hughes staying or going | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

hughes staying or going

Good teams (tail end of draft) want guys who can contribute, not star for a long time.
Agreed, but they are developing them in the G-league now. The g-league teams run the same offense and defense as their NBA affiliate and with 2-way contracts it gives the NBA teams a lot more flexibility to draft young and develop in house.

I guess from a team perspective he will always remember his last year at Syracuse as an 18-14 team. If he is satisfied with that then I guess leave

I think Hughes is 5x more aggressive and physical than Battle. Hughes doesn’t pull punches on defensive fouls and has no fear when flying towards the rim

I don’t think it’s physicality or aggressiveness. Tyus had plenty of that. Hughes is a far better pure shooter and a more fluid athlete. Much better NBA skill set.

I thought I read somewhere that Hughes has had a number of concussions and it’s not gonna be easier in nba. Wonder if teams consider this possible vulnerability.

I would be shocked if he goes in the first round, simple because he is 22. Teams draft on potential these days and develop guys in the G-league.

SOME teams do that, depending on where they are drafting. Others draft plug-and-play guys due to the qulity of the existing roster

It's okay to hit a single once in awhile, too, instead of just swinging for the fences.

SOME teams do that, depending on where they are drafting. Others draft plug-and-play guys due to the qulity of the existing roster

It's okay to hit a single once in awhile, too, instead of just swinging for the fences.
There are 2 teams without an affiliate, both should have one next year.

I would say 99.9 gone if.the corona virus doesnt happen. Now with everything in flux I think there is more than a decent chance he comes back.

It just seems strange to go from out of the top 100 to inside the first round with no workouts. Great for him if it happens.

Gotta take those lists with a grain of salt. Scouts may see things differently. In general, it’s probably pretty close to where they rank players, but they could have one kid a lot higher, or lower, depending on what they value as an organization. There’s a team out there that will take a shot on him based on production, not potential. It certainly could be in the 2nd round, but it only takes one team to love your game to go in the 1st round.

Even if he somehow goes undrafted, since teams start taking flyers on foreigners in the 2nd, it won’t be the worst thing for his career. As he can then pick the organization he wants to go to, depending on who is interested. He can stay away from the TWolves, and Kings, so that’s a plus. Where Cuse players go to die. Things will work out for him, regardless of what round he is drafted in. As long as he doesn’t end up stuck in a terrible organization, and get buried in the G League, then he will have a shot to prove himself, with the summer league especially. There’s gonna be solid team drafting at the end of round 1 that may need a 3, and D guy to play the 2 for their second unit. Or they could put him at the 3 in a small ball lineup.

He really fits in well for what teams are doing in the NBA today. Would love to see him get a shot in Orlando. They could use a ball handling shooter/scorer at the 2. Could move on from Fournier in 2021, start T Ross, then plug Eli into the 2nd unit. Also have Fultz, MCW, and DJ that split time at the point, and sometimes they put two of them on the floor together, so Eli wouldn’t be asked to do too much right away. They may not even keep all 3. A man can dream.

I’d say I hope the Knicks grab him, but wouldn’t wanna do that to the poor kid. Plenty of solid organizations that could use a player like Eli. Excited to see where he ends up. He would be nuts to stay. Waters says there’s a chance. I’d obviously love it if he did stick around, but there’s nothing more for him to prove, and he really could only hurt his stock with another year. Risking injury, or not performing as well as he did this year. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Last edited:
I guess from a team perspective he will always remember his last year at Syracuse as an 18-14 team. If he is satisfied with that then I guess leave
Like saying the accounting major who kinda bombed his last semester while he partied, but still got his job at the Big 6 firm, should be sad.

This is ridiculous. The virus is the issue all sports will return around the same time. It can't be compared to the economy at large.

No NBA prospect stayed in college because of the 2008 financial crisis.

NBA teams scout and evaluate players all year long.

It was an analogy. The NBA evaluation process wasn’t halted in 2008 like it is now. If it was it would have negatively impacted fringe NBA players same as ppl going out to the workforce was. I’m not saying he shouldn’t go. I am saying he has the option to wait it out and play another year or keep more options by staying. If this ends in another month then it won’t be an issue but if business is impacted into July-August that is a tough spot.
If he goes out gets undrafted and cannot catch on with a euro team because they don’t eval him and basically sits out there. That is better then him staying getting college paid for another year and keeping exposure in Syracuse next year? Idk, maybe I am more risk adverse then most ppl.

Last edited:
I want him back because I think the leap from year 2 to 3 would be big and hes not at his ceiling.

But next year might be the worst year to enter the draft with 2x as many seniors.

There is no benefit to the way this season ended for SU other than getting to go out with a shellacking of UNC. Not getting a piece of the extra year unique rule change is significant. Losing your best player who might go undrafted after a solid 5 years straight of everyone leaving too early to do nothing in pro ball when you aren't even that good and hardly Duke or UK stinks. Even if we pick up a capable transfer PG to replace all those guards who left who knows if hes not gonna go Geno Thorpe on us for only having a backup role. The 'wheels' could easily come off next year and even if they don't we might be in a situation like this year where it looks like they will.

It isn’t Elijah’s fault our program has nobody to replace him.

Boeheim is saying he isn’t recruiting anyone right now. We have 10 guys, 3 of which are centers.

Let’s hope Braswell makes a quantum leap or Richmond is the real deal. Guerrier could also take a leap, too, but we have absolutely no depth.

This is ridiculous. The virus is the issue all sports will return around the same time. It can't be compared to the economy at large.

No NBA prospect stayed in college because of the 2008 financial crisis.

NBA teams scout and evaluate players all year long.
All sports in the U.S. but maybe not all countries. Not every country got on top of things quickly and there is variance to how well overseas leagues are funded. Both could delay things over there. It's really difficult to predict anything right now. This is uncharted territory.

All sports in the U.S. but maybe not all countries. Not every country got on top of things quickly and there is variance to how well overseas leagues are funded. Both could delay things over there. It's really difficult to predict anything right now. This is uncharted territory.
Agreed! but I see him in the NBA or G-league next year.

Agreed! but I see him in the NBA or G-league next year.
It probably depends on how confident he is in leagues being up and running. I would think NBA summer league is in doubt and it's possible preseason could be abbreviated. That would give guys like him less time to find a spot. It's also possible teams may make fewer moves, if they have less time to evaluate prospects.

I would be shocked if he goes in the first round, simple because he is 22. Teams draft on potential these days and develop guys in the G-league.
I’m hoping this past season might change that. Guys like Eric Paschall out of Nova, performed really well for the Warriors, and now golden state is saying they’re looking for players who are ready to contribute right away.

If you’re going just off the tape, what is there not to like. An the nba has less defense lol. This is a weak draft for scorers too. I expect some good things for him on draft day

1584919030534.gif

I’m hoping this past season might change that. Guys like Eric Paschall out of Nova, performed really well for the Warriors, and now golden state is saying they’re looking for players who are ready to contribute right away.
Last year might have been a blessing in disguise for the warriors. They got to develop a lot of young guys and they will have a good draft pick.

There have been some other players who I truly felt were going too early (I'm not naming them because I've learned its verboten to say that publicly), but Hughes is not one. I think this is probably the right time to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom