How will the Cuse do in 2013? | Syracusefan.com

How will the Cuse do in 2013?

orangeintheacc

Walk On
I 'm not a fan of this time of year...there is very little football news and the SU BBall team lately is shooting like they are blindfolded. With spring ball right around the corner what are the thoughts on the SU football teams chances this fall in the ACC? New coach, new QB, new receivers, new guard and tackle, etc., etc.

I've checked the Penn State boards lately and they think we are basically garbage, no better than the third worst team on their schedule behind Perennial BIG 10 bottom feeders Indiana, Purdue & Minnesota and even worse than Kent State. I see things a bit differently, i see PSU as a toss up where with both teams having rookie QB's we come out on top in a tough game. Last year in the opener we dominated NW except for two punt returns and a fumble returned for a touchdown...this year we get it done. Wagner and Tulane at home, both wins. Tough stretch in the middle of the season with Clemson, NC State and GT - the last two on the road. I see us winning one out of three there. Wake Forest, Maryland and Florida State we win two out of three there. Pitt and BC - we finish strong and take them out for a record of 9 and 3. Of course, we could lose a few close ones and be 6 and 6 too.

Think about it, is there any team on our schedule that we would be more than an 8 or 9 point underdog? I've got to believe the only games that would be that high are Clemson and Florida State. The other games are toss ups or we are favored. Any other thoughts?

Depends on what kind of play we get from QB. That's easily the biggest question mark and none of us really know how that will play out. It's tough to even speculate on the season as a result...

Depends on the offensive line play. Ryan Nassib started to look like a NFL player after the line was solidified. Whoever plays QB will have their success determined in large part by the guys in front of them.

The first two games will tell a lot. We can easily be 2-0, and we can easily be 0-2.

2 probable wins, 2 probable loses. The rest of the games will depend on QB/OL play. The defense will be much improved and we will have good skill position guys.

Way too early I say 7-5 again.

Back to back bowl games would be great. Haven't done that in 15 yrs

8-4 or 7-5. I think we will have an easier shot at beating Penn St, then Northwestern, who should be picked to finish at top of the B10 this season. That will definitely be a tough one, even though we did dominate them in every aspect except special teams in 2012. I would be thrilled with a split there. The first 2 games should tell a lot on how our season will go. Personally I feel we will be very good this year. I feel i am in the minority at feeling our O-line will again be a strength, if Hickey/Knapp can stay healthy. Obviously the biggest question is qb, but every team has to break in a new starter eventually, and sometimes when kids get a chance they shine. Our defense should without question be a strength. Our D-line should be able to dominate, and if you want any group to be a strength it would be D-Line. Either way I am really excited, and even more excited for the future.

In the skill positions I think overall were more talented and have more depth than in years past... Granted a couple guys are unproven but if they play to their projected level well have a nice O. But once again QB play determines everything looking forward to the spring game a lot this year

I think that we will beat Penn State in a very close game. My sense is that we are going to wear them down and pound the ball. NW is a toss up but i actually see us beating them as well so in my book we start 4-0. Clemson will be a hard fought game but i believe we end up losing after a really tough battle. NC state is a win as well as GT WF and Maryland. We end the season 1-2 with loses to Fstate and Pitt but end up crushing BC to finish the year 9-3 .

I think that we will beat Penn State in a very close game. My sense is that we are going to wear them down and pound the ball. NW is a toss up but i actually see us beating them as well so in my book we start 4-0. Clemson will be a hard fought game but i believe we end up losing after a really tough battle. NC state is a win as well as GT WF and Maryland. We end the season 1-2 with loses to Fstate and Pitt but end up crushing BC to finish the year 9-3 .
you think we will beat PSU/NW but lose at home to Pitt?

I need to see the spring game before I can predict. That being said, we will probably win/lose a game we shouldn't have. The shadow of GRob is fading but Shafer is still on his journey to Mordor to deposit the ring. (Sorry just watched 'The Fellowship...' again today ;)

you think we will beat PSU/NW but lose at home to Pitt?
Yes we struggle with Pitt and i believe they will need our game to get to a bowl.

I 'm not a fan of this time of year...there is very little football news and the SU BBall team lately is shooting like they are blindfolded. With spring ball right around the corner what are the thoughts on the SU football teams chances this fall in the ACC? New coach, new QB, new receivers, new guard and tackle, etc., etc.

I've checked the Penn State boards lately and they think we are basically garbage, no better than the third worst team on their schedule behind Perennial BIG 10 bottom feeders Indiana, Purdue & Minnesota and even worse than Kent State. I see things a bit differently, i see PSU as a toss up where with both teams having rookie QB's we come out on top in a tough game. Last year in the opener we dominated NW except for two punt returns and a fumble returned for a touchdown...this year we get it done. Wagner and Tulane at home, both wins. Tough stretch in the middle of the season with Clemson, NC State and GT - the last two on the road. I see us winning one out of three there. Wake Forest, Maryland and Florida State we win two out of three there. Pitt and BC - we finish strong and take them out for a record of 9 and 3. Of course, we could lose a few close ones and be 6 and 6 too.

Think about it, is there any team on our schedule that we would be more than an 8 or 9 point underdog? I've got to believe the only games that would be that high are Clemson and Florida State. The other games are toss ups or we are favored. Any other thoughts?

We can easily be 2-0, and we can easily be 0-2.

Think it's more like we can easily be 0-2, and would be an incredibly huge start by HCSS if we started off 2-0.

I just want to play well enough to get a 13th game.

But if pressed, I think we win at least 8 games this year.

Think it's more like we can easily be 0-2, and would be an incredibly huge start by HCSS if we started off 2-0.
Yeah, I'm probably basing that too much after last year, when we've lost numerous key players.

Depends on what kind of play we get from QB. That's easily the biggest question mark and none of us really know how that will play out. It's tough to even speculate on the season as a result...

I agree with this to a large degree. QB and LT are huge holes to fill given how last year's team performed.

WR is another major concern, although I'm a bit less concerned about how that will play out [assuming Funderburk is a difference maker], given that we have some talent there with West / Kobena, who have both played.

But at the end of the day, how our season goes is going to be largely determined by how well we fill the void at QB and LT.

And of course, that assumes that the new staff can coach--not saying that can't, just that right now--today--that is a question mark.

I like HCSS and think that he keeps the same basic offense Syracuse finished with. I think we defensively pound teams and this is what keeps it close for us. (I also think that the team we play on one week will be very sore the next week and suffer an inordinate amount of losses as they recuperate) As this is too early to know anything with any certainty, I am declaring 7-5 and a bowl victory. Unless things change...

8-4 or 7-5. I think we will have an easier shot at beating Penn St, then Northwestern, who should be picked to finish at top of the B10 this season. That will definitely be a tough one, even though we did dominate them in every aspect except special teams in 2012. I would be thrilled with a split there. The first 2 games should tell a lot on how our season will go. Personally I feel we will be very good this year. I feel i am in the minority at feeling our O-line will again be a strength, if Hickey/Knapp can stay healthy. Obviously the biggest question is qb, but every team has to break in a new starter eventually, and sometimes when kids get a chance they shine. Our defense should without question be a strength. Our D-line should be able to dominate, and if you want any group to be a strength it would be D-Line. Either way I am really excited, and even more excited for the future.

I agree with your post, especially about the oline. It will be very good in time, however, I don't think that whoever takes over for Chibane and Pugh will be (or should they be expected to be) at the same level those two were at the end of last season. We need to remember that Pugh and Chibane had 4 years to get to that level. I do think the first two games will be close games that could go either way, but I still like our chances in both. Those are two tough teams and venues for our inexperienced guys to start out with. I would feel a lot better if we opened with Wagner and Tulane and then played PSU and NW, but that is wishful thinking.

Go back to the Penn State boards and tell them that the Syracuse boards think they are garbage... stat game for Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom