I’m still stunned about Nykeim Johnson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I’m still stunned about Nykeim Johnson

Which is a penalty. He simulated running the ball after a fair catch signal and after making the catch.

Simulated? C’mon man, I wish I could “simulate’ that far and fast!

Is there any video of this?

I know it was asked for earlier but nothing was posted.

I sure hope that our AD speaks with those in charge of officials for the ACC. The lousy officiating, during this game, seems to be an ongoing issue. This obvious poor officiating must be addressed. I get the southern bias of the ACC and yet for this to be a viable conference; officiating must be honest, accurate and above-board!
Now my salute to the current ACC refs!

1fingersalutegiphy.gif

Just to be clear. I watched the game and saw the play. NJ is returning the ball and wham, takes a helmet to helmet blow from the tackler. NO flag comes out and I can see the SU guys are pissed, and I think, more of this ACC crooked refereeing. The next thing I see is the ref up on NJ talking crap and NJ pushed him away, sorting of like saying, you didn't protect me. And to add insult to injury, they crooks threw him out of the game. That's what I saw.

Was this the Back Judge who was shoving Cisco out of the way when he was trying to get set earlIer In the game?

He got the "opening" of the helmet, which is what they called. You can't grab any part of the helmet. Robinson grabbed the back of it.

Go look again. It looked like he grabbed the back of his jersey, up high near the top of the shoulder pads (but not over the top of shoulder pads, which is a horse collar).

Watched the NJ penalty finally. There is no way he didn’t know it was a ref. He was looking right at him. The flag was correct. The ejection was correct.

But my final point is, if the ref penalized the late hit, as he should have, that incident never happens. Especially right in front of the SU bench. Bad game management on that ref’s part. They had decided to penalize late hits/targeting earlier in the game with a quick flag. But they swallowed their whistles here. Bad job.

Just the same, you have to toss NJ regardless.

I sure hope that our AD speaks with those in charge of officials for the ACC. The lousy officiating, during this game, seems to be an ongoing issue. This obvious poor officiating must be addressed. I get the southern bias of the ACC and yet for this to be a viable conference; officiating must be honest, accurate and above-board!
Now my salute to the current ACC refs!

View attachment 173607
Ironically the acc supervisor of officials is Dennis Hennigan who is from Syracuse

I will tell you how bad the officiating was yesterday. One of the officials was calling for the Syracuse ball after a change of possession to Syracuse. The ball guy wearing an ACC pinney either did not hear the official initially or just wasn't paying attention. The official then blew his whistle very loud and long several times and yelled Where's the F... Syracuse Football. When he was finally able to locate the ball from the individual who had it, he then proceeded to call the young man (he was in his early twenties) a F... idiot. That group yesterday was indicative of ACC Football Officials. They stink!!!!!!

What I saw earlier in the game was Cisco lining up on defense in the backfield prior to the bell being snapped. He moved toward the official who also was lined up waiting for the snap. Clearly Cisco wanted to position himself to his right. The ref pushed Cisco away. I’ve never seen that. Usually a ref will move to let the player - you know the guy who actually is playing the game - to position himself as he feels necessary. The refs attitude reflected a dismissive disregard for the player and the team. Very odd.

Not sure what the bowl selection rules are but I was under the impression that Notre Dame could steal the ACC's Orange Bowl bid and there was a vested interest in having Wake Forest win the game. That was the only logical explanation I could come up with for some of the calls. Upon watching the replays most were letter of the law correct (excepting the late hit on Welch), but not within the spirit of the rule. The hit on the punt return should have been a no call. Returner was lunging forward as he caught the ball and he initiated contact. The face mask started with Alton's hand on the back of the jersey and sliding up to the helmet as the QB was going to the ground. Sometimes you have to use some semblance of judgement, right?

Not sure what the bowl selection rules are but I was under the impression that Notre Dame could steal the ACC's Orange Bowl bid and there was a vested interest in having Wake Forest win the game. That was the only logical explanation I could come up with for some of the calls. Upon watching the replays most were letter of the law correct (excepting the late hit on Welch), but not within the spirit of the rule. The hit on the punt return should have been a no call. Returner was lunging forward as he caught the ball and he initiated contact. The face mask started with Alton's hand on the back of the jersey and sliding up to the helmet as the QB was going to the ground. Sometimes you have to use some semblance of judgement, right?

i'm 99% sure ND can't take the ACC bowl bid.

Capital One Orange Bowl
The Capital One Orange Bowl will host the ACC Champion (or highest ranked ACC team not ranked in the top four against the highest ranked available team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame following team selection by the Rose (Big Ten) and Sugar (SEC) bowls.

ND can be the opponent, but the ACC is guaranteed a spot.

When it's a ref, the difference is small. You don't put yours hands on a ref, regardless of how bad they are.

Regardless of how bad they are? So if a ref forearms a player in the throat the player should just eat it and move on with his life because he’s a ref and can do whatever he wants?

Regardless of how bad they are? So if a ref forearms a player in the throat the player should just eat it and move on with his life because he’s a ref and can do whatever he wants?
Holy crap, when is the last time a ref elbowed a player in the throat? If you want to be ridiculous and go to extremes, I will concede that a player can put his hands on a ref, if the ref pulls a weapon and threatens another human being on the field. Does that satisfy you?

Now to the reasonable answer. A player can NEVER put their hands on a ref. It is a horrible precedent to even consider. The refs are outnumbered by a bunch of elite athletes that are mostly bigger and stronger and wearing protective equipment, some of which can be used as a weapon. Anything a ref could physically do to a player is likely less physical than what is happening in normal play and would be caught on camera. So again, a player can NEVER put their hands on a ref. NEVER!

Last edited:

It appears that way. They CAN take the ACC bid for the Camping World (as projected by ESPN) or any of the other tie-ins but the Orange Bowl bid is apparently protected.

Holy crap, when is the last time a ref elbowed a player in the throat? If you want to be ridiculous and go to extremes, I will concede that a player can put his hands on a ref, if the ref pulls a weapon and threatens another human being on the field. Does that satisfy you?

Now to the reasonable answer. A player can NEVER put their hands on a ref. It is a horrible precedent to even consider. The refs are outnumbered by a bunch of elite athletes that are mostly bigger and stronger and wearing protective equipment, some of which can be used as a weapon. Anything a ref could physically do to a player is likely less physical than what is happening in normal play and would be caught on camera. So again, a player can NEVER put their hands on a ref. NEVER!

We just look at things differently so it is what it is.

I will ask you this though because I think we can find common ground. Prior to the contact to the official, was our player exhibiting behavior that would have been flag-able for unsportsmanlike conduct?

When he hopped up and chased after the player he should have been flagged and it would have been within the rules. That would have been a way more effective deescalation tactic. For whatever reason the official thought it would be better to yell (who knows what) while initiate contact with an angry player. We hold the players to a standard of maintaining their bearing which is fine. My expectation is that the people in charge do as well and even more so.

We just look at things differently so it is what it is.

I will ask you this though because I think we can find common ground. Prior to the contact to the official, was our player exhibiting behavior that would have been flag-able for unsportsmanlike conduct?

When he hopped up and chased after the player he should have been flagged and it would have been within the rules. That would have been a way more effective deescalation tactic. For whatever reason the official thought it would be better to yell (who knows what) while initiate contact with an angry player. We hold the players to a standard of maintaining their bearing which is fine. My expectation is that the people in charge do as well and even more so.

Yes players immediately stop when flags get thrown. Refs never have to separate them.

Which is a penalty. He simulated running the ball after a fair catch signal and after making the catch.

yes we were going crazy for the same reason. Fair catch and he ran forward about 6 steps and ran into our guy. Crap call. Some bozo in the game thread couldn’t believe the crowd was booing for such an ‘obvious‘ call.

It should have been no call or a flag on them imo.

Yes players immediately stop when flags get thrown. Refs never have to separate them.

Let’s get technical. Per the officiating job description do they have to separate them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom