Hurley | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Hurley

UConn is not the place to go if you want to develop offensively. All Hurley cares about is running around fast and “hustling”. He was a scrub as a player and he overemphasizes scrubby stuff as a coach.

That's because as a coach, he's a no-trick pony.

All effort, intensity, and hustle. That stuff is all important, but there's no substance to his coaching beyond that. Which is why his teams are limited.

Also, fffffffuconn.

Am I the only one who looked at the number of ranked Big East teams and scratched their head? Then looked at their schedule results and got more confused?

The Big East feels like a conference of overrated teams from early in the season that are just propping each other up by the ranked teams splitting games with each other in conference play.

I’ve made a note to fade most of the BE teams in the NCAAT.

Am I the only one who looked at the number of ranked Big East teams and scratched their head? Then looked at their schedule results and got more confused?

The Big East feels like a conference of overrated teams from early in the season that are just propping each other up by the ranked teams splitting games with each other in conference play.

A ranked Providence team lost to the Johnnies today too. BE takes another hit.

This has happened in recent tourneys. The BE teams climb the rankings beating up on each other and then play P5 programs in the tourney and get beat. I’m not saying the BE isn’t good, but outside of Villanova the new BE track record in the tourney is bad.

That's because as a coach, he's a no-trick pony.

All effort, intensity, and hustle. That stuff is all important, but there's no substance to his coaching beyond that. Which is why his teams are limited.

Also, fffffffuconn.
I still can't figure out how he gets anyone to play there. They have a decent roster, and decent guys coming in, to play for that spastic nutjob.

I love when this thread is bumped.

How the f@@& are they still in the top ten in Kenpom?
I used to be a KenPom evangelist. But i think there are considerable flaws with his system. The Big10 got like 9 or 10 teams in the tourney last year and they all flamed our before the Sweet 16. Meanwhile the ACC was the opposite. I think the non-conference portion of the schedule is given too much weight. Also, the baseline they start with at the beginning of the season weights certain teams more heavily. And then all the same teams are playing each other in conference and it becomes a self perpetuating echo chamber. We’ll see how it plays out in the post season. Either way, college basketball is rife with parity these days.

Last edited:
ink the non-conference portion of the schedule is given too much weight.

Yeah you might be on to something there. I have to concede UConn’s non-con performance was impressive. They had me fooled for a minute that they were in fact a top five team..

I used to be a KenPom evangelist. But i think there are considerable flaws with his system. The Big10 got like 9 or 10 teams in the tourney last year and they all flamed our before the Sweet 16. Meanwhile the ACC was the opposite. I think the non-conference portion of the schedule is given too much weight.

KenPom is just math. The efficiency numbers are awesome because they dig deeper into a team's performance beyond just wins and losses which have far more variance as broad stats (think the Minnesota Vikings this year in the NFL - KenPom would have hated them despite their gaudy record in the regular season).

What KenPom can't account for is how teams evolve (or don't) over the course of a season. November counts for as much as February. Part of me likes that, because when the committee was looking at "last 10 games" as a major metric it felt over-weighted. At the same time it's obvious that teams change over the course of the year (getting healthy, hurt, coaches finding optimal rotations, young players maturing, etc.). KenPom is the best we have, but that's the way you can find arbitrage against it.

I used to be a KenPom evangelist. But i think there are considerable flaws with his system. The Big10 got like 9 or 10 teams in the tourney last year and they all flamed our before the Sweet 16. Meanwhile the ACC was the opposite. I think the non-conference portion of the schedule is given too much weight.

KenPom isn't perfect and neither is the Net. To me the biggest problem with the non conference is that it all happens early season. Both in cbb and cfb this tradition of nearly every season going in particular order is a hindrance.

Put non conference games in the middle bracketed by conference games. Or have two non conference windows like say November and then January. Have teams showcasing their growth against one another. To me that presents a better total body of work example.

I’ll be picking all of them to lose early in the tourney. Unless Seton Hall sneaks in. I think they’ve got a miracle run in them.

its been the same issue forever.. its a long season.. do we want the best teams at the end or the teams that had better overall seasons. And just like a team can be playing better at the end others can be playing worse.. Some early wins are great and some are not..

if you play good teams early and dont win you can dig a hole and if you dont have the right schedule later there is no digging out. Metrics replace the eyeball test.

I don't watch him, think the antics are dumb.

Getting a team however to buy in to break their rears on every possession is a good coaching skill. Wonder when that dies because there's no second act.

I’ll be picking all of them to lose early in the tourney. Unless Seton Hall sneaks in. I think they’ve got a miracle run in them.
At 15-11, a worse record than SU I might add, I don’t see them sneaking in or making any sort of miracle run.

At 15-11, a worse record than SU I might add, I don’t see them sneaking in or making any sort of miracle run.
True, but they’ve got wins over Memphis, Rutgers(on the road), and UConn.

They also beat St. John’s both times(easily), unlike us. Without looking it up, I would imagine their resume “numbers” are at least alive. Would think that conference tourney is wide open too.

I don't watch him, think the antics are dumb.

Getting a team however to buy in to break their rears on every possession is a good coaching skill. Wonder when that dies because there's no second act.

Yeah. He still coaches like he is at URI. He has dialed back the madness but hasn't progressed as an in game tactician whatsoever or development guru. Jackson has arguably regressed - and seems he made a commitment to getting him to UConn as he gets the kind of favoritism we complain of players here..

Yesterday's game highlighted that. He had his team running the same action to get Hawkins come off a curl screen all game long. Hawkins is good enough to come clean vs most teams, when the illegal screening action isn't called. He still has his guys being overtly handsy and physical fouling in every phase of the game.

Yeah. He still coaches like he is at URI. He has dialed back the madness but hasn't progressed as an in game tactician whatsoever or development guru. Jackson has arguably regressed - and seems he made a commitment to getting him to UConn as he gets the kind of favoritism we complain of players here..

Yesterday's game highlighted that. He had his team running the same action to get Hawkins come off a curl screen all game long. Hawkins is good enough to come clean vs most teams, when the illegal screening action isn't called. He still has his guys being overtly handsy and physical fouling in every phase of the game.

Yeah those A-10 games can be b@lls to the wall stuff on defense and not much else.

The one big issue I don’t understand is his refusal to play Clingan. Hus rebounding and blocking stats are amazing considering his low usage. Hurley shockingly only played him 7 minutes yesterday against Creighton but he scored 4 points, had 7 rebounds, 1 block in that short period of time. His 40 minute stats are unbelievable - 22.6 points, 18.4 rebounds, 5.7 blocks. Even if the young man lacks stamina to go 40 minutes, his impact sure appears to be worthy of a coach to scheme him much more effectively to impact his team’s performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom