Huggy Bear resigns | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Huggy Bear resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s exactly what Jesses does. Dunk, rebound and blocks shots. Almost better than anyone. You’re kidding yourselves if you don’t think Jesses doesn’t make this team better. If Jesse was at SU, we would already be ranked in the top 25 next year. It’s all for not because he isn’t coming back.

In a guard centric offense and a pressure mtm he will be a fish out of water often. I'm surprised so many don't grasp this.

When forced to guard a driver on a switch, he will get himself into trouble often. He did a better job with fouls last year in the zone but when he has been isolated his lateral mobility creates issues.

Jesse makes a positive difference yes but people are over rating how much better by a good margin. That's from someone who likes Jesse a lot and wanted him back.

Now- there is this delusion we push someone out to have him return. That's absolutely nuts and poisonous to a locker room and a team. Others have noted it but again it can't be emphasized enough. He isn't the difference between a contender vs non contender. The key to having a higher ceiling was Judah returning.

I’m a big believer in putting the best team on the floor. Sorry so many dislike the truth. Jesse was also heavily influenced by his dad to make this decision. I believe I’ve heard that a bunch of times too and also not to blame Jesse for his departure which I’ve also heard a bunch of times in now closed Jesse thread.

I’m surprised some on here are so vehemently opposed to a possibility of returning when so many also on here indicated how good of a kid Jesse was, how much he bleeded orange and so on and so on. It doesn’t mean those other players aren’t keeping their scholarships by having Jesse come back as a walk on to help your team win games. Somebody alluded to him being a walk-on which isn’t a bad idea. Jesse made a decision that didn’t work out and it’s only natural for a young kid to want to go back to something they know and lean on people he trusts- perhaps our coaching staff. Or let him go play for another team and average 15 and 12 while (our current situation) we have a collection of centers that aren’t ready yet. Yes I get the loyalty point to current recruits. Carey isn’t a center by any stretch of the imagination, Patterson will be redshirted. That leaves our newest center and HIMA who could put in ten minutes then get into foul trouble. Just saying, but yes in the end he won’t come back here I get it. Please don’t sit here and try to explain your rationale that we have a better roster of centers without Jesse because that’s totally not true.
Who says McCloud isn’t ready?

Same people who probably said Jesse wasn’t ready in 2021? Until he was. Now he’s Kareem Abdul Jabbar or something.

That’s exactly what Jesses does. Dunk, rebound and blocks shots. Almost better than anyone. You’re kidding yourselves if you don’t think Jesses doesn’t make this team better. If Jesse was at SU, we would already be ranked in the top 25 next year. It’s all for not because he isn’t coming back.
We aren’t playing slow next year. Jesse has also never played man to man. He’s a good player, but a bit overrated by this board and the experts. Anyone with physicality had his way with him.

Not sure why I’m arguing this anyway because it’s over. Move on.

Who says McCloud isn’t ready?

Same people who probably said Jesse wasn’t ready in 2021? Until he was. Now he’s Kareem Abdul Jabbar or something.

Yeah. Also Dean's pod did a great job breaking down NMs game and he has a 7 minute tape as well he put together. It's worth the money to watch it because for me- despite McLeods flaws- his hands are as strong if not stronger than Jesses and he actually moves better laterally than Jesse. He is not as advanced from a bball iq standpoint or in terms of polish offensively of course which is where Jesse is so coveted. But he has 4 inches and 25 lbs on Jesse with a strong staff to help him take another step.

The ship has sailed and I wish Jesse the best.

If Jesse's NIL deal is laden with personal incentives, this might actually be a boon for him. He could rack up monster stats this coming season, and pickup every single penny.

If Jesse's NIL deal is laden with personal incentives, this might actually be a boon for him. He could rack up monster stats this coming season, and pickup every single penny.
That would also be pay for play and not NIL if I am understanding you correctly.

And for those wanting us to cut a kid to bring Jesse back, you get to do that once. Whether it is sports, Life or business. And no one ever trusts you again. Word gets around about how much your word means and how much you can be trusted.
I don’t think the idea would be to cut anyone’s scholarship. That would and should never happen. It would be offering Jesse to become a walk on and pay his own way for a year using NIL money. There’s a school that’s doing that next year but I can’t recall which one. Anyhow, I assume the ship has sailed with Jesse either way.

Last edited:
We aren’t playing slow next year. Jesse has also never played man to man. He’s a good player, but a bit overrated by this board and the experts. Anyone with physicality had his way with him.

Not sure why I’m arguing this anyway because it’s over. Move on.
Totally overrated. Was sad to see him go but now im glad both Joe and him are gone. Clean slate. N

He must have terrible demons to continue to be this self destructive. While there is a physical component to most addictions, it usually comes down some type of underlying mental health issues. If he doesn’t address those, he will kill himself with alcohol.

I don’t think the idea would be to cut anyone. That would and should never happen. It would be to offer Jesse to become a walk on and pay his own way for a year using NIL money. There’s a school that’s doing that next year but I can’t recall which one. Anyhow, I assume the ship has sailed with Jesse either way.

It's still cutting someone's minutes to nothing though so basically it's the same outcome just with that player sitting on the bench instead of going elsewhere. Same impact from being a poison to the locker room

Depending on the guaranteed money, if I'm Jesse I'm seeing what deals are available in Eurupe and if something solid comes up time to go pro.
Very good point and an option that Jesse would probably be open to more than some others since Europe is home anyway.

Again, which player who has already signed on the dotted line do you ask to unsign and leave? Not a good look if the player is even willing to do it.
Can’t cut scholarships.

And yet there is a litany of top coaches who would do it. Didn't Pitino just sign Simeon Wilcher when he already had 13. You know Self would do it. Coach K. Cal. It's all about winning. They routinely recruit over players.
Yes, St John’s is the team that just did it. I couldn’t recall who in my post above. Wilcher is gonna come in as walk on but get NIL. No one’s scholarship is getting cut. If you have the ability to make your team better, you do it.

Last edited:
If he bled orange he would have stayed and I’m not convinced he makes us better.

We don’t need a ball dominant center with the guards we have. We want those guys to have the ball.

It makes zero sense to have a center that will take the ball away from those guys when we are looking to play fast.

Give me someone who can dunk, rebound, and block shots.

The team and the coaches have moved on.
Hard to walk away from an extra (if rumors are true) $400k over a basketball season.

Yes! that’s the team that just did it. I couldn’t recall who. If you have the ability to make your team better, you do it.

This is different. It's the middle of June. Pushing someone out for Jesse or making him #14 out of 13 would be an absolute awful and stupid decision right now. Pitino is at a program that will get a boost while he is there but it wont be a long stay. He is also a HOFr.

Last I saw the Wilcher situation as a walk on vs scholly isn't settled yet either as they have a waiver on an Iona kid to be resolved.

I don't know who would do what. I will have to take your word for it that St johns was over the limit. When has Cal and Self done anything like take a player when they have 13 in June of that year? Either you run an honorable business, team or life, or you don't. Because some others might do something, isn't a answer for what you should do. This isn't a close call. If someone were to leave or quit on their own, that is one thing. But that isn't what we are talking about here.
Fanta indicated Wilcher would be a walk on and get paid NIL to cover tuition. Others have said guard Daniss Jenkins from Iona hasn’t graduated yet (so might not be a grad transfer) and may not get a no-sit-out waiver so won’t be able to compete next season.

https://twitter.com/john_fanta/status/1668357886878048256?s=46&t=RtEJIchZ5r8ArjkidyJFyQ

This is different. It's the middle of June. Pushing someone out for Jesse or making him #14 out of 13 would be an absolute awful and stupid decision right now. Pitino is at a program that will get a boost while he is there but it wont be a long stay. He is also a HOFr.

Last I saw the Wilcher situation as a walk on vs scholly isn't settled yet either as they have a waiver on an Iona kid to be resolved.
I’m not advocating for us to try to bring back Jesse. I don’t really know how I feel about it yet. I’m just saying it’s a possibility because the scholarship limit isn’t necessarily a barrier. Why would it be “awful”?

Status
Not open for further replies.