Howard Washington | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

I think he was quoting.
"Coach GMac and Coach Boeheim, that's the first thing they said," Washington said. "I'm Tyler Ennis 2.0."
Didn't Ennis' father who's coaching Washington in Canada, hang that handle on him?

I hate to say it, but this video doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence that he can contribute in a meaningful way next year. Looks like he needs a lot of work. Doesn't seem to elevate very well on his jumpshot, his release is early in his jump, his release point is low, and he didn't follow through on half the shots shown in the video. Shot needs a fair amount of tweaking. The basics are there, but he will have to work hard with the staff. My hope is that he can be slowly worked into the rotation and play a bigger role as an upperclassman.

It's arguably as small as a sample size can get and that probably needs to be a disclaimer on any observation of a video like that, but I agree. I also tend to be a person that feels the hype gets out of control on recruits a lot while also believing that recruits people don't pay much attention to or even write off entirely (which it feels like some have done with Washington) can often turn out to be really solid players. Loved Josh Pace and Fair (who was pretty under the radar at least due to the knee injury), etc.

Anyway, point is w/o watching a ton of film or whatnot I tend to think HW will have a chance to contribute and be solid here. But from what you see in that video (and I acknowledge he's tried to change the mechanics of his J) it's hard to imagine him contributing early -- especially in a game going more and more toward three-point shooting.

Never know, though.

I hate to say it, but this video doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence that he can contribute in a meaningful way next year. Looks like he needs a lot of work. Doesn't seem to elevate very well on his jumpshot, his release is early in his jump, his release point is low, and he didn't follow through on half the shots shown in the video. Shot needs a fair amount of tweaking. The basics are there, but he will have to work hard with the staff. My hope is that he can be slowly worked into the rotation and play a bigger role as an upperclassman.

I don't disagree based on that video alone, but I'm not reading too much into a King of Kings game. Also, if you read the article, HW was playing after having a root canal that day...

I think the video reinforces a lot of the takes on HW before he committed. That he can potentially contribute...but he's a few years away.

The only difference now is people feel compelled to make themselves feel better about "settling" for Washington after losing Quade Green.

he is the type of kid when the lights go on, he is a different player, very smooth, pass 1st, excellent shooter and free throw shooter, confident, a leader and the staff is very impressed, high hopes

he is the type of kid when the lights go on, he is a different player, very smooth, pass 1st, excellent shooter and free throw shooter, confident, a leader and the staff is very impressed, high hopes
You still need stars, but role players can be effective too (another excellent point in Francis' P-26). Pace and Eidelin didn't exactly have perfect jumper form either ... ;)

Will he be like Tyler Ennis and contribute at a very high level or will he be like Kaleb Joseph? Or maybe he will be like FH and take a couple of years to develop? Anyone have any good insights? I have no idea.

Will he be like Tyler Ennis and contribute at a very high level or will he be like Kaleb Joseph? Or maybe he will be like FH and take a couple of years to develop? Anyone have any good insights? I have no idea.
I admire your optimism on Howard. Hope you're right.

My memory isnt as great as yours, so what is this hatred of a suplex? It's one of my favorite moves!!!!!

09 S16 game when it was close down the stretch. Wes was bringing us back and Matt Howard (think that was his name) performed a textbook takedown on the baseline on Joseph. It wasn't really a suplex but it was wresting not bball and certainly not the block out it was supposed to be.

09 S16 game when it was close down the stretch. Wes was bringing us back and Matt Howard (think that was his name) performed a textbook takedown on the baseline on Joseph. It wasn't really a suplex but it was wresting not bball and certainly not the block out it was supposed to be.
Butler's Matt Howard may be the worst non-Duke flopper I've seen in my 20+ years of watching college hoops. Dude ended up on the floor, whether on offense or defense, on-ball or away from the play, at least 40% of the total possessions each game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom