hughes staying or going | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

hughes staying or going

Yes, it’s no contest.

when’s the last time you saw a grinded out defensive NBA battle? One game a week? 20 teams this season so far average 110 or more a game... better athletes yes, better defense, no chance.

when’s the last time you saw a grinded out defensive NBA battle? One game a week? 20 teams this season so far average 110 or more a game... better athletes yes, better defense, no chance.
That’s simply a result of how good NBA players are. Our entire defensive philosophy is built around the fact that college teams as a whole can’t shoot. That doesn’t really exist in the NBA unless you’re the Knicks.

To answer your question, granted I’m a fan of probably the best team in the league, but the Bucks defense looks like a completely different sport than college basketball because of how good they are.

If you have talent and skill good offense will beat good defense all day long.

The NBA is not like the 1980s when you had stiffs filling out rosters.

NBA teams are loaded with skill, talent, shooting.
You can say you hate how the NBA has become a 3 point shooting, and driving the ball league. There is little post game and midrange game.

College basketball is garbage compared to the NBA.
In the NBA teams will keep hammering advantages time after time till the matchup is subbed out.

In college basketball teams don’t hammer the same play time after time if they have the advantage.

College basketball doesn’t have the talent it used to have. As players are realizing their worth.

The NBA game is 48 minutes long scoring is obviously going to be higher than college basketball.
Shooting is miles better.

The only thing college basketball has over the NBA is the intensity of the crowd at games.
College games have more energy in the crowd.

Stay mainly because it is the most certain outcome. Who knows about the state of Europe after all this virus stuff and if no NBA eval...why would you not stay and have a certain outcome.

It was reported that tyus dad said it was a mistake for him to leave and that is without the virus.

If he stayed, and we only played 7 guys again next year, what kind of team do you think we'd have?
Would our top of the zone defense be any better? Maybe 10%?

Would any of our centers other than Sidibe be able to help at all? Would they even get the chance?

Would Braswell, or Richmond, or Woody see even 5 minutes a game if Eli is here, too?

What would be better next year if Boeheim coaches exactly the same?

We'll just have 3 or 4 more transfers next year, too.

what is another year of college gonna do? Honestly? He led the acc in scoring. He has nothing left to show. This draft is weakest in ages. There is zero benefit to him staying. Even if he averaged 26 a game it’s not gonna do anything... Hughes is such a better prospect than Battle and it’s not even close

It's not like we're a Final Four candidate if he comes back. Literally, he has nothing more to prove, and he already has five years in college. He should have a Masters by now.

not five

Sorry, you're right. It's four. He could still have his masters if Tyus (and others) can get so close to their bachelor's degree in 3 years, thanks to summer sessions.

Sorry, you're right. It's four. He could still have his masters if Tyus (and others) can get so close to their bachelor's degree in 3 years, thanks to summer sessions.

Do you have any idea how rare it is for revenue sport student-athletes to graduate (or be close to it) in 3 years? :rolleyes:

Well, let’s see: There’s Rak, there’s Tyus, and...
That’s pretty much the list for Syracuse hoops.

The reason they take summer sessions is two-fold:
  • An ‘excuse’ to be on campus all summer, so they have full access to all of the facilities, and their teammates
  • So they can take the minimum course load during the academic year, since they have such large demands on their time due to their sport.

other than the fact he never is in the right position to box out on D, he takes bad shots all the time when managing the clock. etc..

I think he has the best offensive game we have had in yrs because he does actually get by people and can make that fade away shot. Thats not BBall IQ..

we lost 2-3 games this yr because he fell asleep on rebound plays at key times of the game

Do you have any idea how rare it is for revenue sport student-athletes to graduate (or be close to it) in 3 years? :rolleyes:

Well, let’s see: There’s Rak, there’s Tyus, and...
That’s pretty much the list for Syracuse hoops.

The reason they take summer sessions is two-fold:
  • An ‘excuse’ to be on campus all summer, so they have full access to all of the facilities, and their teammates
  • So they can take the minimum course load during the academic year, since they have such large demands on their time due to their sport.
Just thought of something. Did the Italy trip make it impossible for the players to get the second summer session in last year?

other than the fact he never is in the right position to box out on D, he takes bad shots all the time when managing the clock. etc..

I think he has the best offensive game we have had in yrs because he does actually get by people and can make that fade away shot. Thats not BBall IQ..

we lost 2-3 games this yr because he fell asleep on rebound plays at key times of the game
His positioning and rebounding was not ideal. I'll give you that.

He was partially effective when coming over for a secondary block, but if he didn't get the ball, and the shooter missed, it left open his side way too often.

I still think his IQ was high, but he often realized the other guys didn't have it, so he tried to shoulder the load too much at times. Much like Battle the previous year.

His positioning and rebounding was not ideal. I'll give you that.

He was partially effective when coming over for a secondary block, but if he didn't get the ball, and the shooter missed, it left open his side way too often.

I still think his IQ was high, but he often realized the other guys didn't have it, so he tried to shoulder the load too much at times. Much like Battle the previous year.
He is typical of most seniors during Boeheim. They have free reign on offense and fall asleep on defense OFTEN. At times, he was great on defense and rebounding, but during several instances he’s nowhere to be found. I’ve seen this over and over again. It’s just the way it is. I watched the Rutgers/SU game yesterday and Warrick had several ”just put a hand up“ within ten feet and call it a day on defense. Unfortunately, Girard and Buddy are already getting this treatment. It’s so frustrating when your upper class man should be the lockdown defenders, but they are allowed to coast at times. It’s part of the playing the 40 minutes game.

If he stayed, and we only played 7 guys again next year, what kind of team do you think we'd have?
Would our top of the zone defense be any better? Maybe 10%?

Would any of our centers other than Sidibe be able to help at all? Would they even get the chance?

Would Braswell, or Richmond, or Woody see even 5 minutes a game if Eli is here, too?

What would be better next year if Boeheim coaches exactly the same?

We'll just have 3 or 4 more transfers next year, too.
Had nothing to do with the team performance. Had to do with uncertainty over getting proper eval and slotting for draft. Also, if he doesn’t get drafted...I’m sure you are aware but Europe is a mess right now as well. Idk how much I would want to go there if I was 22 yrs old. I thought moving to NYC was tough without a pandemic. If he had stayed he leads ACC in scoring again most likely and wouldn’t be drafted any worse then where he would have gone this year before all this stuff happened. Probably doesn’t matter.

I would prefer to hang out in college another year then go into this job market given no games and no direction from NBA/Europe.

Tell me no one here thinks there’s a chance he stays

Had nothing to do with the team performance. Had to do with uncertainty over getting proper eval and slotting for draft. Also, if he doesn’t get drafted...I’m sure you are aware but Europe is a mess right now as well. Idk how much I would want to go there if I was 22 yrs old. I thought moving to NYC was tough without a pandemic. If he had stayed he leads ACC in scoring again most likely and wouldn’t be drafted any worse then where he would have gone this year before all this stuff happened. Probably doesn’t matter.

I would prefer to hang out in college another year then go into this job market given no games and no direction from NBA/Europe.

I bolded the flaw in your line of thinking. And, if hes likelt in the same spot next year, thats all the more reason he should still go.

Tell me no one here thinks there’s a chance he stays
I said before if there is no corona virus he's 99.9 pct gone. I think there is a slight chance he comes back.

I said before if there is no corona virus he's 99.9 pct gone. I think there is a slight chance he comes back.
At 22 i dont know if he benefits even slightly from a further year

So how does he benefit by staying another year?

He doesn't. He becomes a dinosaur in the draft at that age if he stays.

I remember when Wallace stayed (thank god). His draft position after his junior year was thought to be mid to late first rounder. He stayed, vastly improved his outside shot, led his team to the final game, and...was... drafted 18th.

Best bet on staying is guessing on the pool of players in the following draft, but that seems like a complete crap shoot.

and wallace lives on foreever because of coming back. didnt change his pro career one bit probably

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom