Hunter on Virginia | Syracusefan.com

Hunter on Virginia

I swore Moyer was top 60 recruit. I know I read that somewhere here.

Told the broadcasters today he was a big SU fan growing up and was pissed Boeheim never offered . Sigh

Once again, with feeling - WE CAN'T SIGN THEM ALL.

Hunter is a very nice player, but we got OSB instead.

Even after yesterday's debacle, OSB's season stat line is:
14.5, 8.8, 34% from 3, 80% from the FT line. (yes, his 2pt % blows)

Hunter's season averages:
9.1, 3.5, 35% from 3, 79% from the FT line - and 50% from 2.

You still wish we had Hunter?

The kid was barely s top 100 recruit. I’m not a fan of the all after Green approach but I was more annoyed about a Matt Coleman
Was Syracuse involved with Matt Coleman? Even though he was local, and his mother was a UVa alum, I think the consensus of opinion here was that he was always Shaka Smart's to lose. Their relationship went back for years. I thought his only official visits were to Duke, Stanford, and Texas (he was already very familiar with Virginia). Additionally, Hunter was injured in high school. I think he missed much of his sophomore year and did not participate in the summer following that year. In many respects, he was a bit under the radar. Also, he added nearly 30 lbs in the weight room during his redshirt year. Hindsight in his case would be considerably better than 20/20.

Last edited:
Mookie Jones was a VERY highly rated recruit.

Just goes to show - sometimes, nobody knows nothing. :p

Hunter is in the class before OB. He’s a redshirt like Moyer. He’s a versatile PF type who would fill a big void at that position here. You would at least have to guard him. Him and Brissett together out there would be nasty.

Once again, with feeling - WE CAN'T SIGN THEM ALL.

Hunter is a very nice player, but we got OSB instead.

Even after yesterday's debacle, OSB's season stat line is:
14.5, 8.8, 34% from 3, 80% from the FT line. (yes, his 2pt % blows)

Hunter's season averages:
9.1, 3.5, 35% from 3, 79% from the FT line - and 50% from 2.

You still wish we had Hunter?

Considering hes killed us twice already and will most likely do it again in the future ...yea, I do wish we had em. Philly kid to boot. The stats for Hunter dont tell the story as he plays a lot less than Oshae and Virginia’s system plays a part. Just look at Acc coaches comments about Hunter after games and nba scouts. Hes going to be a star

Hunter is in the class before OB. He’s a redshirt like Moyer. He’s a versatile PF type who would fill a big void at that position here. You would at least have to guard him.

OK then, we already had Moyer. Who stuck with us thru the sanctions.
We should have then kicked him to the curb, to try to sign Hunter?

You can't sign them all. And sometimes, recruiting is a total crapshoot.

I know you can’t sign them all. You take Hunter over Moyer of course.

I get what your saying and agree but it just sucks that a kid from Philly begging for a cuse offer cant even get a sniff. He said himself he holds a grudge

Hunter is in the class before OB. He’s a redshirt like Moyer. He’s a versatile PF type who would fill a big void at that position here. You would at least have to guard him. Him and Brissett together out there would be nasty.

So will Bazley and Brissett. Do we get Bazley if we had Hunter?

Probably not but one can dream. It just looks bad since he is, like others mentioned, a Philly kid (Friends Central) and went public about it and Moyer looks like he doesn’t really belong out there. Bazely isn’t worried about anybody, IMO. I want to be like those UNC teams recently throwing waves of big guys and forwards at you.

Last edited:
Other teams seem to be able to have good players come back and good players coming in. We should be able to do the same. Hell, Duke has the three top recruits at the same position... so I think we should be able to get a Bazley while having Hunter/Brissett.

mookie jones shot 40% deep despite limited action (45% rs year) . and eventually graduated.

"This is one of the great success stories of our program," SU coach Jim Boeheim said. "Obviously, the kid messed up to some degree. But he was treated very harshly by the system, he got a very tough punishment. And to be able to come back and get back into school is hard to do. To keep going is hard to do. He's overcome a lot. To finish his degree is a great story."

article link below :

Mookie Jones: Basketball player's path to Syracuse degree includes suspension, eviction, food stamps

I know you can’t sign them all. You take Hunter over Moyer of course.
Again, maybe you can say that now, but in the summer of 2014 or the spring of 2015, I can't imagine how most folks on this board would have felt about that. (Moyer and Hunter are in the same class, if I am not mistaken.) At that point, Hunter was not a Top 100 recruit on any readily available lists. He was a 6'7", 190 lb guard prospect. His status didn't become elevated until the summer of 2015. At that point, was Syracuse targeting anyone new? Especially at positions they felt they had secured? And, I have something else for you to consider. How do you feel about Frankie Badocchi? He's redshirting this year after undergoing surgery last fall (knee cap, I think). Bennett has recently described him as a 'hidden gem'. Bennett is not given to making such statements, and no one will know how accurate this might be for a while. We probably won't know for aother year or two. But would you have wanted Syracuse to take a chance on him last summer?

Last edited:
This thread is probably more about the fact we got Moyer, who was Top 60, and plays like an unranked prospect than it is about missing on Hunter, which in itself isn't a big deal given his under the radar ranking...but add that to the growing list of misses these past few years and it's starting to wear thin.

He was a very dynamic HS player. Put up outstanding numbers in one of the best prep leagues in the nation... The NEPSAC. Was an outstanding rebounder and tremendous at attacking the basket, especially in transition. His handle was decent for a forward and he showed good passing ability. Needed to improve his jumper.
Unfortunately, that last part makes you unplayable as a Forward in post 2010 D-1 ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom