I’ll tell you one thing, Dino and Wildhack are not sitting back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll tell you one thing, Dino and Wildhack are not sitting back

Happy with what we've done this off-season but the demand still has to be at least .500 this year or Dino is gone. You can't bring back a HC at the P5 level for an 8th year if he's only had 1 winning season in 7 years, assuning we have a losing record again this year. Dino needs that sixth win.

and passively accepting their fates.

Coaching upgrades, portal pounding.

I expect continued churn on the roster, there are a lot of numbers at Wr, OL, and DB. Some kids might reevaluate their options in April.

But so far the portal wars have been a net plus for the program.
It'd be nice if the basketball program was this aggressive about staying relevant...

Both. Go watch JWs press conf again.
Maybe some of both, but more open the wallet in my view. These new hires could not have happened without the increased spending it took. I think it was obvious to everyone including Dino that changes needed to be made or he would soon be out of a job. I am sure there was a mutual discussion before JW’s press conference about a plan of action to upgrade the staff and the funding it would take. Maybe Dino needed some prodding on some of the departures or maybe JW needed to see reality on the money it would take, but JW wasn’t blindsiding Dino in the press conference. Also JW was feeling some heat himself and needed to present himself more publicly as a strong leader with a plan. At least this is my take.

if they were gonna pay Dino to go away 2-3 million and then hire a new guy for 2-3 million spending 1-2 million to fix some issues is still a cost savings.

and the first thing a new guy is gonna ask is where is the money to fix things..

About the portal. Not that he wouldn’t use it. About 25% of our starters last year were portal including the QB and our all league DL.

Absolutely correct. Too often what Coach Babers has said regarding the portal seems to get misinterpreted.

“I think it was a change year between name, image and likeness, between the transfer portal, things that haven’t gone on in college football in 35 years,” Babers said. “I consider it different. We always talk about being green and growing, not red and rotten. There was a change in 2021. You need to change or you’re going to go extinct. We’re going to change. We’re going to adjust. And I think we’ll be a lot better for it in 2022.” Dino Babers, November 2021

"We're hitting the portal hard," Babers said. "We've got some vacant scholarships that we can give to certain individuals that we think that can help us win... Dino Babers, January 2022

Last July, Babers said this...

There are a couple of scholarships that can still be used, but Babers said he will be selective when mining the transfer portal.

“I would say this: You better know what you’re getting into when you take someone out of the portal,” Babers said. “What you’re getting is a person who says, ‘I don’t like what’s going on here, and I’m going to go somewhere else.’

“If you’re recruiting a quarterback, normally one quarterback can play or you slotted who’s up or who’s next. That position kind of sorts itself out.

“Those other positions, numerous guys can play. When you get an individual that says I can’t do it here, I’m going somewhere else, unless he has outstanding personnel in front of him, you really wonder about the competition part of it, whether he’s running toward the competition or running away from the competition.

“That’s a big part in what type of football player you want on your team.”

A simple review of the 2021 roster will show that Syracuse has used the portal and actually has used the portal effectively.
  • Garrett Shrader, QB (Mississippi State), started 9 games.
  • Cody Roscoe, DE (McNeese St), played in all-12 games with 9 starts, recording 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, a forced fumble and five quarterback hurries. 1st team All-ACC.
  • Jason Simmons, S (New Mexico State),10 starts at safety.
  • Chris Bleich, OL (Florida), 7 starts at guard, played in 8 games. Limited due to injury.
  • Devaughn Cooper, WR (UTEP/Arizona), played in 11 games 1 start, #2 on the team in receptions (21).
  • Erik Slater, LB (Lehigh), played in 2 games. Came to the Orange in August 2021 to provide depth at LB.

As I posted in another thread, looks like they are adding additional football positions so definitely giving Dino the resources.

Director of Football Analytics and
Director of Player Development

Football Analytics hire could be huge, would love to see that person help Dino get better with timeout management and in-game strategy

Also known as WWHD (What would Homer do).
JW is doing some heavy lifting to give football the type of guidance and support necessary for us to be competitive in the ACC! Bravo ADJW you are making a huge difference in your position and in my view are the best AD we have had at Syracuse in such a long time!

Solid 5 wins with this staff in tact I still bring him back. I know it sounds a bit crazy but I would and I think Wildhack would too. I know 6 is a line in the sand but the only season I find "Unacceptable" (as many like to say here) of the Dino era is 2020.

I guess I just have low expectations and they get lower in the modern landscape of college football maybe I just don't care much anymore

if they were gonna pay Dino to go away 2-3 million and then hire a new guy for 2-3 million spending 1-2 million to fix some issues is still a cost savings.

and the first thing a new guy is gonna ask is where is the money to fix things..

On top of that, we’d have to hope the new guy was worth the money or we are in the same sitch. This was a better approach.

When taking into account Dino's future, you look at the direction of the program as a whole, and not just wins and losses.

The program is projecting up this off-season. With the coaching hires, the wins in recruiting, and the general investment in the program (like we have never seen), Dino and JW need to be given some leeway this season because the schedule is going to be difficult, to say the least. If they go 5-7, stick with Dino and new coaches. You can't give these phenomenal coaching hires only one year to prove themselves. That would be garbage and short-sighted. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You have to consider everything in context, and not just look at 2 numbers on a page (wins and losses)

Solid 5 wins with this staff in tact I still bring him back. I know it sounds a bit crazy but I would and I think Wildhack would too. I know 6 is a line in the sand but the only season I find "Unacceptable" (as many like to say here) of the Dino era is 2020.

I guess I just have low expectations and they get lower in the modern landscape of college football maybe I just don't care much anymore
Other than your "low expectations comment" I basically just said the same thing. You know what they say about great minds ...:)

When taking into account Dino's future, you look at the direction of the program as a whole, and not just wins and losses.

The program is projecting up this off-season. With the coaching hires, the wins in recruiting, and the general investment in the program (like we have never seen), Dino and JW need to be given some leeway this season because the schedule is going to be difficult, to say the least. If they go 5-7, stick with Dino and new coaches. You can't give these phenomenal coaching hires only one year to prove themselves. That would be garbage and short-sighted. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You have to consider everything in context, and not just look at 2 numbers on a page (wins and losses)
I actually agree. Dino has proven hes not the best game day coach. He does however seem to be a good CEO type. More Mac than Paul.
Now that he has hired true professionals i agree we should let this play out for a minimum of 2 years.
We also have 2 maybe 3 coaches who could take over the program.
JW really stepped up and Dino has made some great hires.

Its all exciting

But we need a bowl appearance guys. We lost the casual fans again. These hires and transfers are great but as of right now they’re just names. Names us on this board read about but dont move the needle with casuals.

We need to get attendance back.

I actually agree. Dino has proven hes not the best game day coach. He does however seem to be a good CEO type. More Mac than Paul.
Now that he has hired true professionals i agree we should let this play out for a minimum of 2 years.
We also have 2 maybe 3 coaches who could take over the program.
JW really stepped up and Dino has made some great hires.

yeah, it seems that Dino is getting another opportunity to reset. If you are going to exercise extreme patience which Wildhack has, I think 2 years with this staff seems the best route and seems to follow the logic that Wildhack is using. Don't think you get this OC/QB coach combo without a 2 year contract either