How much does it suck to be UofL right now? | Syracusefan.com

How much does it suck to be UofL right now?

nzm136

All Conference
I hear Arkansas is talking to Charlie Strong to boot!

Not only are they hopelessly stuck in the REALLY watered down BE, but they might even lose their football coach.

Also, how great does it feel to be WVU? They were ALMOST in UofL's position.

Not a great day for UConn either...UL might lose two great coaches in about 6 years.

They're the only ones I feel anything for. I think they'd already be in the Big XII if there were a twelfth team worthy of being in that conference, which, aside from BYU, there is not.

Not a great day for UConn either...UL might lose two great coaches in about 6 years.
That's right, Calhoun retired. The BIG EAST is now officiall supper screwed. ND is out, UCONN basketball is over, and U of L football might soon be over. Who else is left in the conference? UC?

They're the only ones I feel anything for. I think they'd already be in the Big XII if there were a twelfth team worthy of being in that conference, which, aside from BYU, there is not.
I know. BYU is their only hope. Imagine the day where the Big XII decides that they want to go to 12, and sicne they cant raid any of the big 5, they have to take BYU and UofL. Then the BIG EAST will be COMPLETELY empty, and HUGE. BSU will be the big loser when that day comes.

I hear Arkansas is talking to Charlie Strong to boot!

Not only are they hopelessly stuck in the REALLY watered down BE, but they might even lose their football coach.

Also, how great does it feel to be WVU? They were ALMOST in UofL's position.

Louisville was 16th in D1 in total revenue in 2010. They are next up.

Did the Big East ever approve a grant of rights or higher exit fees? I know they were talking about it but I do not remember hearing anything was ever voted on. Big 12 might move now that ND is out for them and may decide to approach U of L and maybe Cinn or BYU, especially if they think they may get raided from the Pac 12 or Louisville might come off the table if the ACC decides to go 16 at some point.

That's right, Calhoun retired. The BIG EAST is now officiall supper screwed. ND is out, UCONN basketball is over, and U of L football might soon be over. Who else is left in the conference? UC?

The Big East was officially "supper screwed" the day that John Marinatto was ousted.

Lobster tetrazzini anyone?

I would gladly trade places with Louisville in the polls.

GsE3k.jpg

Louisville was 16th in D1 in total revenue in 2010. They are next up.
i wonder how they make so much money, if it's just that their tickets are expensive or if it's something else. their attendance is ok in football, really good in basketball but they make so much

i wonder how they make so much money, if it's just that their tickets are expensive or if it's something else. their attendance is ok in football, really good in basketball but they make so much
i think they will schedule hoop games whenever they want...and the fans wont complain and will show up. i also think they will put the $$ for tix at whatever they want...and the fans wont complain and will buy.

:eek:

Oh Lord

I'm always skeptical of those revenue numbers that get reported. They're so easily goosed. But if L'ville does make that much coin, then it's probably due to...

images

Louisville got 5k at the Yum Center for volleyball. Repeat volleyball. Great attendance to women's bball as well. It's not all smoke and mirrors.

Louisville got 5k at the Yum Center for volleyball. Repeat volleyball. Great attendance to women's bball as well. It's not all smoke and mirrors.

Are they charging $2,000 per ticket for the volleyball game? Otherwise, I don't really see how much of a dent that makes. Even if you exponentially apply to all non revenue sports and all games. Tickets for those games are usually very cheap, if not free.

Their football attendance isn't SEC. It's barely middle of the pack ACC. I'm sure Men's hoops is a tough ticket and drives much of the revenue bus.

Are they charging $2,000 per ticket for the volleyball game? Otherwise, I don't really see how much of a dent that makes. Even if you exponentially apply to all non revenue sports and all games. Tickets for those games are usually very cheap, if not free.

Their football attendance isn't SEC. It's barely middle of the pack ACC. I'm sure Men's hoops is a tough ticket and drives much of the revenue bus.
Exactly. There's a reason they're called non-revenue sports. Very few schools are lucky enough to have a sport other than football or men's basketball be profitable for them. Some schools have men's hockey to be a revenue maker and there are years that our lacrosse program has been in the black, but for the most part, all of these sports are funded through others. There are very few women's programs that make money in any sport, and attendance numbers don't tell the story for the most part.

It has been explained on the board before, it's corporate revenue from boxes and such.

I have to cede to your point Chip. It is definitely basketball that is driving the revenue train.

http://www.louisvillecardinal.com/2011/12/basketball-highest-total-revenue-nation/

I think my point was more aligned to the fact that the university gets a ton of support for their secondary programs. Enough so that they can easily pay for themselves to a large degree; or at least not drink so heavily on the basketball/football teat.

The facilities are great too. They have hosted NCAA tournament events for basketball, baseball, softball, field hockey and XC (this year). They are generating revenue from that. They also sell a ton of merchandise - tons of Cardware available.

I have to cede to your point Chip. It is definitely basketball that is driving the revenue train.

http://www.louisvillecardinal.com/2011/12/basketball-highest-total-revenue-nation/

I think my point was more aligned to the fact that the university gets a ton of support for their secondary programs. Enough so that they can easily pay for themselves to a large degree; or at least not drink so heavily on the basketball/football teat.

The facilities are great too. They have hosted NCAA tournament events for basketball, baseball, softball, field hockey and XC (this year). They are generating revenue from that. They also sell a ton of merchandise - tons of Cardware available.

Well, the point of support isn't a bad one actually. If they do get all of that support for all sports, then it's possible they outpace peer schools in terms of donations. Maybe the hoops fans pay an astronomical amount for premium seats, PSL's, whatever. I'd be interested to see the breakout of their revenues, can't remember if Go had ever posted that detail, but I believe he has at some point.

Well, the point of support isn't a bad one actually. If they do get all of that support for all sports, then it's possible they outpace peer schools in terms of donations. Maybe the hoops fans pay an astronomical amount for premium seats, PSL's, whatever. I'd be interested to see the breakout of their revenues, can't remember if Go had ever posted that detail, but I believe he has at some point.

I found this link, its from 2010 numbers but relevant.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/08/11/Colleges/Louisville.aspx

Revenue from the football program "had plummeted to $12.8 million" in '09, but it "rose sharply to a school-record $21.5 million in the first season of the expanded 52,000-seat facility." The men's basketball program "generated a record $24.765 million in 2010-11," with suite rentals at KFC Yum! Center "accounting for $5.7 million and ticket sales another $14 million." Overall, "donations -- most in the form of annual seat donations -- were the main area that came in above projections, $4.6 million higher, and were the biggest pleasant surprise for school officials" (Louisville COURIER-JOURNAL, 8/10).

I always wondered the same thing about Enron...they just made so much money.

No academics. Ifacademics didn't matter, WVU would be in teh ACC.
I don't think he meant next up for the ACC. I think he meant next up to leave the BE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom