How will Pitt attack the zone? | Syracusefan.com

How will Pitt attack the zone?

2-3zone

2nd String
I think they will put Patterson at the high post with his ability to be a triple threat (Shoot it, drive it, pass it) and they will put Zanna on the baseline

Pitt is by far the best passing team I've watched all year and that will put a lot of stress on the zone

I think they will put Patterson at the high post with his ability to be a triple threat (Shoot it, drive it, pass it) and they will put Zanna on the baseline

Pitt is by far the best passing team I've watched all year and that will put a lot of stress on the zone

They are the masters of putting someone at the middle of the zone (Zanna) and then dumping down low to guys cutting on the baseline.

They will liberally use moving screens out top as much as possible to try to penetrate to the FT line draw the D and then pass to the baseline cutter. This is what they have done for years as well as using a playmaker at the FT line and crashing the glass hard.

I heard that Dixon has a new strategy were Zana will just run down the lane like a fullback and Robinson will dribble in behind him.

They are the masters of putting someone at the middle of the zone (Zanna) and then dumping down low to guys cutting on the baseline.

They do always seem to have that guy who thrives there. I don't think Zana can do it so it would have to be Patterson as I think Wright and Robinson are on the small side to consistently make passes from there.

I agree, combination of moving screens, hip checks, eye gouges, and a healthy dose of more fouls being called on Syracuse.

They are not a great three point shooting team so I envision JB having the zone packed in a bit to start the game and see where it goes from there. Although Patterson is a terrific playmaker, I don't see him being at the top of the key consistently as he is not big enough when confronted by Keita or Christmas. If our center doesn't get on him fast then he definitely has the talent to score jumpers from there.

I sure hope Coleman can go as I see this game being a possible "foul fest". We will need all the bigs to play, including Roberson.

I am guessing Dixon will flash Mike Young and Jamel Artis to the top of the key and allow them to shoot or pass. Both are capable of hitting jumpers and both are pretty good passers. I think Artis would be a better option in that spot as he is a better passer than Young. I doubt Dixon would take the best 3 point shooter on the team and stick him in the lane the entire game. I am sure he will also try and pick the zone to allow Patterson to get into creases and create from there.

This is going to be a game where Durand Johnson is missed dearly. He is a guy who had the ability to stretch out that zone and also add some length to the court for Pitt. I have a feeling Pitt is not going to be able to finish in the lane against Syracuse. You all have some serious length and athleticism to challenge and block shots.

let's not forget that he will also have a non-3pt shooter hang out at the wing, a little beyond NBA 3pt range, and hit no less than 3 What 3-pointers. No play or anything, he'll just stand there and he won't miss. Who is doing the shooting is irrelevant.

This is exactly what they will try to do. We need to take away the entry pass, and CJ and Jerami have to be aware of the cutters and take away the passing lanes. I also agree that JB starts with the zone packed in. We need to limit their points in the paint and let them try and beat us with jump shots.

One thing people are overlooking is how THEY will defend US on the interior.

Pitt's interior defense is not great this year. Take away Zanna and we have mismatches all over the board. People always comment and try to break down how will teams attack our zone and noone ever talks about how we have a decisive advantage on the offensive end over their interior players.

I look for CJ and Jerami to have good games and if we can rebound like we did against Carolina we will be very tough to beat come Saturday.

One thing people are overlooking is how THEY will defend US on the interior.

People always comment and try to break down how will teams attack our zone and noone ever talks about how we have a decisive advantage on the offensive end over their interior players.

I look for CJ and Jerami to have good games and if we can rebound like we did against Carolina we will be very tough to beat come Saturday.

Great point. And, for the most part, we'll have these mismatches all season long. I don't see many teams at all that can match up with us inside...We will score our points...

Great point. And, for the most part, we'll have these mismatches all season long. I don't see many teams at all that can match up with us inside...We will score our points...

I remember a quote that Troy Weaver made prior to the Texas game in 2003.

If anyone remembers the talk all week leading up to that game was how will Texas do against the Syracuse zone? Man they broke it down 6 ways to Sunday and it was THE focus of every reporter that week. Troy Weaver came out and said that what they should be talking about is how will Texas stop Syracuse. That was one thing that was never talked about. True to form we laid 95 points on them and eventually won the title 2 nights later.

This game kind of reminds me of that in the sense that people keep talking about how Pitt will carve up our zone and we need to do this and that, etc. I want to see how they will stop us. This is not your normal Pitt bruiser very physical defensive team. Yes talented but not like Pitt teams in the past. Especially at the guard position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom