Howard’s Mom | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Howard’s Mom

Mommas are protective of their children...I get it. She has seen her son go through a lot and she knows how badly he wants to play. Her heart hurts. Having said that she has to refrain from social media outbursts like this one as it serves no good for anyone. I love Howard. The experiences he has has at SU will benefit him for the rest of his life.

Mom might see her son as the gravy train and he’s not getting to the pros if he’s on the bench. Can’t just be happy he’s on the roster at Syracuse U for free getting to be at Chapel Hill, Cameron etc. I mean if the kid is doing the complaining then he should transfer down. If it’s the parent they should just be happy. what a gift.

I know a lax player who would give anything to just be on a D1 roster even if he never played a minute. That’s the kid/parent I’d want on my team.

Mom might see her son as the gravy train and he’s not getting to the pros if he’s on the bench. Can’t just be happy he’s on the roster at Syracuse U for free getting to be at Chapel Hill, Cameron etc. I mean if the kid is doing the complaining then he should transfer down. If it’s the parent they should just be happy. what a gift.

I know a lax player who would give anything to just be on a D1 roster even if he never played a minute. That’s the kid/parent I’d want on my team.

yup. Reality is most people just have no clue when it comes to sports. They truly don’t understand them.

perhaps both howard & his mum are realistic & understand that he is not going to see much court time in regular season games . . . but this game, against a bunch of buffalo area kids that he grew up playing against, was the one game he had circled & hoped to get a lot more run. disappointment is understandable

I didn’t start it to hammer his mom, just was pretty intrigued by her going off. Wasn’t judging her. Although I do think this stuff should stay behind closed doors

You must have missed it but this was discussed a lot last night in another thread which also included some tweets.

Washington was recruited to SU as insurance in case disaster struck (injury, late transfer etc.) None of that happened and therefore he is now the last guard on the bench and will remain there unless disaster strikes this year. I saw him play early in his high school career and he did not have the athletic ability to play at this level of basketball and nothing has changed. In fact, if he transferred home to Buffalo he would not start at either Buffalo or Canisius or even at Division 2 Daemen where both starting guards played well last night and were better players than him in high school. He has overcome a lot of adversity and wish him well but he is out of his league. Hope he finds some place where his skill set and family ego will allow him to play.

Is he getting a free education?

Have they honored his scholarship and stuck with him?

Have they helped provide medical care and coverage?

Then pipe down Mom

This. Was clear before the injury he wasn't a SU level player. And if he was it was gonna be a multi year project.

Transfer and save your eligibility if you want to play.

Goodine is wait and see. Carey hasn't showed a lot, to date. Girard looked pretty good with the ball yesterday.
While I believe in JB's judgment, I, for one, would like to see Howard get some real run. Your PG doesn't have to be your best player, just your smartest and least selfish.

As a parent, I also know (believe me, I know) that it's very frustrating watching your kid watch the game, especially if you feel that all he/she needs is a chance.
That said, going to Twitter is not a smart thing, IMO. If Howard is truly ready to lead a team, then he should have a talk with coach. The talk isn't "why am I not playing", but "what do I have to improve upon to be able to play".
I'm rooting for the kid. I like the guys who bring the intangibles to the game.

i like howard & have been rooting for him. but he was recruited in the sanction years and as a slow & steady point guard in the ennis mode, he fit what jb was doing at the time. but the guys he's recruited the last 2 classes are much better utilized in a faster paced offense.

howard has a redshirt year under his belt. he may be close to graduating after this year or fall semester 2020. if he sticks it out this year (and there's no reason to believe he won't) he can grad transfer with as much as 2 full years of eligibility remaining.

Last edited:

A roster full of kids who are happy not playing will lead to a lot of losses.

Yeah, let's project that onto mom. Nice.

I mean sure... but there was more to that post after the first sentence.
but that was a terrible opening sentence. you know what they say about 1st impressions. and the rest of the post didn't come close to redeeming it

but that was a terrible opening sentence. you know what they say about 1st impressions. and the rest of the post didn't come close to redeeming it
This is a fair take.

I identified with the last paragraph, having grown up a huge Syracuse lacrosse fan.

Goodine is wait and see. Carey hasn't showed a lot, to date. Girard looked pretty good with the ball yesterday.
While I believe in JB's judgment, I, for one, would like to see Howard get some real run. Your PG doesn't have to be your best player, just your smartest and least selfish.

As a parent, I also know (believe me, I know) that it's very frustrating watching your kid watch the game, especially if you feel that all he/she needs is a chance.
That said, going to Twitter is not a smart thing, IMO. If Howard is truly ready to lead a team, then he should have a talk with coach. The talk isn't "why am I not playing", but "what do I have to improve upon to be able to play".
I'm rooting for the kid. I like the guys who bring the intangibles to the game.

Thing is, her point seemed to be “my kid tries really hard and has overcome some major hardships”. Not “my kid is the best PG on the team.” Then she cherry picked a few things like “get an assist, come out - get a TO, stay in”.

If we’re doing that, has Howard ever gotten a bucket in his career?

this is high stakes and JB is trying to WIN.

Howard seems like the ultimate team guy. He’s always up cheering for the team from what I can recall. Not saying he doesn’t want to play, but I highly doubt these words are coming from him. I’m sure there will be a conversation between him and his mom. I have a hard time believing that he is pouting, does not seem to fit his work ethic and demeanor. I think this is nothing more than a disgruntled parent who feels that her child is entitled to something that he is not. Bad look for mom for sure.
well.. he did like those tweets she posted so there's that.. lol

well I mean you kind of have to stand behind your mom at this point - but she put him in that position

Eh. I don’t know about that. If it was me, I wouldn’t do anything publically, and I would have a talk with her privately about not putting me in a bad spot by putting that out there and asking her to delete it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom