Hughes and PC | Syracusefan.com

Hughes and PC

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Last night reinforced in my mind that Eli and PC hold the fate of our season in their hands. Hughes seems to have hit a wall (or may be playing thru a nagging injury), but we need him to find his legs and return to shooting good shots, being active on D, swatting weak side shots, etc.

As for PC - we are infinitely better defensively when he is on the floor. We are not good enough this year at the other 4 spots on the floor on the defensive end for Chewy to not play. Not sure what he did last night to vanish, but Sid - who played well - wasn't Bob Lanier out there. We need him engaged and focused and on the floor going forward.

I"m done waiting for Frank, Oshae and even Tyus to be consistent and be legit alphas. I'm also done waiting on JB to change. Marek and Buddy are role guys. We have 2 wildcards that can influence outcomes outside of the core 4 of OB, Frank, Tyus, and JB, and its Hughes and PC.

Hughes is 6th in the ACC in total minutes. Avg 32+ mpg (14th in ACC). Only played like 20 mpg at ECU and that was two years ago.

Could he be simply wearing down? And I’m not saying anything about JB, player minutes, etc. Merely trying to figure out what is up with him.

Hughes is mostly a spot up shooter who has to rely on others to get him the ball. When our guards are focusing everything they have on not getting stripped, they don't set anybody else up. The guards put their heads down and try to score because it's easier than beating the ball pressure AND hitting the open man, which requires court vision nobody, except maybe Marek, has.

So Hughes doesn't get the ball in great spots to shoot and he can't create space for himself, especially against pressure.

I"m done waiting for Frank, Oshae and even Tyus to be consistent and be legit alphas.

If Tyus isn't a legit alpha in college basketball, there is like 5 alphas in the whole sport.

The issue is the consistency and 3-point shooting that needs to happen around him to make his life easier in the lane. If 3-pointers aren't falling, Tyus is driving into 3 dudes in the lane. We had dudes air-balling wide open 3-pointers last night, not sure I've seen that in a Cuse game in awhile.[/QUOTE]

Hughes is 6th in the ACC in total minutes. Avg 32+ mpg (14th in ACC). Only played like 20 mpg at ECU and that was two years ago.

Could he be simply wearing down? And I’m not saying anything about JB, player minutes, etc. Merely trying to figure out what is up with him.

Hughes would be fine if he took college 3-pointers and not NBA 3-pointers. If Hughes would shoot from where Howard shoots, I personally think he would be around 40 %.

If Tyus isn't a legit alpha in college basketball, there is like 5 alphas in the whole sport.

The issue is the consistency and 3-point shooting that needs to happen around him to make his life easier in the lane. If 3-pointers aren't falling, Tyus is driving into 3 dudes in the lane. We had dudes air-balling wide open 3-pointers last night, not sure I've seen that in a Cuse game in awhile.
[/QUOTE]
I like Tyus but I don't think he is an Alpha - I think he has been forced into that role due to the talent surrounding him. There are a ton more alphas than 5 and not all of them are NBA 1st rounders. He is a very good college player, and its splitting hairs but to me he isn't an Alpha.

We're too dependent on Hughes 3 point shooting. he has to have the self awareness to take it inside more when he's cold from 3. Brissett also took some bad shots.

Last night reinforced in my mind that Eli and PC hold the fate of our season in their hands. Hughes seems to have hit a wall (or may be playing thru a nagging injury), but we need him to find his legs and return to shooting good shots, being active on D, swatting weak side shots, etc.

As for PC - we are infinitely better defensively when he is on the floor. We are not good enough this year at the other 4 spots on the floor on the defensive end for Chewy to not play. Not sure what he did last night to vanish, but Sid - who played well - wasn't Bob Lanier out there. We need him engaged and focused and on the floor going forward.

I"m done waiting for Frank, Oshae and even Tyus to be consistent and be legit alphas. I'm also done waiting on JB to change. Marek and Buddy are role guys. We have 2 wildcards that can influence outcomes outside of the core 4 of OB, Frank, Tyus, and JB, and its Hughes and PC.
lot of standing around in the corner

Highes has to be hurt or just physically drained. I recall reading an article stating how much he loves soda and fast food, prob doesnt help. Looks pretty clunky out there

Saw him at OIP early afternoon the day of the FSU game. Not sure that's what I would have chosen for a pre-game meal, but he's 20 or 21 years old, so he can probably get away with it. :cool:

Highes has to be hurt or just physically drained. I recall reading an article stating how much he loves soda and fast food, prob doesnt help. Looks pretty clunky out there
Drained from what? He sat out last year.

except on D, because the corner was open all damn night.

I agree. I believe our motto is win with the defense this year and hope Tyus/Oshae score.

Why not go back to last years lineup? Marek starting, use Braswell for 10mins a game at the back of the zone when Marek is out and force Hughes to get Buddy’s/Franks minutes? If we want to go on to bigger things that might be a route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom