Hurley is a joke. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hurley is a joke.

We at least had to respect Calhoun as a coach. Hurley is a bigger jerk and he hasn’t proven anything as a coach. There’s nothing to respect.

I might have missed something but why is Hurley a jerk?

This isn’t 1985.

“regional rivalries” mean what exactly? What has StJohns, Seton Hall and Providence done? The Dome will have just as many people for those games than they do for NC State, VaTech, etc. I get it’s better than the AAC; and Nova has been tremendous. But the Big East is largely a better basketball conference than the AAC (not including Nova) because of the mid-western, Non-traditional BE schools - Xavier, Marquette, Creighton. But yeah... there’s no conversation between that crew and Duke, UNC, UVA, Louisville, FSU, etc.

Football money + much better basketball = easy choice. I could give a F about playing freaking Seton Hall.

We’ve had some tremendous games against Duke over the years; UVA too. And Id rather play NC State than St Johns I mean it’s not even close

Last edited:
Ever watch him on the sidelines? Better yet watch his reaction after the last time we played them in MSG. Literally took time to talk trash to SU fans in the crowd like he was a fan himself.
His kids are definitely into it; if he can win consistently at UConn, he will be fine. If he keeps up that schtick AND he’s not winning? It’ll get old fast

I might have missed something but why is Hurley a jerk?

He’s gotten into it with opposing players during the game. In particular he was screaming at a Florida State player on the FSU bench, in the closing minutes of a UConn loss. Complete nut job

He taunted the SU crowd during the game at MSG.

I know “working the refs” is part of it at that level, but even in a sport where many guys take it to the extreme: Hurley is possibly next level beyond them all. He just screams at the refs all game long, picking up tons Of technicals.

He’s gotten into it with other coaches multiple times.

Turgeon, Hurley exchange heated words at end of Maryland win | NBC Sports Washington

Although he is beyond annoying and over hyped. He knows these are young impressionable teenagers. He feeds them all the bs they want to hear, and false promises. It'll catch up to him sooner or later. But, we shouldn't even worry about that program. Not only because we don't play them, but they haven't been in a postseason tournament in like 5 years or something. They are not a big program anymore. You're not gonna hear anyone outside of that dump Storrs hyping them up.

I can't find the video, bit I swear there is one from a post game press conference where JC (later in his career) says he considers JB to be the best coach in the country.
yup. it was after i believe a louisville game and syracuse was up next. calhoun responded to a question praising pitino by saying (paraphrasing from sketchy memory) "this stuff doesn't matter much to those of us in the business, but the guy coming in here next is in my opinion the best in the game"

Ever watch him on the sidelines? Better yet watch his reaction after the last time we played them in MSG. Literally took time to talk trash to SU fans in the crowd like he was a fan himself.

I recall the chest bumping after they won but I guess I missed the rest of it. I usually shut off the TV after an embarrassing L

Cool. Four titles. They had to crawl back to a watered down Big East and give up football. They can crow about 4>1 and Tyler Olander all they want. I’ll take out spot over there’s any day.

And yes Uconn fan I know you’re reading this feel free to screenshot and share.

Yep. And, it's why all fans of Syracuse University and their love/passion for big time collegiate sports should be forever thankful that the ACC extended SU the lifeline they did.

Cool. Four titles. They had to crawl back to a watered down Big East and give up football. They can crow about 4>1 and Tyler Olander all they want. I’ll take out spot over there’s any day.

And yes Uconn fan I know you’re reading this feel free to screenshot and share.
They’ve had a more successful basketball program overall, plain and simple. We’d be idiots to say otherwise (The number 1 metric that means the most is NCAA championships obviously). It’s a shame some of our best teams weren’t able to pull through in the end. And they’ve had some lucky runs over exceeding.

But exactly, where we are now, we are in a better place. One could potentially argue against basketball, but overall athletic program (football, basketball), we are obviously way ahead of them.

This isn’t 1985.

“regional rivalries” mean what exactly? What has StJohns, Seton Hall and Providence done? The Dome will have just as many people for those games than they do for NC State, VaTech, etc. I get it’s better than the AAC; and Nova has been tremendous. But the Big East is largely a better basketball conference than the AAC (not including Nova) because of the mid-western, Non-traditional BE schools - Xavier, Marquette, Creighton. But yeah... there’s no conversation between that crew and Duke, UNC, UVA, Louisville, FSU, etc.

Football money + much better basketball = easy choice. I could give a F about playing freaking Seton Hall.

We’ve had some tremendous games against Duke over the years; UVA too. And Id rather play NC State than St Johns I mean it’s not even close
I miss playing Gtown, UConn and Nova. The rest I couldn’t care less about. Three home and homes against rivals isn’t worth not having a legit conference for the football team. Besides annual games against Duke, UNC, Virginia and Louisville isn’t something to complain about. Keep playing Gtown and Nova in the non-conference and I’ll be happy. UConn can go pound tar until Hurley is fired. He’s a clown and I can’t stomach watching his sideline antics.

They’ve had a more successful basketball program overall, plain and simple. We’d be idiots to say otherwise (The number 1 metric that means the most is NCAA championships obviously). It’s a shame some of our best teams weren’t able to pull through in the end. And they’ve had some lucky runs over exceeding.

But exactly, where we are now, we are in a better place. One could potentially argue against basketball, but overall athletic program (football, basketball), we are obviously way ahead of them.

UConn Ba$ketball is why we don't have Andre Jackson.

Who cares, quit living in the past. The only thing more pathetic than dwelling on a lost recruiting battle for a top 60 player is trolling a “rival’s” message board with a fake account.

It stings. Would love to have seen Jackson, Johnson, and B Will dominating the ACC for a season or two together.

Many great coaches are jerks.

This is not to say Hurley is great, far from it, but I've never bought into a coaching "personality" to determine whether I like or dislike them. Bob Knight, Coach K, Roy Williams, Calhoun, Pitino, Boeheim, all can be considered aholes in some way shape or fashion, but for whatever reason, I like them. Calipari, Self, & Bruce Pearl, OTOH, also great at coaching...but I loathe them. Go figure.
I know some folks here hated Jaime Dixon at Pitt and frankly, I didn't see why. He was a good coach who maximized his talent and didn't seem like such a bad guy. If Hurley acts like a fool on the sidelines, so what? If he was OUR fool and winning games, we'd be making excuses for him. JMHO

This is not to say Hurley is great, far from it, but I've never bought into a coaching "personality" to determine whether I like or dislike them. Bob Knight, Coach K, Roy Williams, Calhoun, Pitino, Boeheim, all can be considered aholes in some way shape or fashion, but for whatever reason, I like them. Calipari, Self, & Bruce Pearl, OTOH, also great at coaching...but I loathe them. Go figure.
I know some folks here hated Jaime Dixon at Pitt and frankly, I didn't see why. He was a good coach who maximized his talent and didn't seem like such a bad guy. If Hurley acts like a fool on the sidelines, so what? If he was OUR fool and winning games, we'd be making excuses for him. JMHO
I like guys more who show class. I have no problem with a coach cursing out a ref when they deserve it. Hurley is a whiny little you know what that whines every time he doesn't get his way. It's beyond tiresome. I'm shocked someone hasn't punched him in the face yet.

I think you answered your own question -- twice.

People don't like Hurley and didn't like Dixon because both were demonstrative jackasses whose on court histrionics were [and are] absurd.

Many coaches, players, etc. are . Not all, but many. Seems to go hand in hand with being driven, hyper focused on winning, etc. In many cases, it's part of what makes them great.

But when coaches behave like children having temper tantrums every play on the sidelines, they reap what they sow in terms of how they are perceived.

I think you answered your own question -- twice.

People don't like Hurley and didn't like Dixon because both were demonstrative jackasses whose on court histrionics were [and are] absurd.

Many coaches, players, etc. are . Not all, but many. Seems to go hand in hand with being driven, hyper focused on winning, etc. In many cases, it's part of what makes them great.

But when coaches behave like children having temper tantrums every play on the sidelines, they reap what they sow in terms of how they are perceived.
Fair enough and to be honest, at one time I couldn't stand our very own JB for those same reasons. I thought he was a whiny little twerp, who flailed his arms and had a conniption after every call. But, I learned to overlook all that, mostly because it was obvious he bought alot more to the table than just demeanor. And to be fair, he has gotten much better at that over the years.
Not every coach can be a stoic Tony Bennett who rarely shows great emotion, and I know lotsa UVA fans who hated his demeanor... before they won the NC. Its all a matter of personal preference.

Fair enough and to be honest, at one time I couldn't stand our very own JB for those same reasons. I thought he was a whiny little twerp, who flailed his arms and had a conniption after every call. But, I learned to overlook all that, mostly because it was obvious he bought alot more to the table than just demeanor. And to be fair, he has gotten much better at that over the years.
Not every coach can be a stoic Tony Bennett who rarely shows great emotion, and I know lotsa UVA fans who hated his demeanor... before they won the NC. Its all a matter of personal preference.

And I think early-career Boeheim WAS more demonstrative. And perhaps even "worse," he looked like a whiner who who was always complaining due to his body language and facial expressions.

He's gotten WAY more stoic over the course of his career, but is still considered a "whiner" by some because of how he looks -- moreso than how he acts.

And his churlish behavior with the media doesn't do him any favors. Behind the scenes, he's generous, he's done a lot for charity, etc. -- stuff that many do not know about him.

Conversely, a guy like Pitino is charismatic, funny, and approachable, but a behind the scenes in his personal life.

I like guys more who show class. I have no problem with a coach cursing out a ref when they deserve it. Hurley is a whiny little you know what that whines every time he doesn't get his way. It's beyond tiresome. I'm shocked someone hasn't punched him in the face yet.

Did you actually watch uconn in the american or is this because Danny was enthusiastic when he beat us two seasons ago?

I was a huge fan of Bobby at UB, he was enthusiastic and competitive and I would never call his antics whinny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom