How to (start) to improve attendance | Syracusefan.com

How to (start) to improve attendance

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Now that it appears there's a good chance that the program is trending upward again along with all the discussion on attendance it got the wheels spinning in the cranium. Apologies as the following will be long as I think out loud here.

The keys to success with this issue whether it be the Syracuse football program, the Chiefs or any team is getting fans to identify with the team as theirs. For so long this wasn't happening on the hill. Whether it was the rude ushers or ticket office people we all encountered or the previous admins ("Get a life" and "not in the business of firing coaches" - fully acknowledging there was some unfair hyperbole with this), or the interactions some had with parts of the athletic dept. (me trying and failing to get the '59 National Championship ED and team signed ball donated up there), Nike being wrtitten on the ED statue, etc., the end result is a lack of connection with the program.

Combine the now decades long poor performance, add on all the other gripes legit or not (Dome location, style of play, etc.), all together is it any really wonder that there's attendance issues? Of course not. The question of course what can be done now to start to reverse the trend. Here's what can be done, at least a start.

Now the good thing is it's already started. Or at least I think it has. The attitudes and treatment received by the ticket office and general demeanor off all the ushers I've run across the last several years is light years better than it was years ago. The experience of this years fanfest was fantastic and so much better then in years past. Someone up there must have instituted some basic training on simple customer relations. So this is great for those of us already invested in the program.

Now they need to take it to the next level and reach out to the disaffected if you will. If you can get people to feel connected to the program as "their team" once again it will be easy to get people beyond their perceived greivances and logistical concerns (again Dome location, tix prices, concessions, and even team performances to a degree if people feel invested in the program). Simple basic customer service taking it to the next level which as noted some of which has already started.

In my line of work it affords the opportunity to really have a good feel on the pulse on the community through the exposure to a lot of people in it. And for right or for wrong people hold on to grudges and perceived slights. Now I have no idea if this is better or worse than elsewhere in the country but there's two things I continue to hear about in this town that bothers people (still!) and is often mentioned in sports discussions. Which I can only assume continues to effect attendance. Add to this reading some of the comments in Axes article and it still apparently resonates today which to deny continues to be self defeating.

One is people are still upset about the baseball stadium being where it is and not being downtown the result it contributes to why they don't go. Now I know for me I've always said it made sense to put it downtown as it would attract the marginal baseball fans like me who'd end up going to more games simply for something more to do after a night out in the city. Made sense then, still makes sense today as a lost opportunity and is at least a part of the reason why they continue to have such attendance issues up there.

The other thing I continue to hear is how disconnected people feel from the university the genesis of it being the comments from SU referenced earlier that I also read in Axes article (again fans need to "get a life", etc.).

We need to forget for a second whether this should be an issue all these years later or if it's for right or for wrong. Need to forget if its legit or not. And rather simply acknowledge the end result of all this is a huge disconnect many of the locals feel. It's what they feel. This is simple reality whether one wants to acknowledge it or not as evidenced by the continued attendance concerns (it's not JUST poor performance, jobs leaving, greying of past fans, etc.).

Now let me preface the next comments by saying the Chiefs new guy HAS improved substantially the game day experience at a Chiefs game by light years, has brought energy and enthusiasm and is doing many good things long needed. But they continue to have abysmal attendance up there. Why? Mostly because of the disconnect/lack of connection and identification so many feel to that team, in part because of the location fiasco. They continue to fail in the big picture as noted by very weak attendance.

Like SU what is needed is an out of the box thinking by someone willing to put their neck out on the line and do something not easy and different. That is admit past errors, address concerns, perceived grievances (again for right or for wrong, legitimate reality based or not), and make public statements to help themselves get their programs better connected to the community they want to attend their games. In effect, to quote Jerry Maguire, help me to help you!

It's simple really. You want to be a success? Do the things most people don't want to do, yes work hard but work freaking smart too. Address the obvious. The obvious being so few people feel connected to your programs! The result being they don't want to go to your games.

In the case of the Chiefs I had the opportunity to talk to the Chiefs head guy recently and tried to bring up the issue that I have no question would help him to help himself. Address the old issue in some way shape or form about the stadium location that for right or for wrong continues to rankel so many, and make a statement to the effect, "I know a lot of folks in our town were understandably upset that the stadium location wasn't built downtown, I get it and can see that point completely, but it is what it is now and we need your help, we ask that you look past that now and get on board with us, join us, make us YOUR team, in your community in a partnership as we go to the future" or words to that effect.

Get that message out and watch the connections start to happen and improve where many would try and start to do just that. I wish I can say I was able to get that message through but I couldn't. Before even hearing me out he cut me off with the rah rah approach that "hey we're forward thinkers here, we don't plan on nor do we feel the need to go backward, we only go forward here". As I sat there looking at him I recalled the line I heard from coach Mac once when I was on my recruiting trip up to the hill where he said, "God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason".

The guy wouldn't even listen let alone comprehend that to move forward successfully sometimes you gotta look backwards, learn and then move forward. I felt sad as I left the stadium that night with TexanMark knowing they'll be continued failures up there with whatever the anemic attendance numbers continue to be as I noted on a gorgeous sat. night, on Fireworks night, with a team that won 11 games straight, there was only maybe a couple thousand people there.

Now as for SU I think in Coyle we're already hearing that he may very well indeed do what needs to be done to re-engage the community in tangible ways and I hope intangible ways as well. He seems like he has the personality and demeanor to really reach out to the community in ways not ever done here with not just platitudes but more appropriate words and perhaps actions. I like everything I hear and see from the new leadership up there so far and hope they too see the obvious. Forget whether right or wrong, legit or not they need to reconnect with their community. Or their sports minded customers.

Say they understand there's been past mistakes in public pronouncements and reactions to fans concerns re "Get a life", etc., perhaps past treatment of fans and maybe even say we're sorry (OMG aghast!) as they proclaim how badly they want not just people at the games but for them to feel that this is THEIR program, THEIR team. We are one, etc. said in whatever we are the world, perhaps hokey way they choose to do it. Don't care if it's hokey, don't care what the naysayers and cynics will say, just say it.

Think outside the box, put themselves out there, listen with both ears, show humility, show concern, show excitement, energy and enthusiam for what we together as one, fans, players, coaches and administrators alike working together can achieve. Say we want you, we value you and in time you will value us and lets all together take this thing to the next level. It can be done. Lets do it they can say.

This is how to start it. It's simple really.

Last edited:
Great post CR. I'll ask the most obvious question... Why do people feel a connection to the hoops program and not the football program?

Great post CR. I'll ask the most obvious question... Why do people feel a connection to the hoops program and not the football program?
if I base it on what I continue to hear, Buzz and Jake were referring to the football program. Because hoops have been so successful people somehow make a distinction and disconnect to be able to enjoy how success feels with basketball. Heck I love how it feels that at least hoops gives me the good feeling with regard to my teams.

Last edited:
I would appreciate a coed driving me to the game. However, short of that, they might consider having (paying) pairs of guy / gal student ushers who are the enthusiastic sort instead of the 60 year old dudes who have been doing it for 20 years. It's a small thing.

I think there's a lot of validity to what you suggest.

But I think that the far biggest contingent that needs to be reached are the fair weather fans. Let's set aside the die hards who love the team, post here, etc. who will watch through thick and thin. Those are the ones who will go to games and support the team no matter how badly they play... and I'm not too far off when I suggest that even many of them have had their patience tested when it comes to the decade plus of futility we've experienced.

But in general, that crew is in the bag. The fair weather fans are the contingent that needs to be mobilized, and I'll include the student body in that group, as well. I think the only way to get that segment engaged again is to win consistently, and to offer an exciting product. As exciting as the Pinstripe Bowl was in 2010, given our personnel limitations we were forced to white knuckle games. Hey, wins are wins, but few people appreciate three runs and a cloud of dust [which is what we had to do to shorten games and put ourselves in the best position to win]. 2012 was fun for the first time in many years, but even then we started out with a couple of losses to the season that induced the fair weather fans to look away. Things might have been different had we won that NW game, but ultimately it was a missed opportunity.

I thought we rebounded well after a lousy start to 2013, after Shafer took over. And after the rough start, we changed QBs and competed quite well in all of the 50/50 games on the schedule that season, ultimately qualifying for an appearance in the Texas Bowl. But again, the offense was painful, and the fair weather contingent was disgruntled.

But they were curious enough to return last year, hoping that we'd be able to build upon that bowl appearance. Instead, they watched in disgust as we nearly lost to a D1AA team, with our QB getting himself tossed in the first half. Then the injury bug took root, and the results got even uglier. The net result of which was we lost what little goodwill we gained the Texas Bowl year.

Fast forward to this season. Tons of question marks, but not much evidence of "upside." Sure, the die hards expected better performance and were keeping their fingers crossed about bowl eligibility--but let's be honest, even many of us were unconvinced. We had no idea how Hunt would REALLY perform, whether Lester's offense would drag us out of the stone ages, or how we'd hold up against a tough second half of the schedule.

The media was similarly skeptical; as I recall, all of the PS prognosticators predicted that we'd go 4-8 or 5-7, with a few 3-9s sprinkled in for good measure. If you don't follow the team, if you don't follow recruiting, etc. and were just reading those predictions to gauge how the season might [emphasis on "might"] unfold as you decided whether to attend any games, why would you feel any optimism given the pervasive pessimism?

But I think that the tide has turned. Eric Dungey is exciting. And beyond that, you get the impression that he's only scratching the surface. There's no telling HOW good the kid will be, later this year and beyond. I think having him under center will galvanize the fair weather contingent to a degree, because of the curiosity factor. And if we continue to win, and further position ourselves for bowl eligibility this year, I think we'll get closer to where SU football games again become must-see events.

ESPECIALLY beginning next year, when an experienced Dungey returns, along with 7-8 starters on both sides of the ball in 2016. If we can somehow get to a bowl, just imagine the momentum that the program would have heading into the offseason. And on the recruiting trail, what they coaching staff would have to "sell" to prospective recruits, with an exciting, young QB at the helm for the next three years.

In summary, I think that Dungey has provided the program with a much needed shot in the arm of enthusiasm. Its early--granted--but the excitement factor is back. But that needs to be supplemented with wins. Get back to a bowl, with the team positioned for an 8 win type of season next year, and the fair weather fans will put down the rakes and crack open their wallets to attend games.

The future looks bright, but the vast majority of Syracusans will only support a winner, and even then only if the play is exciting. My opinion only, but I think Dungey is the guy we've been lacking since McNabb to pack 'em in.

The obvious answer is because the hoops program consistently wins, and generally has exciting play [yes, yes--the last two years have been hampered by anemic offense]. But when you recruit highly rated players and play an exciting brand of ball, the fans will flock to the games.

RF2044 said:
The obvious answer is because the hoops program consistently wins, and generally has exciting play [yes, yes--the last two years have been hampered by anemic offense]. But when you recruit highly rated players and play an exciting brand of ball, the fans will flock to the games.
bingo.

I think there's a lot of validity to what you suggest.

But I think that the far biggest contingent that needs to be reached are the fair weather fans. Let's set aside the die hards who love the team, post here, etc. who will watch through thick and thin. Those are the ones who will go to games and support the team no matter how badly they play... and I'm not too far off when I suggest that even many of them have had their patience tested when it comes to the decade plus of futility we've experienced.

But in general, that crew is in the bag. The fair weather fans are the contingent that needs to be mobilized, and I'll include the student body in that group, as well. I think the only way to get that segment engaged again is to win consistently, and to offer an exciting product. As exciting as the Pinstripe Bowl was in 2010, given our personnel limitations we were forced to white knuckle games. Hey, wins are wins, but few people appreciate three runs and a cloud of dust [which is what we had to do to shorten games and put ourselves in the best position to win]. 2012 was fun for the first time in many years, but even then we started out with a couple of losses to the season that induced the fair weather fans to look away. Things might have been different had we won that NW game, but ultimately it was a missed opportunity.

I thought we rebounded well after a lousy start to 2013, after Shafer took over. And after the rough start, we changed QBs and competed quite well in all of the 50/50 games on the schedule that season, ultimately qualifying for an appearance in the Texas Bowl. But again, the offense was painful, and the fair weather contingent was disgruntled.

But they were curious enough to return last year, hoping that we'd be able to build upon that bowl appearance. Instead, they watched in disgust as we nearly lost to a D1AA team, with our QB getting himself tossed in the first half. Then the injury bug took root, and the results got even uglier. The net result of which was we lost what little goodwill we gained the Texas Bowl year.

Fast forward to this season. Tons of question marks, but not much evidence of "upside." Sure, the die hards expected better performance and were keeping their fingers crossed about bowl eligibility--but let's be honest, even many of us were unconvinced. We had no idea how Hunt would REALLY perform, whether Lester's offense would drag us out of the stone ages, or how we'd hold up against a tough second half of the schedule.

The media was similarly skeptical; as I recall, all of the PS prognosticators predicted that we'd go 4-8 or 5-7, with a few 3-9s sprinkled in for good measure. If you don't follow the team, if you don't follow recruiting, etc. and were just reading those predictions to gauge how the season might [emphasis on "might"] unfold as you decided whether to attend any games, why would you feel any optimism given the pervasive pessimism?

But I think that the tide has turned. Eric Dungey is exciting. And beyond that, you get the impression that he's only scratching the surface. There's no telling HOW good the kid will be, later this year and beyond. I think having him under center will galvanize the fair weather contingent to a degree, because of the curiosity factor. And if we continue to win, and further position ourselves for bowl eligibility this year, I think we'll get closer to where SU football games again become must-see events.

ESPECIALLY beginning next year, when an experienced Dungey returns, along with 7-8 starters on both sides of the ball in 2016. If we can somehow get to a bowl, just imagine the momentum that the program would have heading into the offseason. And on the recruiting trail, what they coaching staff would have to "sell" to prospective recruits, with an exciting, young QB at the helm for the next three years.

In summary, I think that Dungey has provided the program with a much needed shot in the arm of enthusiasm. Its early--granted--but the excitement factor is back. But that needs to be supplemented with wins. Get back to a bowl, with the team positioned for an 8 win type of season next year, and the fair weather fans will put down the rakes and crack open their wallets to attend games.

The future looks bright, but the vast majority of Syracusans will only support a winner, and even then only if the play is exciting. My opinion only, but I think Dungey is the guy we've been lacking since McNabb to pack 'em in.
all in with you on Dungy, especially after watching that film of him I posted and of course watching the second half where they let him do his thing.

No question we all know winning jacks things up. It won't cure all ails as some suggest as without some changes they still won't show for lesser games. No what that war and peace like post above suggests is theres enough fair weathers out there who could be converted to more of die hards so as to avoid the embarassment of the numbers we saw for Wake. Which would achieve the invesment into the program that SWC posted about, which would help with recruiting, etc.

Here's a fun fact...

SU hoops has been ranked in the top 25 at some point during the regular season for 42 of the last 43 years.

SU football has not been ranked at all in 14 years, and has been ranked at some point during the regular season 30 times in poll history, going back to the 1930s.

bingo.
Their are also "brand name players" with hoops that alone are attracting fans to come and see. The player star system to an extent gets fans excited about players too. Moved up a notch in 2003 with a certain 5 star forward from MD.

Sadly, the football program hasn't had a marquee player that attracts fans since...the 90's? It's pretty sad when the top selling Syracuse jersey is for a player(s) that played 40 years ago.

Also worth noting that football should have an advantage in using marquee players to attract fans as they are there for 3+ years instead of one and done.

Unfortunately, if a certain 4 star RB from NC had ended up coming here, the hype he brings alone would've put fans in the seats IMO. Its not fair, but it's the reality of recruiting that we live in.

Last edited:
all in with you on Dungy, especially after watching that film of him I posted and of course watching the second half where they let him do his thing.

No question we all know winning jacks things up. It won't cure all ails as some suggest as without some changes they still won't show for lesser games. No what that war and peace like post above suggests is theres enough fair weathers out there who could be converted to more of die hards so as to avoid the embarassment of the numbers we saw for Wake. Which would achieve the invesment into the program that SWC posted about, which would help with recruiting, etc.

Agreed. That's why having a competent AD is so important. I'm confident that Coyle will clean up a lot of the disorganization / largess / general ineptitude of the previous regime, to say nothing of overseeing improved results on the gridiron.

Last edited:
Watching the Royals and Chiefs in KC I will put this forward, the Chiefs have always been somewhat competitive since I moved here in 02, while the Royals have not been.

The Royals attendance has spiked in the last year as they have become relevant again.

The Chiefs are like our hoops program and if the football program can become relevant again the fans will follow, just like the Royals.

If our football team can get competitive, our blue collar fans can make their entertainment dollar go further than purchasing hoops tickets. Absolutely no knock on these folks as they are a part of the 30k+ crowds for hoops and purchase the early season tickets from others.
Just pointing out that if they have a competitive team to pull for their entertainment dollars and interest will be funneled into our very affordable football games.

Is Mikhail Moranovich walking through that door to provide pics?
1__1286970360_2909.jpg

How has everyone experienced cell / data service during the games this year. Hate to say that making sure we have top of the line WiFi, or cell/Data reception is a priority, but maybe that's an avenue that could be explored?

Gomeck said:
How has everyone experienced cell / data service during the games this year. Hate to say that making sure we have top of the line WiFi, or cell/Data reception is a priority, but maybe that's an avenue that could be explored?

It's gotten better but that could be a function of the crowd size.

Yea, I was up there for Rhode Island, I enjoy checking Twitter after the big plays, or posting pics from the game to instagram etc.. The data connection was better then I've been used to, but it could be a crowd size thing. I'm a bit hooked on social media (graduated in '03) but it provides (due to our fine colleagues on Twitter and this board which I pull up during the games) way better commentary then the announcers in the dome... Maybe have built in radio feeds via Wifi to listen to, or have an app to leave comments that only the folks in the building can see?

Hoops games are also half as long, a football game takes as long as 18 holes of golf now.
18 holes of golf should take as long as a basketball game. if the purpose of golf was to get 18 bogeys as fast as possible, I'd be tiger woods back when tiger woods was tiger woods

Reg, this is a great post.

But here's something I find alarming- the inability of people in Syracuse to let things go. They built the ballpark on the Northside 20 years ago instead of downtown, and you still won't go? A crotchety AD 10 years removed said something you don't like, and you're still against Cuse football because of it?

Or worse, there's a few things to be excited about with the football team this year, but they're still "lousy" so you won't go?

I understand there's a ton of anger over industries leaving, over poor leadership, over poverty and winter and losing records. I think Cuse football is very much the victim of the CNY mentality that something else bad is going to happen.

Consistently winning will get us to 45K+. Play with the other 5K any way you want.

Has SU Athletics ever tried to market season tickets to alums (as opposed to hoping alums who stay within a reasonable distance of campus decide on their own to pursue same?) I ask this because I have never to my knowledge received anything from the university asking me to consider purchasing season tickets or a ticket package for football or basketball. This despite the fact that I was a season ticket buyer for several years when I lived in Syracuse and I have been a regular (small) contributor to SU's annual fund and several capital/special project campaigns over the past 15 years.

Now, perhaps they think I live too far away. Or maybe they think I wouldn't buy season tickets because I didn't attend any games in the 90s and early 2000s when my job and parenthood interefered with fandom. In either case they would be wrong. I've indicated elsewhere that with retirement and the end of tuition payments in March I'll be buying season tickets again. I'll have to take the initiative myself, however. From what I have experienced SU had made no effort to encourage me to do so since I left the Maxwell School in '77.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom