Hunter on Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter on Virginia

we've seen flashes of the first skills. and plenty of players here have improved their jumpshot numbers.
I guess, but I miss the days of James Southerland at the 4. Not this Roberson followed by Moyer/Dolezaj shenanigans.

Hopefully Bazley/Brissett bring back the days of Fair/South, where we had 2 forwards that can actually play offense.

Regarding Mookie. Most kids grow up and mature at about the same rate but some take years longer to grow up and mature. Few things are more heartwarming then seeing these kids finally turn the corner.

I guess, but I miss the days of James Southerland at the 4. Not this Roberson followed by Moyer/Dolezaj shenanigans.

Hopefully Bazley/Brissett bring back the days of Fair/South, where we had 2 forwards that can actually play offense.

To be fair(no pun intended) Southerland and Fair didn’t have to play this much as freshman as they had the Wes Johnson’s, Kris Joseph’s, and Rick Jackson’s of the world ahead of them in the rotation. They would’ve struggled to playing 20-30 minutes a night.

These guys are playing early and we want to put them to pasture.

He was 74 in the final RSCI update, Moyer was 60, fwiw.

At one point Jerry Meyer had Moyer in his top 30. I still think the kid can be a good player. He just needs to improve his jumper. Right now he’s basically Roberson.

At one point Jerry Meyer had Moyer in his top 30. I still think the kid can be a good player. He just needs to improve his jumper. Right now he’s basically Roberson.
I remember when Meyer made that statement. Think that’s what really got us all thinking much too highly of what kind of player Matt is. I agree that I think when his career is over, that he will be a very solid college player. I’d say other than overall athletic ability he is a better player than Robey. Roberson was by far the most frustrating player that I’ve ever seen. He really should have been one of the best, if not best, rebounders in the country. He showed it at times, was just sooo inconsistent.

i believe roberson was top 10 in conference rebounds every year he played and owns a couple cuse records.
his 722 rebounds in syracuse ACC play is #1 and 202 higher than #2 lydon and 271 above #3 raxmas.

Last edited:
I remember when Meyer made that statement. Think that’s what really got us all thinking much too highly of what kind of player Matt is. I agree that I think when his career is over, that he will be a very solid college player. I’d say other than overall athletic ability he is a better player than Robey. Roberson was by far the most frustrating player that I’ve ever seen. He really should have been one of the best, if not best, rebounders in the country. He showed it at times, was just sooo inconsistent.

Moyer’s still a long way from reaching average-good Roberson level play. That’s how dire the situation is. Moyer has potential to be a better offensive player but we’ll see. For sure Robey was frustrating, though. From the get go Robey had MUCH better defensive awareness though, IMO.

Last edited:
Again, maybe you can say that now, but in the summer of 2014 or the spring of 2015, I can't imagine how most folks on this board would have felt about that. (Moyer and Hunter are in the same class, if I am not mistaken.) At that point, Hunter was not a Top 100 recruit on any readily available lists. He was a 6'7", 190 lb guard prospect. His status didn't become elevated until the summer of 2015. At that point, was Syracuse targeting anyone new? Especially at positions they felt they had secured? And, I have something else for you to consider. How do you feel about Frankie Badocchi? He's redshirting this year after undergoing surgery last fall (knee cap, I think). Bennett has recently described him as a 'hidden gem'. Bennett is not given to making such statements, and no one will know how accurate this might be for a while. We probably won't know for aother year or two. But would you have wanted Syracuse to take a chance on him last summer?

Nah...this dude instead. ;)

I find it weird people think he's Roberson - Roberson seemed like he could impact a game in other ways. Moyer is just sort of spazzy with some mildly intriguing flashes every few weeks. Roberson had flashes at least once a game. haha Again, I think long term the kid becomes an important piece, but even going back and watching his HS mix tapes, Kaleb Joseph's were more impressive (not as a one to one comparison...obviously different positions). Roberson's were WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more impressive. I'm still a tad unclear how we never got more out of that skill set. :(

I'm not seeing much outside of a program guy - and I'm not sure we were well-positioned to be going after that with the roster make-up and the restrictions. Again, I do think he'll continue to improve and we'll all be saying in year 4 that this is what we need more of...guys that stay 5 years, provide some continuity, depth, and leadership...just short-term he's a head-scratcher for me.

I also think Battle is a bit better than people give him credit for...so my talent evals may be off. :)

Last edited:
Told the broadcasters today he was a big SU fan growing up and was pissed Boeheim never offered . Sigh

Guys, there 12 scholarships in college basketball. And for a couple years, we've been handcuffed with less than that.

So, yes, there will be situations where a 17-year old Top 150 kid doesn't get offered by us and be blooms. Hardly an issue to dwell on.

Probably not but one can dream. It just looks bad since he is, like others mentioned, a Philly kid (Friends Central) and went public about it and Moyer looks like he doesn’t really belong out there. Bazely isn’t worried about anybody, IMO. I want to be like those UNC teams recently throwing waves of big guys and forwards at you.

If you are looking at Moyer as a savior, yes, but if you look at him as a 4 year guy then maybe opinions change. He has contributed some and may be a nice player over the next 3 years. Not all frosh kill it their first year. Look how far Frank has come over the last year- many doubted whether he belonged.

If you are looking at Moyer as a savior, yes, but if you look at him as a 4 year guy then maybe opinions change. He has contributed some and may be a nice player over the next 3 years. Not all frosh kill it their first year. Look how far Frank has come over the last year- many doubted whether he belonged.

That's kind of how I look at him. Yes I thought he would be further along this year. But we've had plenty of players over the years who didn't develop until they were upperclassmen and then had some solid seasons and every program needs those players also.

Moyer needs to improve his jumper but it sometimes looks like he's playing in quicksand. Foot speed might be an issue, as it does look like he's gotten into better shape. Just looks bogged down at times (and I'm aware the ankle might still be an issue). Way too much east-west dribbling. He's like a running back who doesn't play downhill. Maybe that stuff can improve but he just looks a step slow at this point.

I know you can’t sign them all. You take Hunter over Moyer of course.

That exercise is pointless. With the benefit of hindsight you could probably point out guys you could have had that you would take over every single guy we've ever had come through the program with the exception of Melo and DC maybe.

I mean there is always someone somewhere that didn't draw attention in high school that goes on to have a great college career.

Judging talent is a hugely imprecise exercise. Look at how bad all of the professional franchises in every sport are at it. Now make them all go look at ten times the number of prospects at a younger age and see how well they do in determining who is ultimately going to develop into a player.

That exercise is pointless. With the benefit of hindsight you could probably point out guys you could have had that you would take over every single guy we've ever had come through the program with the exception of Melo and DC maybe.

I mean there is always someone somewhere that didn't draw attention in high school that goes on to have a great college career.

Judging talent is a hugely imprecise exercise. Look at how bad all of the professional franchises in every sport are at it. Now make them all go look at ten times the number of prospects at a younger age and see how well they do in determining who is ultimately going to develop into a player.

Of course hindsight is being applied. Not fair perhaps, I know. As I said before it is just frustrating to hear him go public with it and especially considering we are getting nothing from Moyer/other forward spot. He’s an interchangeable forward with a lot of skill.

Last edited:
also keep in mind that when JB complains about current players having no real game experience that it often is a direct result of his refusal to pull starters and give real game experience to his bench.

The NCAA roster limit is 13, (and we were down to 10-11). If all the guys who wanted to come here were on it, the limit would have be 50. Kid has made a nice career for himself. Good for him.

And yet we've scrambled to fill the roster with grad transfers and unheralded freshman after the previous season ended. That's why I think how we've recruited over the past 3 or so years can be questioned and criticized. Yes, Hunter may not have been a higher priority than Moyer or Thompson in his class, so there is that aspect. But there is no doubt that roster building has been a crucial issue, one that has derailed this program the past handful of years. Not showing much (any?) interest in a Philly kid from Hakim's HS that wanted us is strange, but sounds like something that makes sense from this stretch.

I find it weird people think he's Roberson - Roberson seemed like he could impact a game in other ways. Moyer is just sort of spazzy with some mildly intriguing flashes every few weeks. Roberson had flashes at least once a game. haha Again, I think long term the kid becomes an important piece, but even going back and watching his HS mix tapes, Kaleb Joseph's were more impressive (not as a one to one comparison...obviously different positions). Roberson's were WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more impressive. I'm still a tad unclear how we never got more out of that skill set. :(

I'm not seeing much outside of a program guy - and I'm not sure we were well-positioned to be going after that with the roster make-up and the restrictions. Again, I do think he'll continue to improve and we'll all be saying in year 4 that this is what we need more of...guys that stay 5 years, provide some continuity, depth, and leadership...just short-term he's a head-scratcher for me.

I also think Battle is a bit better than people give him credit for...so my talent evals may be off. :)

Roberson had one good year. His junior year. Every other year he was pretty meh offensively and fwiw Moyer's per 40 minute rebounding numbers are comparable to Roberson's.

The advanced stats for Moyer this year are better than Roberson's every year except Junior year. He's also shooting above 60 percent. For someone who could only make dunks Roberson had 1 year he shot above 60% and that was his Senior year.

Roberson had one good year. His junior year. Every other year he was pretty meh offensively and fwiw Moyer's per 40 minute rebounding numbers are comparable to Roberson's.

The advanced stats for Moyer this year are better than Roberson's every year except Junior year. He's also shooting above 60 percent. For someone who could only make dunks Roberson had 1 year he shot above 60% and that was his Senior year.

So I decided to take a deeper look at Moyer on Ken Pom, because it's monday morning and thats what you do.

Anyway, here's something that stood out to me. His 5 most similar players are Akil Mitchell (2012), Dartaye Ruffin (12), Bishop Wheatley (08), Kenneth Lowe (15), Jubril Adekoya (15).

The first thing that stood out; Akil mitchell is the only one of these 5 I've ever heard of. The second; 3 of those 5 are listed as centers, one as PF, another as SF. Somewhat interesting, since I would consider Moyer a 3 or 4, def not a 5.

And yet we've scrambled to fill the roster with grad transfers and unheralded freshman after the previous season ended. That's why I think how we've recruited over the past 3 or so years can be questioned and criticized. Yes, Hunter may not have been a higher priority than Moyer or Thompson in his class, so there is that aspect. But there is no doubt that roster building has been a crucial issue, one that has derailed this program the past handful of years. Not showing much (any?) interest in a Philly kid from Hakim's HS that wanted us is strange, but sounds like something that makes sense from this stretch.

Give us a line-up of Tyler Lydon, Paschal Chukwu, OShae Brissett, Frank Howard and Tyus Battle and we are fine, probably a top ten team. Insert Taurean Thompson for Lydon at we are at least a lot better and easily in the Big Dance. We've been recruiting good players. the problem is we don't keep them.

And when everyone on the team seems to be hurt, I think we can cut the coaching staff some slack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom