Hurley to UK | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Hurley to UK

I can't remember this exactly, but there was a football coach at a mid atlantic school who was rumored to be going to a Florida school. He said I'm not going there. And he left that night. Same school a few years later, the hoop coach was rumored to go to a Florida school. He said I'm not going to do what the Football coach did and deny I'm going and leave that night. I'm staying. He left the next day.
Coaches/people aren't their word a lot of the time. I get what you are saying. We'll see

How many guys turned down Louisville? This is a cluster by the Kentucky AD. The alleged Blue Blood can't find anyone to take the job and isn't controlling the spin on the process. Louisville -esque.
"Can't find anyone" and being super selective and being turned down a couple times I don't think match up with Louisville. I dont even thing Ville is a bad job but its a disaster.

No, really.

What I meant was let UConn build, let us build. We already have what UConn would ever want in facilities. Build our recruiting through high school and players through the portal. I want the EAST BB teams to make the blue bloods Duke, Kentucky, etc., teams and fans to be second tier to us.

I was a spotter official scorer for the basketball team at Manley when Bing was a freshman - an amazing BB player - sorry you misunderstood or I didn't spell out, Syracuse is the best. My team:
1. Sherman Douglas/Pearl Washington 2. Greg Kohls/Stephen Thompson 3. Carmelo Anthony/ Billy Owens/ Lawrence Moten 4. Derrick Coleman/John Wallace/Etan Thomas 5. Roosevelt Bouie/Rony Seikaly/Danny Shayes

This team could beat anyone incuding the Dogs
I think they would be too old to compete

Must be nice to get $4M in NIL right off the bat
It's the Craft family guaranteed. They and Calipari didn't see eye to eye and they stopped helping the program.

So not only did UK fans not want him, but now he has $4M of NIL at his disposal that Cal didn’t?

He’s going to be under a ridiculous amount of pressure from day 1

Since 2014, when a certain analytics guy started tracking offensive and defensive efficiency. Every champion has been a top 10 offense and a top 35 defense. Only 5 teams qualified this year. BYU just missed that cutoff, 11th offense and 35th defense. This was after jumping up in competition from WCC to Big 12. He did a tremendous job at BYU. He won’t recruit like Cal. But he is a better in game, X and O coach.

Had BYU ranked 4 out of the past 5 years. Next step is winning games in the tournament. 2 first round exits. I assume that will change once he gets some better players, which will naturally happen recruiting at Kentucky vs BYU.

No, really.

What I meant was let UConn build, let us build. We already have what UConn would ever want in facilities. Build our recruiting through high school and players through the portal. I want the EAST BB teams to make the blue bloods Duke, Kentucky, etc., teams and fans to be second tier to us.

I was a spotter official scorer for the basketball team at Manley when Bing was a freshman - an amazing BB player - sorry you misunderstood or I didn't spell out, Syracuse is the best. My team:
1. Sherman Douglas/Pearl Washington 2. Greg Kohls/Stephen Thompson 3. Carmelo Anthony/ Billy Owens/ Lawrence Moten 4. Derrick Coleman/John Wallace/Etan Thomas 5. Roosevelt Bouie/Rony Seikaly/Danny Shayes

This team could beat anyone incuding the Dogs
Like your team only difference I would have is. 2003 Billy Edelin as a guard, and leave out Etan. Billy was as good at setting up teammates to receive the ball in the right place to score, as anyone we have ever had.

Did we? Or did he say we did? Because I don't remember all the players he helped us get.
Because you don’t know what he did with his money exactly and who it went too. Not saying i do either.

Did we? Or did he say we did? Because I don't remember all the players he helped us get.
He left when NIL started to explode. I dont know, I get why he's not around the program but I dont get the timing when its a flex of rich guys who run college basketball.

His NIL that first year was used for player retention. A lot of it. Besides several men’s bball players he also took care of Fair. Even though he and SU split before this season he kept his commitment to Fair since it was a 2 year deal. She publicly thanked him.

His NIL that first year was used for player retention. A lot of it. Besides several men’s bball players he also took care of Fair. Even though he and SU split before this season he kept his commitment to Fair since it was a 2 year deal. She publicly thanked him.
In other words, he honored his contract with Fair.

Would be interesting to know who was thinking of leaving last year (besides Judah). They are probably gone now.

Would be interesting to know who was thinking of leaving last year (besides Judah). They are probably gone now.

Players don’t necessarily have to be leaving to get NIL. I’m pretty sure though that Judah and Benny were 2 of them.

BYU's coach is a huge swing and a miss of a hire for UK. "When keeping it in the fmaoly goes wrong"

BYU couldnt play a lick of defense even with the benefit of players approaching 25

BYU's coach is a huge swing and a miss of a hire for UK. "When keeping it in the fmaoly goes wrong"

BYU couldnt play a lick of defense even with the benefit of players approaching 25
BYU was a weird team this year. They had games that they looked like they could win it all, then turn around and fall flat on their faces. When their guards were on they were dangerous and could run with anyone. They had way to many oops moments though. It wasn't due to lack of coaching, it was players not executing like they could have.

I think the biggest takeaway from this search is that if your top candidates have all won natty's and/or are beloved by their fanbases it's more difficult than ever to pull them away, even if you have plenty of money and resources to offer yourself.

It was only 10 years ago that annual salaries of $3M+ were reserved for the absolute cream of the crop (JB famously took less than he could have). Last season, 40ish coaches made that much, including several whose results didn't justify it.

AD's at jobs like Kentucky have to convince candidates why they'd be happier there than UConn or Baylor or the NBA or whatever, and at a certain point, money stops mattering. Pope may or may not work out, but he didn't need convincing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom