponents are mentally fatigued while our guys just keep on executing. It only takes 1 or 2 mistakes by the opponents to seal their fate.

the 2014 Orange are like an anaconda - it takes a while to constrict the opposition into submission, but it always happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom