I’ll tell you one thing, Dino and Wildhack are not sitting back | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll tell you one thing, Dino and Wildhack are not sitting back

To Trueblue's point

Fans and wins will come, but this might take 2 years. Look at our upcoming schedule. It's a gauntlet. We need to give our new coordinator(s) a chance to get acclimated with this team.

If you throw the whole thing away because of 5 wins, then you start from scratch again and nothing is guaranteed

Its all exciting

But we need a bowl appearance guys. We lost the casual fans again. These hires and transfers are great but as of right now they’re just names. Names us on this board read about but dont move the needle with casuals.

We need to get attendance back.

I think we are beyond that really. a 5 or 6 win season won't change much. The casual fans have been lost every season for the past 20 other than a season here and there. I don't think decisions are being made in hopes of bringing back the casual fan anytime soon. Otherwise, dino would have been fired and a new "hope" could be sold. Which wears off in 6 games

Casual fans didn't really come back after Marrone won 8 games or when Dino won 10

Last edited:
I think we are beyond that really. a 5 or 6 win season won't change much. The casual fans have been lost every season for the past 20 other than a season here and there. I don't think decisions are being made in hopes of bringing back the casual fan anytime soon. Otherwise, dino would have been fired and a new "hope" could be sold. Which wears off in 6 games

Casual fans didn't really come back after Marrone won 8 games or when Dino won 10
I think we start bringing some back with 6 or 7 wins and something to watch in bowl season.

Dino’s putting names in the draft too which helps a lot.

Did you miss the spike in season tickets after Dino won 10 games?

The worst part of the 10 wins was following it up with such a clunker. A 7 win follow up would have sustained so much momentum. That Clemson game was a make or break moment for casual fans...and we blew it. Going to need sustained winning before casual fans come back. And honestly, I dont blame them.

Solid 5 wins with this staff in tact I still bring him back. I know it sounds a bit crazy but I would and I think Wildhack would too. I know 6 is a line in the sand but the only season I find "Unacceptable" (as many like to say here) of the Dino era is 2020.

I guess I just have low expectations and they get lower in the modern landscape of college football maybe I just don't care much anymore
Hmmm. To me 2021 was the only unacceptable season. 2020 will always be Covid….and gets a pass. An OL that had a FB starting at guard.

But it was clear to me that Devito wasn’t the guy in 2019…he needed to move heaven an earth to fix that. 3 games into last season was too late.

But I 10000% agree that this staff needs a bit of a runway.

I guess always looks about the same to me when I go to games is my point. I am sure they sold more season tickets but I didn't see a lot of 42k in attendance type games is my point.

Hmmm. To me 2021 was the only unacceptable season. 2020 will always be Covid….and gets a pass. An OL that had a FB starting at guard.

But it was clear to me that Devito wasn’t the guy in 2019…he needed to move heaven an earth to fix that. 3 games into last season was too late.

But I 10000% agree that this staff needs a bit of a runway.

I thought Shrader getting hurt at the end of the VT game was a real issue, bigger issue was not having a viable back up which we should this year.

I think it's pretty safe to say that barring some huge pitfall Dino is here at least 2 more years

When taking into account Dino's future, you look at the direction of the program as a whole, and not just wins and losses.

The program is projecting up this off-season. With the coaching hires, the wins in recruiting, and the general investment in the program (like we have never seen), Dino and JW need to be given some leeway this season because the schedule is going to be difficult, to say the least. If they go 5-7, stick with Dino and new coaches. You can't give these phenomenal coaching hires only one year to prove themselves. That would be garbage and short-sighted. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You have to consider everything in context, and not just look at 2 numbers on a page (wins and losses)
I agree that wins and losses shouldn't be the only factor. I want to see serious progress with Clock/Timeout management. I want to see how recruiting goes next year. I want to see some creativity with the offense, which I believe we will if Dino lets Anae/Beck run the offense their way. If we go 5-7 and everything else looks good, I wouldn't feel bound to make a change.

I take a different view. We won five games last year and we return basically the entire team. With the additional transfers and better coaching I think we can increase our win total. Last year should have been better than a five win team. Better coaching and a couple of made field goals and I think we can be in the mix in the Atlantic Division.

Our attendance at Maryland in 2019 was B1G, SEC like. What a damn stinker that was.

I flew in to meet a few friends and our optimism had never been higher. Tailgated with so many player’s parents. I remember seeing Hakim and Arinze in the house. Atmosphere pre game was electric. Even the Maryland fans seemed surprised by our numbers. We were ready for a Natty run. Then they got crushed like a D3 team playing the villain in a 80’s John Hughes movie.

When taking into account Dino's future, you look at the direction of the program as a whole, and not just wins and losses.

The program is projecting up this off-season. With the coaching hires, the wins in recruiting, and the general investment in the program (like we have never seen), Dino and JW need to be given some leeway this season because the schedule is going to be difficult, to say the least. If they go 5-7, stick with Dino and new coaches. You can't give these phenomenal coaching hires only one year to prove themselves. That would be garbage and short-sighted. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You have to consider everything in context, and not just look at 2 numbers on a page (wins and losses)
Well put. If we are 5-7 but play competitive football, that is upward trajectory. If we look totally lost and are getting blown out by peer schools, Dino's seat will be melting.
With this off-season, I would be shocked if we are not more competitive.

I absolutely love the direction of the football program and what is going on here. Very impressed with the staff and I was saying that last year.
You got to have that, and they are pouring money, investing in the program! I love that & I have not been this excited since the 10-win season. Maybe even more than that because you know because this staff is way better than the one that year and sky's the limit I think.

Especially when that football facility is done. we will definitely be on par with just about anybody I think, I mean for the most part in terms of what we have. some of them obviously are more extravagant than others but one thing is a fact. BIG TIME improvement on what we have there now at Manley Field House

I guess always looks about the same to me when I go to games is my point. I am sure they sold more season tickets but I didn't see a lot of 42k in attendance type games is my point.
Thats fair. But season ticket sales themselves increased by 10,000+ seats sold and we were one of I think less than 20 p5 schools to increase average attendance by more than 3-4,000 per game.

Not immediately noticeable to the eye, but thats a huge turnaround in 1 year for Syracuse.

Thats fair. But season ticket sales themselves increased by 10,000+ seats sold and we were one of I think less than 20 p5 schools to increase average attendance by more than 3-4,000 per game.

Not immediately noticeable to the eye, but thats a huge turnaround in 1 year for Syracuse.
The one immutable truth for Syracuse sports fans is, if you win, the fans will come.

If we could somehow string two good seasons together, I think things could get really interesting.

Let's hope we return to problems with overcrowding in the concourses, etc soon!

Yup...we have 2 years to show significant improvement.
Dino is the "face" of this program...some use the term CEO and it's fitting.
We lost a few good assistant coaches, Lustig and the OC from a few years back.
IT SHOWED.
Now I KNOW we have a top 40 coaching staff and we have brought in some good talent
from the PORTAL. If Tucker stays healthy and Szmyt can find his stroke, this team will be VERY MUCH improved by game 8 this fall. UNRECOGNIZABLY GOOD.

Solid 5 wins with this staff in tact I still bring him back. I know it sounds a bit crazy but I would and I think Wildhack would too. I know 6 is a line in the sand but the only season I find "Unacceptable" (as many like to say here) of the Dino era is 2020.

I guess I just have low expectations and they get lower in the modern landscape of college football maybe I just don't care much anymore

At this point sure. But what if we win, say 2-3 games this year? I really would like to know how we will accept that after accepting another really mediocre season on top of a really bad season.

The changes are universally incredible so far. Anyone who isn't excited for the program is crazy but I would guess our opinions of these new coaches will be swayed by the performance on the field.

I'm just wondering if JW looks at Dino as an overseer of a project and the results don't really matter year to year. I'm resigned to this as well at this point because SU isn't going to win in the carousel of rotating coaches. we'll need to win in our own unique way. but i just wonder how we will look at a rebuild this year if this doesn't work out results wise

At this point sure. But what if we win, say 2-3 games this year? I really would like to know how we will accept that after accepting another really mediocre season on top of a really bad season.

The changes are universally incredible so far. Anyone who isn't excited for the program is crazy but I would guess our opinions of these new coaches will be swayed by the performance on the field.

I'm just wondering if JW looks at Dino as an overseer of a project and the results don't really matter year to year. I'm resigned to this as well at this point because SU isn't going to win in the carousel of rotating coaches. we'll need to win in our own unique way. but i just wonder how we will look at a rebuild this year if this doesn't work out results wise

I think right now we are looking at 4/5 wins next season…

After spring ball I’ll be able to give a more accurate assessment

The one immutable truth for Syracuse sports fans is, if you win, the fans will come.

If we could somehow string two good seasons together, I think things could get really interesting.

Let's hope we return to problems with overcrowding in the concourses, etc soon!
SU Fans are so hungry for a winner in all sports. When we are good we pack the house. JW hit a home run with Lacrosse and this has been the best off season for SU football in a very long time. Basketball is at its lowest point since i have been following the program but will rebound when Jim steps aside. Throw in ACC money and the new Athletic complex and the future looks solid.

Upstate New Yorkers would give a limb for a respectable, winning product to root for.

Yes - we’d all be willing to give one of your limbs for a respectable, winning product to root for. :p