I’ll tell you one thing, Dino and Wildhack are not sitting back | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll tell you one thing, Dino and Wildhack are not sitting back

Yes - we’d all be willing to give one of your limbs for a respectable, winning product to root for. :p
Let it be my left leg so I can still claim to be able to outkick Andre with my right :)

• Garrett Shrader, QB (Mississippi State), started 9 games.
  • Cody Roscoe, DE (McNeese St), played in all-12 games with 9 starts, recording 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, a forced fumble and five quarterback hurries. 1st team All-ACC.
  • Jason Simmons, S (New Mexico State),10 starts at safety.
  • Chris Bleich, OL (Florida), 7 starts at guard, played in 8 games. Limited due to injury.
  • Devaughn Cooper, WR (UTEP/Arizona), played in 11 games 1 start, #2 on the team in receptions (21).
  • Erik Slater, LB (Lehigh), played in 2 games. Came to the Orange in August 2021 to provide depth at LB.
My take away from this is our second leading wideout had 21 catches? In 2021?

I get it, our strength was running but that has to be better.

I actually view the DL development as a positive. Seems the staff has a lot of confidence in who they have already. We haven’t seen a huge push for portal DL either, and that may be either due to a lack of prospects they liked or higher ceiling HS prospects they’d rather have.
Possible...I also think Dino wants to see what he has this spring. Losing Verse was a huge blow. I assume he'll offer a DL or two in the Spring. Maybe a 2nd string guy from a Power Program or a JUCO kid who just got cleared academically or some kid like Bromley who falls in our laps.

Possible...I also think Dino wants to see what he has this spring. Losing Verse was a huge blow. I assume he'll offer a DL or two in the Spring. Maybe a 2nd string guy from a Power Program or a JUCO kid who just got cleared academically or some kid like Bromley who falls in our laps.
Jobity fits the Bromley profile.

My take away from this is our second leading wideout had 21 catches? In 2021?

I get it, our strength was running but that has to be better.
When you don’t run a lot of plays in a game to begin with, have a 2:1 run/pass play mix, and when you do throw you have a low completion percentage, that’s what happens.

Losing Verse??
How do you lose a guy you never had? :rolleyes:

I agree - very high probability we try to land another DT after Spring, when things here (and everywhere else) shake out.

When you don’t run a lot of plays in a game to begin with, have a 2:1 run/pass play mix, and when you do throw you have a low completion percentage, that’s what happens.
I understand how it got there for sure. Not to have a second guy even average 2 catches a game is ridiculous though. That must must must be better.

I actually view the DL development as a positive. Seems the staff has a lot of confidence in who they have already. We haven’t seen a huge push for portal DL either, and that may be either due to a lack of prospects they liked or higher ceiling HS prospects they’d rather have.

A lot of young kids are going to have to step up and be solid rotation players, guys like Geer, Lockett, Linton, and at least 2 of the new enrollees are going to have to appear in the two-deep at some point. Not a lot of size to stand pat with this group.

Happy with what we've done this off-season but the demand still has to be at least .500 this year or Dino is gone. You can't bring back a HC at the P5 level for an 8th year if he's only had 1 winning season in 7 years, assuning we have a losing record again this year. Dino needs that sixth win.

While this is true, I don't think that this is the right sentiment for right now.
We are looking at major upgrades all over the place.

We are still too thin on the run defense, but hopefully he can add a couple portal guys as they graduate in May.

It's a tough schedule, but this coaching staff is really good now, and our offensive line coach and defensive coordinator are entering only their second seasons. Both were major improvements, so I'm optimistic for more growth, as the kids get more familiar with schemes, execution, etc.

I don't see this as the time to have a "hot seat" expectations conversation, when I feel a lot of optimism around the moves that have been made, shared by many on this board.

Oh, we may be marching with torches and pitchforks in October calling for Dino's head as we sit 3 games below .500, but for now, I would opt against being a buzz kill.

To Trueblue's point

Fans and wins will come, but this might take 2 years. Look at our upcoming schedule. It's a gauntlet. We need to give our new coordinator(s) a chance to get acclimated with this team.

If you throw the whole thing away because of 5 wins, then you start from scratch again and nothing is guaranteed

To me (not a coaching expert by any means ...), this still looks like the best staff we've had since the early Pasqualoni teams, or late Coach Mac teams. There are a lot of very good coaches on this staff now. Not a bunch of guys in their first time trying to do a certain job.

We've got quality experienced coaches all over the field. That alone is going to yield big benefits if we can good enough next year to warrant keeping them (almost) all together. (You say 'almost' because there is turnover every season, but wow, this is a group!)

Jobity fits the Bromley profile.

He is one of a bunch of promising young guys. But they are all a bit on the small side right now.

I am beginning to believe there will be a couple JUCO / Grad transfer portal guys, once they graduate in May.

We need more size, or else opponents are going to run it down our throats. It obvious to see, looking at the current roster.

Losing Verse??
How do you lose a guy you never had? :rolleyes:

I agree - very high probability we try to land another DT after Spring, when things here (and everywhere else) shake out.

Losing Verse hurt

We certainly were a strong contender there and thought we had the inside track for a bit

To me (not a coaching expert by any means ...), this still looks like the best staff we've had since the early Pasqualoni teams, or late Coach Mac teams. There are a lot of very good coaches on this staff now. Not a bunch of guys in their first time trying to do a certain job.

We've got quality experienced coaches all over the field. That alone is going to yield big benefits if we can good enough next year to warrant keeping them (almost) all together. (You say 'almost' because there is turnover every season, but wow, this is a group!)
Keep talking :)

Losing Verse hurt

We certainly were a strong contender there and thought we had the inside track for a bit
We will find a way. I think we might have 3 capable big guys for the front line in Darton, Lockett, and possibly Fuentes. Bassette is an up and comer, and will be in the rotation in 2023 (imo)

We will find a way. I think we might have 3 capable big guys for the front line in Darton, Lockett, and possibly Fuentes. Bassette is an up and comer, and will be in the rotation in 2023 (imo)

Yeah I think we have a “survivable” DL

Would really like to see us bolster by bringing in an impact transfer but you can’t get everything you wish for LOL

and passively accepting their fates.

Coaching upgrades, portal pounding.

I expect continued churn on the roster, there are a lot of numbers at Wr, OL, and DB. Some kids might reevaluate their options in April.

But so far the portal wars have been a net plus for the program.
I agree and love what is going on with the lacrosse program and especially the football program because that is the money maker but I wish wildhack would take that same approach with the basketball program!!!!