HW looked like deer in the headlights | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

HW looked like deer in the headlights

If you expected anything other than for a 3 star true Freshman - who has played like 4 minutes all season - to have the 'deer in the headlights' look when he gets tossed into a tight ACC game, then I just don't know what to tell you. He was clearly afraid to shoot because he got murdered the last time he let one fly, but he showed good energy/rotation on defense, all things considered. What did people expect him to do?

Why would you get that from my post? I was responding to your use of absolutes in your first post (not on anyone's radar). I try not to use absolutes. They don't work our for me very well.

He's one dimensional because we have no other dimensions. He's fulfilling his role as defined by JB and the lack of offensive talent on the floor. If someone could start knocking down shots besides Frank, I think you'd see him expand that role appropriately.

Not sure it's an absolute, but whatever radar he was on I'm sure he has fallen far on that teams draft board.

The biggest question is, is he a top 10-15 guard prospect in all of college and Europe? At this point I don't think he is.

Not sure it's an absolute, but whatever radar he was on I'm sure he has fallen far on that teams draft board.

The biggest question is, is he a top 10-15 guard prospect in all of college and Europe? At this point I don't think he is.
There are a couple of names showing up at the end of the 1st Round on the mock draft boards that Battle is theoretically comparable to... guys like Grayson Allen, Rawle Alkins, Lagerald Vick... There's a lot of basketball to be played between then and now, but I think the most likely scenario is that Tyus declares for the draft but does not sign with an agent. And he bases his final decision on whatever the feedback is from the NBA. If there's no 1st round guarantee, might as well come back for his junior year.

It's early. I'm sure the NBA doesn't make decisions based on games just played immediately surrounding the holiday break.

But yeah, he's got some work to do. He may regret not coming out last year. Which truly sucks...

Look, there is a reason he was option #23B on our 2017 PG recruiting chart. Brought in as a last resort practice player with enough basketball IQ to HOPE he could develop into a rotation player after a couple of years in the system. That's a luxury we could barely afford with an 11 / 12 man roster. Not a 7 man roster.

So many H0T Takes in this thread for a freshman that probably has less than 100 minutes played in his collegiate career thus far.

I have a feeling that this is, right or wrong, based on a lot of people thinking that he wasn't really a Syracuse-caliber player even before the season started. If he were a consensus 4*/top-100 type guy that was struggling in limited minutes, I don't think people would be giving up on him.

He has that level of talent. But FH has earned his starting spot -- I think we can all agree on that. JB's history (starting veterans) is unlikely to change IMO.
You're right. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

You're right. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
Even if FH starts, as I expect, it's a great opportunity for JC. He'll play the minutes he earns, but without excessive pressure like Frank's under. If he has a cold-shooting night or gets turned over, there's an established starter there to come back in the game. It's win-win IMO, and "starting" is the least of the concerns. There's a lot to learn.

The kid will be fine, it will take some time but like him, think he will be a good one

I would not be surprised if JC starts at the 1 with Frank at the 2. JB has often said there are just guards and not necessarily point guards and shooting guards or combos.

I have a feeling that this is, right or wrong, based on a lot of people thinking that he wasn't really a Syracuse-caliber player even before the season started. If he were a consensus 4*/top-100 type guy that was struggling in limited minutes, I don't think people would be giving up on him.

Howard Washington was a top-100 recruit when he was at Montverde (before he went to Canada).

Last edited:
Shockingly this board is extremely critical of a freshman pg that is playing zero minutes except in a jam. I might also point out that HW bleeds Orange.
He may never be what we need ina lead guard but judging him based on his game action this year is about as smart as judging Hop on his 9 game interim stint a couple years ago.

This board used to be better than that.

Not sure if you have inside info but with his numbers and the eye test, I just don't see it.

If he leaves he's making a mistake.
A mistake would be quitting school mid season to start a drug habit. Declaring for the nba and getting paid the bucks is not a mistake.

Shockingly this board is extremely critical of a freshman pg that is playing zero minutes except in a jam. I might also point out that HW bleeds Orange.
He may never be what we need ina lead guard but judging him based on his game action this year is about as smart as judging Hop on his 9 game interim stint a couple years ago.

This board used to be better than that.
I agree, except for the part about this board once being better than that.

I agree, except for the part about this board once being better than that.
Lol. Probably right. Ironically it’s the same people that think Geno would help right about now

I would not be surprised if JC starts at the 1 with Frank at the 2. JB has often said there are just guards and not necessarily point guards and shooting guards or combos.
Maybe. But hughes is supposedly VERY talented, with good size (6'6+) at 215 pounds (10 > lbs than TB and the same weight as MM). Frank could play there, but with JC being smaller than Frank, the top of the zone would shrink. No doubt we'll see lots of combinations with Buddy and JC coming in. My guess is that FH starts up top with EH next to him ... with elite depth available early and often.

I think that HW will be fine. He needs to get more than a few minutes/game. I understand it is a catch 22 though

A mistake would be quitting school mid season to start a drug habit. Declaring for the nba and getting paid the bucks is not a mistake.

I don't think he's going to get NBA bucks as of right now.

Look at the second round of the draft last year. Name 1 SG you think is a lesser NBA prospect.

May be one but that's about it.

Anyone remember one of the announcers comparing HW to Tyler Ennis? Thought that was a bit of a stretch. Also said HW was a good outside shooter but then went on to say he had shot 2-10 this season from behind the arch. I do not believe HW will be a superstar by any means, but he has the size to help out the zone and he has potential to become a weapon on offense down the road. He will be a solid 4 year player for us so it is not worth getting worked up over a 4 minute stretch in his first ACC game.

Anyone remember one of the announcers comparing HW to Tyler Ennis? Thought that was a bit of a stretch. Also said HW was a good outside shooter but then went on to say he had shot 2-10 this season from behind the arch. I do not believe HW will be a superstar by any means, but he has the size to help out the zone and he has potential to become a weapon on offense down the road. He will be a solid 4 year player for us so it is not worth getting worked up over a 4 minute stretch in his first ACC game.

Everything they said I heard around this forum.

Yes, I heard it, and I was somewhat floored by the commentary. One thing though...after that bizarre comment from Anish in regard to the Ennis/HW comparison, Gaudio's comments on how HW was a good outside shooter was after he stated he was '1-10,' so even more of a complete joke comment. :)

Maybe. But hughes is supposedly VERY talented, with good size (6'6+) at 215 pounds (10 > lbs than TB and the same weight as MM). Frank could play there, but with JC being smaller than Frank, the top of the zone would shrink. No doubt we'll see lots of combinations with Buddy and JC coming in. My guess is that FH starts up top with EH next to him ... with elite depth available early and often.

Sounds slow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom