How to Handle an Early Departure | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How to Handle an Early Departure

"He's ready to play at the next level," said Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim. "Carmelo is ready, everybody knows that. I never for one moment tried to talk him out of it. In my mind, this is the right decision. We will miss Carmelo's leadership more than anything else."

I legit thought this was a thread on how we as a message board deals with early departures...

Because we do it wrong.
Early departures. Not to be confused with premature anything.

Just have a few drinks and wrap it up.

He's not ready. Listening to the wrong people. Not a lottery pick. Let me see - is there anything else I can say to drive his earning ability down?

Guess the NBA doesn't employ professionals to decide who to draft and where, and instead listens only to what college coaches say.
Who knew?

JB has worked closely with NBA players while coaching Team USA over the years. I trust his evaluation of a player's skill set a lot more than an assistant professor who sits behind a desk in Hawaii all day (Chad Ford).

"I absolutely loved coaching Jayson Tatum. His skill set and work ethic will make him a star in the NBA."

Wish our coach was more like that.

You cannot compare Tatum to our early entries post Flynn. Tatum is in Melo-world.

Sorry, but if you go in the first round of the NBA draft (as all of our recent early departures have, save for Jerami Grant) there are knowledgeable basketball people who believe you are an NBA caliber player.

And how many NBA caliber players have flamed out before their rookie contract was up because they were drafted on potential? NBA caliber means you can stick.

If he doesn't think they should go, is he suppose to lie to them? Not everyone is ready to play in the Nba, despite what some on here believe. No one is putting a kid down, its not a knock telling someone they need another year of college.

He's not supposed to lie to them, but it doesn't mean he has to provide the same evaluation to the media that he does privately to the player. The principle; if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all (at least publicly) might really apply here.

No one's doing that.

The post was I-wish-our-coach-spoke-about-early-entries-like-K-speaks-about-Tatum.

We're not losing that type of talent and haven't in ages.

He's not supposed to lie to them, but it doesn't mean he has to provide the same evaluation to the media that he does privately to the player. The principle; if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all (at least publicly) might really apply here.
Why do some people struggle with understanding this?

The post was I-wish-our-coach-spoke-about-early-entries-like-K-speaks-about-Tatum.

It has ZERO bearing on how you interact with the media. If he's not Carmelo, then fine. But don't go to the media like he did with Ennis, or with Cmac. It hurts the kid and it hurts you prospects with luring elite talent.

It has ZERO bearing on how you interact with the media. If he's not Carmelo, then fine. But don't go to the media like he did with Ennis, or with Cmac. It hurts the kid and it hurts you prospects with luring elite talent.

I just don't by it. He was all over CMAC for not finishing. Probably the first guy who was honest with him in his career. The NBA are big boys, they can make their own judgements on a player.

Flip side of the record is why say things that aren't true. He was relatively nice about Malachi.

And how many NBA caliber players have flamed out before their rookie contract was up because they were drafted on potential? NBA caliber means you can stick.
If you don't think someone who is drafted by the NBA or is actually playing in the NBA isn't an "NBA caliber" player, I don't know what to tell you. Your definition seems to require someone to be a star or a starter and have a lengthy career in the league. There haven't been more than a few thousand people fit that description in the history of the NBA.

I just don't by it. He was all over CMAC for not finishing. Probably the first guy who was honest with him in his career. The NBA are big boys, they can make their own judgements on a player.

Flip side of the record is why say things that aren't true. He was relatively nice about Malachi.

JB doesn't need to be "honest with him" in the media, If the NBA can make their own judgements, they don't need JB to tell them publicly that they're not ready, and all he really has to say publicly is "I wish them luck." Of course PR 101 is not Boeheims strong suit.

JB doesn't need to be "honest with him" in the media, If the NBA can make their own judgements, they don't need JB to tell them publicly that they're not ready, and all he really has to say publicly is "I wish them luck." Of course PR 101 is not Boeheims strong suit.

Cal, K, Roy, Ricky have been harsh on their kids in the media. Is it just one particular subject manner - the NBA and being a PR stooge - where the coach is supposed to pump the breaks?

Cal, K, Roy, Ricky have been harsh on their kids in the media. Is it just one particular subject manner - the NBA and being a PR stooge - where the coach is supposed to pump the breaks?
Were they harsh by specific player or harsh to the team overall?

No, the post was not specific to Tatum. It was about how Boeheim generally speaking never encourages players to leave early for the draft. And worse than that, how he almost always tells the media how he doesn't think the player is ready. That may often be the case, but you say that to the player and his family, not the newspapers and ESPN. That makes you look like a jerk who is trying to prevent a kid from fulfilling his dream. It comes off as selfish.

If he were more balanced, then maybe talking to the media would be OK, but he's not, for the most part. He did say about Tyus Battle that he's going to be a pro for a long time at the beginning of this year, so that's good. But Battle is planning to be here for 2 years, so it doesn't ruffle Boeheim's plans.

I can't be the only one who read this thread title and thought it was an ode to Chip's bedroom prowess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom