Howard Washington | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

If he's 100% healthy, great.

But if he's not there, even if he's 90% or so when the season starts, I hope he takes a shirt. No need to rush him back to play 5 minutes a game, or waste a year. We know he'll be behind Frank and Carey at lead guard. His best option is to sit, rehab completely, add strength and work on his quickness and take the year of practice to become a better all-around player. He can definitely have a successful 3-year run for us, which is better than 5mpg and then 2 years.

Plus, his ability to graduate and move on after 4 years and play elsewhere for 1 if he doesn't have a major role has to be a consideration too.

I would think he definitely redshirts. The knee injury was by all accounts pretty bad. He likely wouldn't be ready for the start of the season anyway.

Redshirt sophomore in 2019-20. And plenty of minutes available.

Why the rush to decide on a redshirt. First, let's see if he his healthy enough to compete in camp. If so, let him compete and see where the chips fall.

Personally, I doubt he will be good enough to earn rotation minutes next season even if healthy, but there is no rush to pre-judge that one way or the other at this time.

HW is very excited about the talent this team will have next year and he wants to be a part of it. He’s not thinking about redshirting. His plan is to rehab from the surgery and be ready to go this fall and fight for a spot in the rotation.

He’s not the one who makes the decisions but that’s the mindset.

IMO he’s the only true point guard on the roster. Will that matter? Maybe not. Keep in mind, Washington is older than your typical frosh. He wants to play.

HW is very excited about the talent this team will have next year and he wants to be a part of it. He’s not thinking about redshirting. His plan is to rehab from the surgery and be ready to go this fall and fight for a spot in the rotation.

He’s not the one who makes the decisions but that’s the mindset.

IMO he’s the only true point guard on the roster. Will that matter? Maybe not. Keep in mind, Washington is older than your typical frosh. He wants to play.

Frank is going to play 35 minutes per game. That's not up for debate. That leaves roughly 45 minutes per game for the rest of the guards.

Between Carey, Hughes & Boeheim, they're going to suck up at LEAST 40 minutes between them at the other guard spot. And that's being VERY conservative.

I could see Hughes getting 25 minutes (20 at the 2 guard), Carey getting 20 minutes and Boeheim getting 5.

Don't see how Washington fits with this roster.

Scoop and Rautins redshirted for us and both of those moves turned out to be phenomenal.
Excellent point. I hope it's one that gets conveyed to Howard. Retention has not been our stong suit. I know it's tough to keep guys anywhere but we've had some head scratchers.

Frank is going to play 35 minutes per game. That's not up for debate. That leaves roughly 45 minutes per game for the rest of the guards.

Between Carey, Hughes & Boeheim, they're going to suck up at LEAST 40 minutes between them at the other guard spot. And that's being VERY conservative.

I could see Hughes getting 25 minutes (20 at the 2 guard), Carey getting 20 minutes and Boeheim getting 5.

Don't see how Washington fits with this roster.

I agree that Washington probably doesn't figure into the rotation next year [barring injury or the unforeseen].

Hopefully, having that kind of depth will enable Boeheim to play Howard for more like 30 minutes [a la Scoop, his senior year]. I'd envision both Hughes / Carey playing a bit more than 20 mpg.

I'm pretty sure JB will leave it up to HW. Which means that the decision will be what HW thinks is the best for him. So it'll be all good.
That's what he did with Sidibe. Despite Sidibe being hobbled, we probably lose the second Pitt game without him. Then we definitely don't make the tournament. Then no magical sweet 16 run. One of many little moments that define the season

To answer the question, hope he redshirts but thankfully lots of time to decide. Someone else could always get injured, and we could need him. A full year of practicing against the other guards will be great experience too

The trio of Howard, Carey and Hughes will split up the guard minutes. And it will be more even than not.
Agree those three will split the minutes, but it is not Jimmy's way to have them be even. Whichever two that emerge as Jimmy's favorites will average 30 to 35 minutes and the third will get the 15 or so minute balance. Now that is not to say that if the team plays well when the odd man out gets his minutes that there will not be games when the averages divert dramatically.

Agree those three will split the minutes, but it is not Jimmy's way to have them be even. Whichever two that emerge as Jimmy's favorites will average 30 to 35 minutes and the third will get the 15 or so minute balance. Now that is not to say that if the team plays well when the odd man out gets his minutes that there will not be games when the averages divert dramatically.
What were the minute breakdown for Triche, Scoop and Dion?

The trio of Howard, Carey and Hughes will split up the guard minutes. And it will be more even than not.

these are always an exercise in futility but, I think it'll be something like Frank 34, Carey 25, Hughes 25 with 4 mins. of Hughes time coming at sf. if Hughes gets no time at sf, then either he or Carey will get 21.

Where do you see him fitting in next season? Seems to be a lot of hype about Hughes, Carey and Boeheim taking the other guard minutes (I assume Battle will be gone). A friend sent me an article about five analysts projecting our starting lineup for next season. One of them actually mentioned that Washington might red shirt. After missing most of this past season with an injury do you think he would want to do that? Would he consider a transfer?

Just curious what you dudes think.

He won't be recovered from his ACL until about mid-season. I think he takes a medical redshirt next year.

If he sticks around, he could be a steady back-up PG on some successful teams his junior & senior year, but I don't see him as a starter.

He's a bit small (not sure he's a legit 6-0, let along the 6-3 that they list him at) and he's not explosive like a Jonny Flynn was on the dribble. He is steady with the ball and can hit an open jumper, though.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt he redshirts. He's going to be cleared to play late this summer. Kids, for the most part, just don't relish the idea of missing out/not playing. I'll grant you that Washington won't be 100% by Nov. 1, but that won't stop him to giving it a go.

From his "successful surgery" article ...

"It will be six to nine months before Washington can be expected to return to the basketball court, according to Pike."

Realistically, guys don't gain back their athleticism that quickly from an ACL tear. He got his in January, I believe. He might start working out in September, but I think it will be the end of the year before he is truly 100%.

There are different degrees. This is not the expectation here.

I thought I read that his ACL was severed, not just a partial tear. Is that incorrect?

I believe Syracuse should have plenty of guard depth without Howard Washington but redshirting would be brutal for him after missing so much of this past season. Let’s see how things pan out before assuming he’s redshirting.

If Buddy doesn’t redshirt, JB is going to have figure out the backcourt rotation. I wanted JB to play 4 this year before GT left. That didn’t work out. He didn’t even want to give HW time when he was the only backup.

Now that one of the candidates is Buddy BOEHEIM, everybody is giving him playing time. Interesting.

He won't be recovered from his ACL until about mid-season. I think he takes a medical redshirt next year.

If he sticks around, he could be a steady back-up PG on some successful teams his junior & senior year, but I don't see him as a starter.

He's a bit small (not sure he's a legit 6-0, let along the 6-3 that they list him at) and he's not explosive like a Jonny Flynn was on the dribble. He is steady with the ball and can hit an open jumper, though.

There are different degrees. This is not the expectation here.

Nine months is a fairly well established minimum to return to sports, which would put him back in mid to late November at best. Younger athletes have a higher propensity for reinjury, so I would hope HW takes his time rehabbing and getting it right.

Hope this isn’t a hot take because franks utilization strategy next year is critical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom