Hughes | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
I know his .364 three point shooting has been the topic most discussed but what has pleasantly surprised me has been his anticipation, correct rotation, toughness in battling for defensive rebounds as an undersized forward. His 4.9 rebound average has been boosted by being our leading rebounder the last 2 conference games with 10 and 7. This unsung facet to his game has really helped our improvement.

I know his .364 three point shooting has been the topic most discussed but what has pleasantly surprised me has been his anticipation, correct rotation, toughness in battling for defensive rebounds as an undersized forward. His 4.9 rebound average has been boosted by being our leading rebounder the last 2 conference games with 10 and 7. This unsung facet to his game has really helped our improvement.

agreed and Hughes is still learning how to play at this level. He's only a rookie as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah hes good defensively. Having him on the court with Battle and Brissett makes us a pretty physically imposing team. Frankie is big for a 1 as well.

I was disappointed by his rebounding early but he has showed a lot more more toughness and willingness to fight down low recently.

What was up with his sneakers? One came off shooting a jumper. He slipped and fell with no one touching him a number of times. Were they too big? I hope he never wears that pair again.

His defense and work in the zone has really picked up. Very solid understanding now of where to rotate. Overall an excellent player and fits perfectly with Cuse. Great job by the coaches in seeing his potential and bringing him in. Great job by Hughes working hard last season.

Cuse!

He's rebounding very well and defending about as well as I'd hope for an out-of-position guard who's never played at SU before.

Love his outside shooting. Not sold on his basketball IQ based on early returns, though. Lot of tunnel vision in rare transition opportunities, missing the easy pass. At least he seems to be a strong finisher so far.

What was up with his sneakers? One came off shooting a jumper. He slipped and fell with no one touching him a number of times. Were they too big? I hope he never wears that pair again.

Didn’t Battle wear those yellow type shoes in some games? Did they switch shoes - :)

He's rebounding very well and defending about as well as I'd hope for an out-of-position guard who's never played at SU before.

Love his outside shooting. Not sold on his basketball IQ based on early returns, though. Lot of tunnel vision in rare transition opportunities, missing the easy pass. At least he seems to be a strong finisher so far.
I agree looks like he has a nice shooting stroke. But hoping some other areas improve.

Hoping he will show improvement as the year goes on with the Bball IQ. I thought he struggled in implementing JB's semi-stall with about 5 minutes left and the 10 point lead. His handle looked a little shaky and he turned it over doing what should have been pointless drives and kicks with 20+ seconds still left on the shot clock.

I was disappointed by his rebounding early but he has showed a lot more more toughness and willingness to fight down low recently.

If he performs like he did last night he can wear those shoes every game. Just wear an extra pair of socks to keep them on his feet.

Didn’t Battle wear those yellow type shoes in some games? Did they switch shoes - :)
I think so, because I kept confusing Hughes for Battle most of the game.

EH's willingness to start asserting himself more on the defensive boards is one of the keys to this team taking the next step. I think he can be a good to great rebounder with a little more focus to this part of his game. No one on this team gets off the floor like he can.

And I wish we would look for more transfers year in and year out. Him spending a full year being groomed is so beneficial

I can't figure out what brand they are but the shoe is grey and blue with orange laces and a yellow sole. Has to be some kind of Nike right ?

Last edited:
I love this game and will admit I didn't know what to think when we got him. I knew he had been hurt but was holding my breath he could shoot. He has far exceeded my expectations for what he could do for us this year. He has really improved the rebounding as the season has progressed. To be honest I would have been all for him playing big minutes anyway even if he was a rebounding liability because of how much value he has on offense.

I can't figure out what brand they are but the shoe is grey and blue with orange laces and a yellow sole. Has to be some kind of Nike right ?
I think so. Don't remember him wearing them in earlier home games.

Can someone tell me what the staff saw in him to want him as a transfer?

Scoring under 8ppg at a mid-major isn't exactly lighting it up. What made us go after him?

Note that I'm VERY glad that we did, I'd just be curious to hear from someone (either in the know at Syracuse and/or with better scouting abilities than me) that can saw how/why we got such a great find.

Can someone tell me what the staff saw in him to want him as a transfer?

Scoring under 8ppg at a mid-major isn't exactly lighting it up. What made us go after him?

Note that I'm VERY glad that we did, I'd just be curious to hear from someone (either in the know at Syracuse and/or with better scouting abilities than me) that can saw how/why we got such a great find.

We saw him at Boeheims elite camp here in Syracuse. Not sure what happened after that camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom