Howard Washington | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Nine months is a fairly well established minimum to return to sports, which would put him back in mid to late November at best. Younger athletes have a higher propensity for reinjury, so I would hope HW takes his time rehabbing and getting it right.

I hear ya and I agree. Maybe expectations and goals need to be recalibrated.

There are different degrees. This is not the expectation here.

I believe it was a partial tear.

I did find it interesting on Selection Sunday, in that joyous celebration, HW was jumping up and down in that video almost as if he never even had surgery on his knee. Additionally, in subsequent (video) celebrations as SU continued to advance in the tourney, HW seemed to be celebrating in the same manner, without much reservation.

I believe Syracuse should have plenty of guard depth without Howard Washington but redshirting would be brutal for him after missing so much of this past season. Let’s see how things pan out before assuming he’s redshirting.

If Buddy doesn’t redshirt, JB is going to have figure out the backcourt rotation. I wanted JB to play 4 this year before GT left. That didn’t work out. He didn’t even want to give HW time when he was the only backup.

Now that one of the candidates is Buddy BOEHEIM, everybody is giving him playing time. Interesting.
Buddy is playing next year. He is not redshirting.

Buddy is playing next year. He is not redshirting.

Yeah, I never thought he was redshirting. I just find it interesting that everyone is so sure JB is putting Buddy in a 4-guard rotation. It was so crazy when I suggested it for this past season. I'm not saying Buddy can't play; it's just interesting how the narrative has changed. With Buddy getting minutes could we see some of Hughes at the 3? It'll be interesting.

He might get 34 mpg next year, but his leash will be shorter.

everyone's leash is always shorter when there are quality backups.

Yeah, I never thought he was redshirting. I just find it interesting that everyone is so sure JB is putting Buddy in a 4-guard rotation. It was so crazy when I suggested it for this past season. I'm not saying Buddy can't play; it's just interesting how the narrative has changed. With Buddy getting minutes could we see some of Hughes at the 3? It'll be interesting.

I don't think Hughes is going to be the 3 point shooter that some people are expecting. I think when people zone us, Buddy is going to be on the floor. I believe he will probably be our best shooter, like almost certainly.

I know, I just happened to respond to your post. Next year's rotation will be interesting. Lots of flexibility and experience.

Unless Frank Howard suddenly develops a basketball IQ, people need to recalibrate their expectations for next year's team. Having a guy like Jalen Carey will help because JB can yank Frank when he throws one of his patented half court alley oops to the top of the backboard, but those what the heck plays will still be costly. Frank Howard should be playing 25-28 MPG next season but will get a lot more minutes than that.

I'd like to think by his senior year Frank would be a better decision-maker but I'll believe it when I see it. His turnovers were curbed considerably in the last 15 games or so and that was a step in the right direction. Still, there were way too many plays you can't make as a junior point guard.

Last edited:
I don't think Hughes is going to be the 3 point shooter that some people are expecting. I think when people zone us, Buddy is going to be on the floor. I believe he will probably be our best shooter, like almost certainly.
I think you are wrong. Both Hughes and Buddy are good shooters. Buddy can shoot the crap out of the ball. But Hughes along with being a good shooter is a much better player. I would be surprised if Buddy played a lot next year. If he does, it may be because JB doesn't want to sleep on the couch.

I think we are putting way too much pressure on Buddy. I would sign up for 38% from outside the arc from him.

HW is very excited about the talent this team will have next year and he wants to be a part of it. He’s not thinking about redshirting. His plan is to rehab from the surgery and be ready to go this fall and fight for a spot in the rotation.

He’s not the one who makes the decisions but that’s the mindset.

IMO he’s the only true point guard on the roster. Will that matter? Maybe not. Keep in mind, Washington is older than your typical frosh. He wants to play.
Actually he will be the one to make the decision to red shirt. JB has normally not red shirted anyone who chose not to go that route.

I think we are putting way too much pressure on Buddy. I would sign up for 38% from outside the arc from him.

I agree with that. He might even shoot "only" 36% as a frosh. But if he's open, I will believe that the shot is going in.

With Hughes, people keep telling me how good he is, but I think the only guy who has ever lived up to the off-season hype was Wes Johnson. He truly was good enough to force Paul Harris out the door.

He won't be recovered from his ACL until about mid-season. I think he takes a medical redshirt next year.

He injured it in January. It doesn't take a year to recover from an ACL tear.

I believe it was a partial tear.

It honestly doesn't make too much of a difference I don't think because no matter how "bad" the tear is its going to get reconstructed with a graft (donor or from HW) regardless since ACLs cant heal on their own.

Take this with a grain of salt since I have no idea about Howard Washingtons care.

I agree with that. He might even shoot "only" 36% as a frosh. But if he's open, I will believe that the shot is going in.

With Hughes, people keep telling me how good he is, but I think the only guy who has ever lived up to the off-season hype was Wes Johnson. He truly was good enough to force Paul Harris out the door.

Yeah, if you've noticed, I haven't said much at all about Hughes. That's because I take these reports of him playing so well in practice with a grain of salt. I'm not doubting that he's playing well but let's see him do it in games. He wasn't very good at ECU as a freshman. I think he will be solid for us but we have to see. I hope he's mastered the zone in his year here. It'll be Inexcuseable if he hasn't. He has tremendous size for the top of the zone but might not be we will see if he's going to play minutes at the 3 and if he's big enough to rebound there.

Actually he will be the one to make the decision to red shirt. JB has normally not red shirted anyone who chose not to go that route.

Okay, JB has said that and he said that this year when Bourama was hurt. That said, if a healthy HW is told he's not going to get time this year, then the decision is essentially being made for him.

Frank is going to play 35 minutes per game. That's not up for debate. That leaves roughly 45 minutes per game for the rest of the guards.

Between Carey, Hughes & Boeheim, they're going to suck up at LEAST 40 minutes between them at the other guard spot. And that's being VERY conservative.

I could see Hughes getting 25 minutes (20 at the 2 guard), Carey getting 20 minutes and Boeheim getting 5.

Don't see how Washington fits with this roster.

Exactly.

He wants to play? Dynamite.

But I've been watching Syracuse basketball for over 30 years and can say with near certainty that, barring injury, he won't play. Not, at least, any more than he did this year. But he's also positioned to play 35 minutes a game for three years after that. So why not preserve the ability to maximize his playing time during the course of his eligibility? I understand the arrogance/confidence that comes with being a high-level athlete, but these kids would be better served if they thought strategically about these things.

these are always an exercise in futility but, I think it'll be something like Frank 34, Carey 25, Hughes 25 with 4 mins. of Hughes time coming at sf. if Hughes gets no time at sf, then either he or Carey will get 21.

Suddenly Hughes looks a lot more likely to get minutes at forward if he's got the ability. Still think that just ups Frank and Carey's minutes rather than opening up an opportunity for a reserve, though.

Story is that when they went in and did the surgery on Washington, that they discovered it was only a partial tear and not as serious as originally thought to be. He is doing a bike already, and his recovery is way faster than expected. He will be back on the court this summer.
If you watch the videos of the open practices for the NCAA he is on the floor, dressed in his shorts and t-shirt, no brace, no wrap, just his leg. He was under the basket catching the balls and feeding them back to the players. Players were running right past him, and at times he would step out and tussle with them a little. The leg was not protected in any way.

Suddenly Hughes looks a lot more likely to get minutes at forward if he's got the ability. Still think that just ups Frank and Carey's minutes rather than opening up an opportunity for a reserve, though.

Now I see it something like Frank 35, Carey 30, and Hughes 30 with 15 of his minutes at the 3. Leaving out Buddy and HW for now. I’ll take the easy route and say Chewy and Sid are 20/20. I’ll then say Brissett 35, Dolezaj 30 and Hughes 15 at the forward spots. At least that’s what I’d do.

Story is that when they went in and did the surgery on Washington, that they discovered it was only a partial tear and not as serious as originally thought to be. He is doing a bike already, and his recovery is way faster than expected. He will be back on the court this summer.
If you watch the videos of the open practices for the NCAA he is on the floor, dressed in his shorts and t-shirt, no brace, no wrap, just his leg. He was under the basket catching the balls and feeding them back to the players. Players were running right past him, and at times he would step out and tussle with them a little. The leg was not protected in any way.

Hopefully it is that positive and only a partial tear. At one point after the injury some people were describing it as horrifying.

Now I see it something like Frank 35, Carey 30, and Hughes 30 with 15 of his minutes at the 3. Leaving out Buddy and HW for now. I’ll take the easy route and say Chewy and Sid are 20/20. I’ll then say Brissett 35, Dolezaj 30 and Hughes 15 at the forward spots. At least that’s what I’d do.

Silver lining from yesterday's news: at least there's no possibility of the stringbean freshman taking time away from the real centers. Unless there's an injury or foul catastrophe and Dolezaj has to slide over, those guys will share all the minutes. I think that's best for our defense and their individual development.

Out of a true freshman?

Heck, I'd take 33%.

He could muster a performance like this guy's second freshman year: Mookie Jones

But we always seem to forget how rare it is for a Syracuse player to shoot over 36%. That's excellent, and I'm not expecting excellence from someone who's never played college basketball against college basketball players. Especially when he's got a bunch of talent ahead of him. Shooters need consistent minutes to shoot well. Mookie's the exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom