hughes staying or going | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

hughes staying or going

Great for us if he Stays, but if he isnt getting drafted does he really go? Having his degree is there a value in getting more free schooling? He isnt even in top 100 on many boards which is somewhat surprising.
50/50.

what is another year of college gonna do? Honestly? He led the acc in scoring. He has nothing left to show. This draft is weakest in ages. There is zero benefit to him staying. Even if he averaged 26 a game it’s not gonna do anything... Hughes is such a better prospect than Battle and it’s not even close
If he improves as much again as this year he’s a first rounder next yesr

You clearly have never heard of the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Why didn’t Jordan just keep getting better by huge leaps and bounds every year?
Lebron? Steph?

It’s hard, sometimes impossible, to make huge improvements once you get to a certain level.
It’s just small, incremental improvements after that. If any. Until you hit your ceiling.

And the ceiling is the roof.

Last edited:
- lose a year of earnings
- stronger draft next year
- Chance for a serious injury
Correct it was a down year in the ACC because the freshmen class was relatively weak, which equals a weaker draft class...

He is gone stop asking this question. The real question is where is his replacement. ? Will JB get get to work and a get big?

Last edited:
He averaged like 19/5/4 and led the ACC in scoring. in your mind what are his stats if he “improves that much again”.

his tape is there, even if he averages 22/6/5 next year his draft stock won’t change.

You could argue that he could be more consistent from 3 and maybe being a better distributor...but other than that he has nothing to prove.

he’s a great player but if he’s not a first rounder now he won’t be one next year either

I bolded the flaw in your line of thinking. And, if hes likelt in the same spot next year, thats all the more reason he should still go.
You are totally missing my point. The point is the virus screws up eval process...nothing to do with his talent. Also you bolded the point but I said before all this stuff happened. Meaning nobody knows given there is no combine or draft process to speak of right now.

You are totally missing my point. The point is the virus screws up eval process...nothing to do with his talent. Also you bolded the point but I said before all this stuff happened. Meaning nobody knows given there is no combine or draft process to speak of right now.

please explain to me how lack of combine impacts elijah negatively. It could, i suppose, but please explain why. Im not challenging, while more curious to know.

please explain to me how lack of combine impacts elijah negatively. It could, i suppose, but please explain why. Im not challenging, while more curious to know.

I believe an insider said (forgot what thread it was), that no combine could help Eli. Maybe they thought he wouldn’t test out too well in certain drills?

I believe an insider said (forgot what thread it was), that no combine could help Eli. Maybe they thought he wouldn’t test out too well in certain drills?

I was told that the lack of combine is going to help him from SU themselves. He would probably test out fine, but without it, you’re forced to go strictly off gametape and in person games that execs saw.To be completely honest, the NBA combine is not nearly as important as NFL. NBA cares about scoring and potential. In this case, he has one of these pretty well set with scoring. So the fact the execs are FORCED to go off game tape, what’s not to like in the nba game from his tape ... lets not overthink this people...

I was told that the lack of combine is going to help him from SU themselves. He would probably test out fine, but without it, you’re forced to go strictly off gametape and in person games that execs saw.To be completely honest, the NBA combine is not nearly as important as NFL. NBA cares about scoring and potential. In this case, he has one of these pretty well set with scoring. So the fact the execs are FORCED to go off game tape, what’s not to like in the nba game from his tape ... lets not overthink this people...
Totally agree. Not sure what those people who say he could benefit from coming back a year are thinking.

IMO he is as ready as any ACC player I saw this year for the NBA

That's a great point. With no combine the talent evaluators have one less source of data to reference. When drafting on "potential" measurables become a much more relevant data source - size of hands, measured height, speed, lateral quickness. Without that data source evidence of performance is likely to be a much more highly weighted criteria. For Elijah, this should be nothing but a plus.

I guess the only negative would be the lack of face-to-face interviews where I would expect his maturity to really shine. I'm sure there will be virtual interviews, but nothing beats being able to look into a subject's eyes and watch his mind work while he responds.

for all the questions of staying or going, just the guys going in the last few days have all jumped him as far as getting drafted. He is borderline 2nd rnd in most cases. He is already a 4th yr kid so behind the curve for most and another yr isnt gonna change that.. Its really what life style does he want to live.. G-league with some small amount of money/Euro or live the SR life at school . Shoot he could transfer to another school for that matter

No combine to impress teams or in person workouts for teams hurt all these kids. No virus he's 99.9 pct gone and this might be shocking coming from me but he should leave. He might be forced to come back.

He could play into the 1st rd by staying or he could just be another marginal 2nd rd guy next yr too.

If he stays and takes it up another notch then staying pays off.. anything else happens he should probably go now.

If there’s even another season? But he deserves to be rewarded for his play. He’s been awesome and I’m sure the NBA has been his dream since he started dribbling. The bb of course.

Unfortunately he needs to go

If he goes there will be trouble.
If he stays there will be double

The decision is made

It is my personal opinion more then fact. I could very well be wrong as the other poster commented. I would say that a fringe 2nd round guy would benefit more then it would hurt to have more exposure and ability to speak with evaluators in person. Even if he doesn’t catch on with a team maybe somebody picks him up after meeting him for g league. Does a G league even happen though.

Also he showed an ability to bring the ball up the floor at times and we play zone...could give him the chance to play defense.

Nobody really has any idea what is going to happen as it is all new stuff...to me it would be safer to stay in cuse given the option but obviously I’m not him.

It is my personal opinion more then fact. I could very well be wrong as the other poster commented. I would say that a fringe 2nd round guy would benefit more then it would hurt to have more exposure and ability to speak with evaluators in person. Even if he doesn’t catch on with a team maybe somebody picks him up after meeting him for g league. Does a G league even happen though.

Also he showed an ability to bring the ball up the floor at times and we play zone...could give him the chance to play defense.

Nobody really has any idea what is going to happen as it is all new stuff...to me it would be safer to stay in cuse given the option but obviously I’m not him.
Elijah is v well spoken. Technology these days will be sufficient. Hes not going into a hole for 3 months.

i guess if hes some lock down defender that we dont know about then i suppose he could be missinghis chance to display that.

otherwise, your points seem rather weak and you even struggle to articulate why you think it would be “safer.” I have a feeling these guys will be working out at some point before the draft. You could do it virtually.

Elijah is v well spoken. Technology these days will be sufficient. Hes not going into a hole for 3 months.

i guess if hes some lock down defender that we dont know about then i suppose he could be missinghis chance to display that.

otherwise, your points seem rather weak and you even struggle to articulate why you think it would be “safer.” I have a feeling these guys will be working out at some point before the draft. You could do it virtually.
Agree to disagree then

and wallace lives on foreever because of coming back. didnt change his pro career one bit probably
Probably lost money, by missing a year. He seems okay with it though.

only if you think his career last 1 more yr leaving early and thats a complete unknown.. But there is some value in that magical ride that is probably as priceless..

He could play into the 1st rd by staying or he could just be another marginal 2nd rd guy next yr too.
If he stays and takes it up another notch then staying pays off.. anything else happens he should probably go now.

By and large, I agree with the sentiment that Hughes' best interest is to enter the NBA draft now. But I have two thoughts on the other side of it that I can't quite shake:

-- Hughes had a solid first year with SU, then made a jump in Year 2. He developed better ball-handling and passing skills. He learned to drive and score. He went from being 3rd scoring option on his own team to ACC player of the year candidate. Saying "he has nothing left to prove" implies he's not going to make another incremental improvement in Year 3. Right now, he's widely regarded as a second-round pick. If he goes back to school and becomes a next-level rebounder or defender, he's a lock first-rounder.

-- My understanding is that the last pick in Round 1 receives just short of 1.1m guaranteed for 2 years. Second-rounders are guaranteed nothing. They can receive a minimum salary of $560,000 or more, assuming they make a team. G-league is way less. If Hughes waits on the the NBA he loses the one year at $560k+. But doesn't he surpass that by solidifying a $2m guarantee, if he waits and goes Round 1? Betting on himself as an eventual first-rounder can work to his advantage.

being a 5th yr is the thing. maybe he is tired of school. maybe he doesnt want grad school. maybe going overseas is a better fit for him too.

only if you think his career last 1 more yr leaving early and thats a complete unknown.. But there is some value in that magical ride that is probably as priceless..

After Boeheim has "the talk" with an SU player who is considering going pro early -- no matter if he thinks the kid should leave or not -- he should give out John Wallace's phone number to every one of them and advise them to seek his perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom