I’m convinced | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I’m convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point 3 gets an Amen.
There is no need for him to take alot of these shots, particularly with the way Swider and JG are shooting. This bs narrative that Buddy takes bad shots because there is no other choice and nobody else wants to shoot needs to stop. He got bailed out tonight by his teammates, and there have been nights when he's bailed out his teammates. But lets at least deal in reality.

Who would have guessed before the game that we’d win with Jesse having 0 points and fouling out? We were favored just by 3.5 points in the first place.

And Buddy Brick-it’s instead of Buckets.

Dude was like 0-infinity the 2nd half.
But! He did give us crappy D, and turnovers!! :rolleyes:

There’s zero point zero reason that Sy couldn’t have gone in for 4-6 minutes in the middle of the 2nd half, to give Jackson some very much needed pine time.

I get that you’d want Buddy in very late, for his FT shooting.

But if Symir is in earlier, maybe we’re up by 20 like we shoulda been, and FT’s become irrelevant anyway.

Eh this isn’t a very good team. We are beating up really bad squads.
See, here’s the thing: If we lose to these teams, then it’s “We suck- can’t even beat BC”. When we win it’s: “Meh, it’s just BC”.
It’s a no-win situation other than where it counts most…the scoreboard.
You play who’s in front of you, period.

“You play today, you win today. Dass it”!
-Mariano Duncan - ‘96 Yankees

Last edited:
See, here’s the thing: If we lose to these teams, then it’s “We suck- can’t even beat BC”. When we win it’s: “Meh, it’s just BC”.
It’s a no-win situation w/ fans other than where it counts most…the scoreboard.
You play who’s in front of you, period.

“You play today, you win today. Dass it”!
-Mariano Duncan - ‘96 Yankees
Unfortunate it’s not only the fans that feel that way

That we have the ingredients to make a push. Three things need to happen in my opinion for this team to maximize their potential.

1) Symir and Frank need to eat into Joe and Jimmy’s minutes.

2) Cole needs to continue playing with confidence.

3) Buddy has to stop being a black hole. He shoots way too much with all the shooters we have.
Frank is not a forward.

That we have the ingredients to make a push. Three things need to happen in my opinion for this team to maximize their potential.

3) Buddy has to stop being a black hole. He shoots way too much with all the shooters we have.
If he had shot 50% last night, that wouldn’t be the sentiment.
Shooters shoot, knowing the next shot is going in. Some nights it doesn’t.

There is no need for him to take alot of these shots, particularly with the way Swider and JG are shooting. This bs narrative that Buddy takes bad shots because there is no other choice and nobody else wants to shoot needs to stop. He got bailed out tonight by his teammates, and there have been nights when he's bailed out his teammates. But lets at least deal in reality.
His shot selection is right in line with the 2 guards that came before him. That’s never been a position where we’ve had a lot of efficiency. Battle and Cooney had the same green light.

His shot selection is right in line with the 2 guards that came before him. That’s never been a position where we’ve had a lot of efficiency. Battle and Cooney had the same green light.
All 3 marathon men who never had to worry about being benched.
It is the bad roster management.

No reason for these players to be given the green light. It’s lazy coaching. When they are hot ride them when they are not we are screwed.

All 3 marathon men who never had to worry about being benched.
It is the bad roster management.

No reason for these players to be given the green light. It’s lazy coaching. When they are hot ride them when they are not we are screwed.

You're lumping Tyus Battle in with the other two?

Saturday's game at Virginia Tech is huge. If we're serious about turning this season around, this has to be a win. It would be a valuable Quad 2 win on the road.
Yup. Backs against the wall. Three tough road games (VT, ND and UNC). It doesn't get easier. But you can't win them all unless you win the first one. Need much better games from Buddy and Jesse. Saturday can definitely happen.

This is always controversial because Battle seems to have reached legend status with some, but he and Buddy’s numbers are basically identical. And oddly enough Buddy averages more rebounds and assists this year than Tyus ever did.

Yes.
He shouldn’t have had to be a marathon man and have the greenest of green lights.

His sophomore season we literally only had 2 scholarship guards because we chose a grad transfer who quit.

Players shouldn’t be given these insane green lights. If it’s Sophomore Dion Waiters , Freshmen Melo, or Senior Hak Warrick who could score pretty much when they wanted too or we needed it okay.
However our offensive philosophy has been here is the ball get us points.

Not much creativity which results in a lot of tough shots.

Yes.
He shouldn’t have had to be a marathon man and have the greenest of green lights.

His sophomore season we literally only had 2 scholarship guards because we chose a grad transfer who quit.

Players shouldn’t be given these insane green lights. If it’s Sophomore Dion Waiters , Freshmen Melo, or Senior Hak Warrick who could score pretty much when they wanted too or we needed it okay.
However our offensive philosophy has been here is the ball get us points.

Not much creativity which results in a lot of tough shots.

We had 3 and if Moyer didn't stink Hughes could've played there.

All this roster management stuff for some guys comes down to the gap between one TV time out.

JB has ridden shooters and scorers forever. Fine sit Tyus, who is the guy spending his time in Cuse as his backup.

(Cooney "seemed" to be more useful his last year having Malachi and Lydon around him - who wouldn't. His PT went down a minute).

This is always controversial because Battle seems to have reached legend status with some, but he and Buddy’s numbers are basically identical. And oddly enough Buddy averages more rebounds and assists this year than Tyus ever did.

More guys on Buddy's team that can score. More guys on Battle's team that could rebound.

If you were to hand the ball to one guy (of those two) and say go win it...

More guys on Buddy's team that can score. More guys on Battle's team that could rebound.

If you were to hand the ball to one guy (of those two) and say go win it...
Not denying Tyus was the better one on one player, but they both played with Elijah Hughes and FWIW this team is a better rebounding team than any teams he was on. We’ve really turned that around since early in the season.

We had 3 and if Moyer didn't stink Hughes could've played there.

All this roster management stuff for some guys comes down to the gap between one TV time out.

JB has ridden shooters and scorers forever. Fine sit Tyus, who is the guy spending his time in Cuse as his backup.

(Cooney "seemed" to be more useful his last year having Malachi and Lydon around him - who wouldn't. His PT went down a minute).
Frank, Tyus who was the 3rd.
Washington was a freshman and had a medical issue.
Thorpe quit.

We literally had a walkon 3rd.
Chukwu was never getting shots.

We literally had 4 players who could shoot the ball and score that season
Battle, Howard, Brissett, Marek.

It’s why that offense sucked.

I don’t think good teams take as many inefficient bad shots as we do.
Its part of the problem.
But we aren’t really trying to compete with the best teams in the nation anymore based on how roster management has constructed our teams.
It’s been just be good enough to get in and hope to go on a run.

I think Battle is better but he was exactly the same type of player as Buddy.
Had no worries about sitting took a lot of bad shots and piled up stats.
Both are good players but their roster managements have put too much on their plates.

I would say its part of the reason we have struggled if we are trying to actually be a top team in college hoops but if the idea is to just be competitive okay.

Both are good players but their roster managements have put too much on their plates.

I would say its part of the reason we have struggled if we are trying to actually be a top team in college hoops but if the idea is to just be competitive okay.
I don’t think many people are in disagreement when it comes to JB’s roster management. If they are they are in the extreme minority.

4) Jimmy needs to finish with his left hand, at the rim, through contact. Just once, and I will call this season a success. No kidding.
5) Jesse needs to foul like it is a hockey scrum for the puck in the corner, make them feel it, hammer time, earn that foul out and make them think twice about bringing the weak sauce in there. Frank is already doing it.

Not denying Tyus was the better one on one player, but they both played with Elijah Hughes and FWIW this team is a better rebounding team than any teams he was on. We’ve really turned that around since early in the season.

We've gotten better, almost impossible not to. That being said eye test TR, PC, OB were guys I'd rather have in there for boards. Those guys didn't get leapfrogged.

Frank, Tyus who was the 3rd.
Washington was a freshman and had a medical issue.
Thorpe quit.

We literally had a walkon 3rd.
Chukwu was never getting shots.

We literally had 4 players who could shoot the ball and score that season
Battle, Howard, Brissett, Marek.

It’s why that offense sucked.

I don’t think good teams take as many inefficient bad shots as we do.
Its part of the problem.
But we aren’t really trying to compete with the best teams in the nation anymore based on how roster management has constructed our teams.
It’s been just be good enough to get in and hope to go on a run.

The 3rd guy quit and the 4th guy was a frosh. The swing guy couldn't help because we recruited a bust at forward. How many people do you honestly think we're gonna carry that can play but won't?

He's not. Watch either up close for 5 minutes. (obviously you cannot but you get my point). Battle got to his spots with so much ease in comparison to Buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom