How to Handle an Early Departure | Syracusefan.com

How to Handle an Early Departure

He's not ready. Listening to the wrong people. Not a lottery pick. Let me see - is there anything else I can say to drive his earning ability down?

Tatum is a top 5 pick, its a no brainer, if Lydon was a top 5 pick virtually no one would have a problem with him leaving.
Tatum is a stud. I think the point is when you are talking about impacting a huge amount of money - say something not negative even if you don't believe it. I wish him well and hope he goes high. Or whatever.

Tatum is a top 5 pick, its a no brainer, if Lydon was a top 5 pick virtually no one would have a problem with him leaving.

That's not the point. The point is, Coach K doesn't campaign against his kids turning pro to the press in the early season if they are getting recognition in the mock drafts.

Now, I'm not an idiot. I understand that Boeheim wants to keep kids committed to getting better and doesn't want them checking out mentally like Donte Greene did. He wants them committed to winning. But putting down a kid like Chris McCullough after a half dozen games is not what you want to do when you get McDonald's level talent.

Build the kid up. I'm sick of him trashing his own players in the press.

He's not ready. Listening to the wrong people. Not a lottery pick. Let me see - is there anything else I can say to drive his earning ability down?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's not the point. The point is, Coach K doesn't campaign against his kids turning pro to the press in the early season if they are getting recognition in the mock drafts.

Now, I'm not an idiot. I understand that Boeheim wants to keep kids committed to getting better and doesn't want them checking out mentally like Donte Greene did. He wants them committed to winning. But putting down a kid like Chris McCullough after a half dozen games is not what you want to do when you get McDonald's level talent.

Build the kid up. I'm sick of him trashing his own players in the press.

If he doesn't think they should go, is he suppose to lie to them? Not everyone is ready to play in the Nba, despite what some on here believe. No one is putting a kid down, its not a knock telling someone they need another year of college.

If he doesn't think they should go, is he suppose to lie to them? Not everyone is ready to play in the Nba, despite what some on here believe. No one is putting a kid down, its not a knock telling someone they need another year of college.

No, but does he have to tell the newspapers?
You know, most professional coaches talk to the players privately about stuff. Except for the super-ego people out there, you don't find them managing players in the press.

Look at baseball, for instance. Those guys have to spend 7 or 8 months together, playing almost every day. The NBA is the same way. Coaches like Popovich or Joe Torre or Joe Girardi, you don't hear them bashing players in the newspaper unless there is a real problem and they can't communicate with the guy.

There is a certain sanctity of the locker room / club house that Boeheim just doesn't seem to "get".

No, but does he have to tell the newspapers?
You know, most professional coaches talk to the players privately about stuff. Except for the super-ego people out there, you don't find them managing players in the press.

Look at baseball, for instance. Those guys have to spend 7 or 8 months together, playing almost every day. The NBA is the same way. Coaches like Popovich or Joe Torre or Joe Girardi, you don't hear them bashing players in the newspaper unless there is a real problem and they can't communicate with the guy.

There is a certain sanctity of the locker room / club house that Boeheim just doesn't seem to "get".

He does talk to them privately, if someone asks him their opinion on whether they need another year or not, and he tells them they could use another year, what's wrong with that?

He does talk to them privately, if someone asks him their opinion on whether they need another year or not, and he tells them they could use another year, what's wrong with that?
Not what he's saying. I'm sure he talks privately. But don't be negative outside the walls.

When's the last time we had a player like Jayson Tatum come to Cuse?

Jayson Tatum is a pro. His game is smooth and will translate easily to the next level. Lydon and many of the early departures of recent years are not and weren't NBA caliber players.

He is the closest that we have had to him, had he not got hurt he would have been close.

Uh, no.

Tatum is a gifted scorer, looks like Durant 2.0.
CMac... not so much.

Uh, no.

Tatum is a gifted scorer, looks like Durant 2.0.
CMac... not so much.

I'm not saying he is as good, the question was when the last time we got a player like that.

I'm not saying he is as good, the question was when the last time we got a player like that.

Not as good = *not* a player like that.

Jayson Tatum is a pro. His game is smooth and will translate easily to the next level. Lydon and many of the early departures of recent years are not and weren't NBA caliber players.
Sorry, but if you go in the first round of the NBA draft (as all of our recent early departures have, save for Jerami Grant) there are knowledgeable basketball people who believe you are an NBA caliber player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom