HUGE credit to Judah | Syracusefan.com

HUGE credit to Judah

mark79

All Conference
This board has been pretty critical of Judah thus far. Some of it justified, some not so much.

That said, we have mostly been in agreement that he could do a better job playing the role of playmaker. Well ladies and gentleman, we now need to give him a TON of credit because he played that role brilliantly against Miami. 13 assists including the game-winning assist is what we’ve been calling for and he delivered in a HUGE way. If he can continue to play that role and JJ and Bell (and hopefully Taylor) can hit some 3’s we will be a tough out.

This board has been pretty critical of Judah thus far. Some of it justified, some not so much.

That said, we have mostly been in agreement that he could do a better job playing the role of playmaker. Well ladies and gentleman, we now need to give him a TON of credit because he played that role brilliantly against Miami. 13 assists including the game-winning assist is what we’ve been calling for and he delivered in a HUGE way. If he can continue to play that role and JJ and Bell (and hopefully Taylor) can hit some 3’s we will be a tough out.
I think he’s been pretty good the past two games.

100%! And I’ve been one of the ones that has been critical, mostly because of his 25 point/1 or 2 assist games and wanted a change of style in his play. Well the last two games did that. 17 rebounds AND 18 assists w/ only 5 turnovers!! While he won’t be happy with his shooting stats (6-24) in these two games, it should show him that he doesn’t have to try and do it all himself. Well done Judah

100%! And I’ve been one of the ones that has been critical, mostly because of his 25 point/1 or 2 assist games and wanted a change of style in his play. Well the last two games did that. 17 rebounds AND 18 assists w/ only 5 turnovers!! While he won’t be happy with his shooting stats (6-24) in these two games, it should show him that he doesn’t have to try and do it all himself. Well done Judah

I expect his shooting statistics will improve as long as he continues to play an all a round game. 1st it takes a lot of effort and discipline to change how you play, that can detract from other areas of someone's game in the short term. 2nd teams will have to adjust and think twice about going all out to stop his scoring if he continues to facilitate at a high level. That will in tern give him more openings and better quality shots.

BTW I am very happy with Mintz the last two games. Its not easy to change how you play even if you have the ability to play differently. Playing style and decisions made in the flow become habit. He has tremendous talent to the point where I think he could average 7/8 assists a game the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Judah has been fighting for rebounds the past two games and it’s been great to watch.
Very obvious change. Judah might be the most explosive, fast twitch leaper on the team. Adding defensive rebounding effort to his arsenal will make a big difference because he seems more than capable.

This focus might have some/minor impact on his ability to get out in transition as quickly. But the end result will be a definitive net positive. This team NEEDS to send 5 to the defensive boards.

Judah has been fighting for rebounds the past two games and it’s been great to watch.
I've always thought that the PG's job was winning games. Whatever it takes, scoring, assists, rebounding...whatever. Judah is playing like that right now. The best thing about having a PG that plays like that is the rest of the team usually follows suit. This is a different team than early in the year.

Judah's Ast% is almost at 30 for conference games

Ast% is defined as an "estimate of the percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted while they were on the floor"

Last time we've had that done by the starting PG on our team was John Gillon in 16-17

This team, as a whole, has no good defensive players. Cuffe is probably the best at staying low and keeping his feet moving, but he falls asleep and is often late closing out on shooters. Watching GT and WF last night you see guys who have the ability to get shots off quickly coming off screens or just creating shots for themselves and others. We have no one who has a quick release with little space coming off a screen. Bell has a quick release, but when guarded by a bigger player he can’t get a shot off and he can’t create for himself, or god forbid setting up a teammate. I can’t remember a single play where Bell created something for a teammate by passing or dribbling the entire year. Our guys would be much better if we had a PJ Hall type player in the post. It’s why we struggle getting the ball inbounds from under the basket. There’s no big that concerns defenses. With Jesse last year we got all kinds of shots with under the basket inbound plays. I don’t know how Chance fits in next year, but I do know he’s an excellent passer. Unfortunately, he’s not proven that he can make jumpers. McCloud would really help us against big, strong big men. They would not get all the easy baskets inside that teams are getting. Freeman should help, but I’m not expecting him to come in and solve all of our interior defense and rebounding issues. Moore is a flat out scorer AND shooter, but again, there’s a huge learning curve. Until we know who’s staying or going, it’s difficult to gauge what this roster may look like next year. If Judah comes back, there’s zero chance a point guard portals to SU. A small forward won’t come with all the wing players we have on our current roster. There might be a big, physical kid out there that sees a need for that type of player. Do our coaches think Patterson or Carey are going to be factors next year? I’d love to get in Red’s head to see what he’s thinking for next year. None of us are patient. We want to know now!

I do believe Freeman changes the equation on inside defense and scoring.

Of course any team wants a true center who can defend and score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom