I’m crushed but seriously how would you feel to be Rex right now? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I’m crushed but seriously how would you feel to be Rex right now?

This year, Taj has been good for a drop a game. The rest he reels in. Jackson, AET, Ish and Custis all did the same as our number 1 WR. Rex was an embarrassment out there yesterday, Taj was not. I guess you’re right about expectations. I fully expect a QB that’s been around for 6 years to be more capable.

When he was moved to TE that kind of gave an idea of his chops at qb.

To WR, I'd go further. Alec Lemon, Van Chew, Marcus Sales, Etc Phillips much less Mike Williams or the aforementioned. All of them would make that play.

Taj had 20 targets and 13 catches yesterday. Take away 4 bad throws and 1 bad drop and he was still 2 short. It's not his fault he's wr1 though, he should be wr2 or lower. Not like any of those targets could more confidently go elsewhere.

To WR, I'd go further. Alec Lemon, Van Chew, Marcus Sales, Etc Phillips much less Mike Williams or the aforementioned. All of them would make that play.

Taj had 20 targets and 13 catches yesterday. Take away 4 bad throws and 1 bad drop and he was still 2 short. It's not his fault he's wr1 though, he should be wr2 or lower. Not like any of those targets could more confidently go elsewhere.

You guys knocking Taj are out of your minds. He kept us in that game. He picked up lots of tuff 1st downs and was amazing except for one drop which is a hard catch to make. He earned my respect yesterday. He was one catch away from a legendary one man performance.

Last edited:
I’m not upset at Rex for the spike. It was seconds in the game and the clock would have just run out anyway, it was the plays before it and our Offense Coaching that is being laughed at. That is squarely on Dino and Staff!!

Rex was doing everything he could to win.
We currently live in a culture that demands blame. And here I am posting on a fan football forum, but I will continue regardless.

That said, do you really think that Gilbert did not call a play that would allow us to throw the ball in the end zone? Because I saw Syracuse receivers in the end zone on both second and third down.

The plays did not work and/or Rex did not feel compelled to pull the trigger on the throws. Give NCSU’s defense a modicum of credit in the sequence. Eleven players defending a 20-yard space does not leave a lot of room to maneuver.

What would you all have called that was so obvious? I’ll hang up and listen.

Last edited:
that’s the urban legend but it’s not true. The problem was the primary kids we were targeting were way out of our league. They went to Penn State and Miami. Then plans B, C and D also went to P5 schools closer to home. I find fault with putting all the eggs in one basket approach and having too much ground to make up on those other kids. But i don’t even know how good those other kids are, I don’t think any of them are even playing yet.
I actually don’t think it is an urban legend. I think it was clear to everyone that Devito was going to be Dino’s QB. I am sure other schools used that to recruit against us. But regardless it is all just speculation.

I actually don’t think it is an urban legend. I think it was clear to everyone that Devito was going to be Dino’s QB. I am sure other schools used that to recruit against us. But regardless it is all just speculation.
When Dungey won the starting QB spot as a freshman, just about everyone knew he would be the QB for the next three years, barring injury. When Donovan McNabb won the QB spot as a RFr, just about everyone knew he would be a four year starter. Ditto Marvin Graves. When TD signed with SU as the highest rated QB we had signed in 20 years, and an Elite 11 player, everyone knew he would take over for Dungey, everyone. And yes, coaches use these things in recruiting. They always have. They always will. And this is not unique to Babers and TD. As it turns out, TD is our best QB last year, this year, and almost certainly next year. Of course it doesn’t mean you stop recruiting QBs. SU didn’t stop. We just weren’t successful. We weren’t successful recruiting a successor to
McNabb either. It stinks. But it happens when you’re not Alabama. And yes coaches used TD against us. But I maintain they used our OL failures too, and that probably scared off more recruits than our QB situation. The only relative question is how do we correct it and bring in a couple top QB prospects now? I don’t know. You don’t know. If we did, we would be doing it for pay. I hope we do. I’m not giving up on guys on the roster, but I like Lamson and I hope we can sign another kid, maybe a transfer. But I will not fault anyone for being excited to have signed TD or for expecting the kid to be the starting QB.

Agree to disagree.

Rex should read “Playing for Pizza” by John Grisham. A fictional story similar to Rex’s bonehead final play on Saturday led Rick Dockery to a fantastic life in Italy after leaving American football.

Actually I feel bad for him. After what he has gone through in his young life. And unfortunately the only player that according to Dino we would let play QB. And then after some miracle plays in the game he theoretically ends his career with plays that will be negatively talked about by SUband non SU fans for decades.

Hang in there Rex. Life is bigger than this.

If you are bummed out over a sports result you can always ease out of it by asking that question. For us, it's an entertainment. For the players and coaches, it's their lives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom