Hunter on Virginia | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter on Virginia

Give us a line-up of Tyler Lydon, Paschal Chukwu, OShae Brissett, Frank Howard and Tyus Battle and we are fine, probably a top ten team. Insert Taurean Thompson for Lydon at we are at least a lot better and easily in the Big Dance. We've been recruiting good players. the problem is we don't keep them.

And when everyone on the team seems to be hurt, I think we can cut the coaching staff some slack.

A tournament team but I don’t know about that fine, IMO. I think some backcourts could shut down Frank/Tyus and you would still need an improved Paschal to do much inside. Also, that team isn’t very quick. Length sure but I think we would labor up and down with Tyus being the only one to really get downhill. Still a big problem with this year’s team...the lack of overall quickness.

Last edited:
Roberson had one good year. His junior year. Every other year he was pretty meh offensively and fwiw Moyer's per 40 minute rebounding numbers are comparable to Roberson's.

The advanced stats for Moyer this year are better than Roberson's every year except Junior year. He's also shooting above 60 percent. For someone who could only make dunks Roberson had 1 year he shot above 60% and that was his Senior year.

People say "advanced stats" a lot and I never know what they're talking about! I need to just insert that into every argument I make moving forward. :)

If I use Basketball Reference and look under 'Advanced Stats,' his win shares and all that nonsense are clearly worse than Roberson's Sophomore year for example.

The OWS, the DWS, the WS, his BPMs, etc...the other stats that make no sense to me - pretty much all worse across the board. His per 40 minutes stats seem worse too other than FG percentage...what're we talking about? What' an advanced statistic? Is there one super one that is the deciding factor? I find that term so confusing! lolol

A tournament team but I don’t know about that fine, IMO. I think some backcourts could shut down Frank/Tyus and you would still need an improved Paschal to do much inside. Also, that team isn’t very quick. Length sure but I think we would labor up and down with Tyus being the only one to really get downhill. Still a big problem with this year’s team...the lack of overall quickness.

We'd have 4 scorers, not three. Lydon could score inside or out. he could also give us even more rebounding and shot blocking. It would get us a heck of a team.

Once again, with feeling - WE CAN'T SIGN THEM ALL.

Hunter is a very nice player, but we got OSB instead.

Even after yesterday's debacle, OSB's season stat line is:
14.5, 8.8, 34% from 3, 80% from the FT line. (yes, his 2pt % blows)

Hunter's season averages:
9.1, 3.5, 35% from 3, 79% from the FT line - and 50% from 2.

You still wish we had Hunter?

Nobody is saying they wish they had Hunter over OSB. Great strawman you got there.

Did not mean for this thread to turn into a “we should have taken him over so and so” . I just thought it was very interesting he made this public to the announcers before the Pitt game

There was actually a pretty lengthy discussion about it after the UVA game, he talked about wanting to come here after the game. Despite the usual chorus of "we can't recruit them all" there was actually some good posts in the discussion. Namely that Hunter was injured during HS and that seriously hurt his stock.

IMO, players like Hunter are where the scholarship losses have absolutely killed us. We're going to get our couple of blue chips every year, you just lose out on taking chances on guys like Hunter.

We seem to be dialed in on the guys that aren't good enough to win you a title (and very few are) but good enough to leave after a year.

Give us a line-up of Tyler Lydon, Paschal Chukwu, OShae Brissett, Frank Howard and Tyus Battle and we are fine, probably a top ten team. Insert Taurean Thompson for Lydon at we are at least a lot better and easily in the Big Dance. We've been recruiting good players. the problem is we don't keep them.

And when everyone on the team seems to be hurt, I think we can cut the coaching staff some slack.
Lydon is at least 2x the player that Thompson is.

Agreed but TT would have been an upgrade over Dolezaj/Moyer.

No doubt. If TT were was here this season, the two aforementioned barely get on the floor for the most part, other than garbage time.

i believe roberson was top 10 in conference rebounds every year he played and owns a couple cuse records.
his 722 rebounds in syracuse ACC play is #1 and 202 higher than #2 lydon and 271 above #3 raxmas.

Both Rakeem and Lydon only played 2 years in the ACC vs Roberson’s 4 ACC years.

Rakeem didn’t play in the ACC till his junior year 2013-2014. So you can’t compare their career ACC rebounding statistics.

Lydon was #16 his freshman year in ACC rebounding and #5 his sophomore and last year here. TRob ‘s best year was his junior year at #9 and wasn’t in the top 25 his frosh nor senior years. Interesting enough only this year’s team has ever been a top 5 in ACC conference rebounding.

tyler roberson is listed as 86th in ACC total rebounds and #8 in offensive boards . he is listed as #2 in single season o-boards . tyler lydon is listed as 19th all-time for minutes per game average (36+) roberson averaged just under 24. that explains quite a bit.

not bad really when you think of all the great talent that ran thru the ACC . and certainly nothing to laugh at.

Last edited:
I heard that Jimmer Fredette is from Upstate New York. Did we offer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom