I actually saw a lot I liked tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I actually saw a lot I liked tonight

I would say the team has mostly exceeded my expectations so far this year but like others have said, my expectations were mostly low. On a player by player basis:
  • Joe - Even
  • Judah - Better, and my expectations were very high to begin with
  • Bell - Better
  • Benny - Better
  • Jesse - Worse
  • Hima - Better
  • Symir - Worse
  • Quadir - Better
  • Taylor - Worse
  • Maliq - Better

Isn’t St John’s better than at least half the ACC this year? Richmond might be too.

We have no shot against Illinois or the top 3-4 in the ACC. But I think we will win a decent amount of games this year, more than I thought coming into the year
Mike Anderson is a veteran coach who has had tourney teams everywhere he has coached and this is the 4th year of his program at St John's. They will vie for the big East title and be an NCAAT team. Additionally, they got 2 home games with that tournament being in Barclay's which made a difference for them last night.

Mike Anderson is a veteran coach who has had tourney teams everywhere he has coached and this is the 4th year of his program at St John's. They will vie for the big East title and be an NCAAT team. Additionally, they got 2 home games with that tournament being in Barclay's which made a difference for them last night.
Agree with most of this. Mike Anderson is a decent coach who’s never had a losing season, something JB can no longer claim. But disagree on the home game. that was as much a home game for us as the Johnnies. We had as many fans there as they did.

Agree with most of this. Mike Anderson is a decent coach who’s never had a losing season, something JB can no longer claim. But disagree on the home game. that was as much a home game for us as the Johnnies. We had as many fans there as they did.
I think the real advantage for a home team is they get to sleep in their own beds and keep their regular schedule and food and surroundings.

Some of you question how good St. Johns is. Great, no, but good, yes.

If you watched the game or looked at the box score you'll see numbers not many teams have with three players.

Soriano==This guy is a load for any team. Last night 19 and 14

Jones===18-13 and 6

Curbelo====23-3 and 6

And they play an aggressive style that is going to frustrate a lot of opponents.

We arguably played our best game of the year with two freshmen starters and Benny who is still learning what he needs to do.
Curbelo was really good.

Also, loved the dude's look and style.

Fun player to root for, seems like.

Agree with Dasher that these two games exceeded my expectations. But those expectations were very low.

Dasher said last night that part of Jesse’s struggles came from the departure of spread-the-floor shooting options. Agree with that.

But the same applies to Joe. Richmond last night was a bit of fool’s gold. He will be marked out by any good team we play this year.
This is my same feelings. It was fun to watch (especially compared to previous teams) because they play hard. I can enjoy that. They appear better than I originally thought, but I had this team pegged as below .500 again. I think they push to go above .500 this year.

We may get better but our competition gets much better too. Our track record of player progression hasn’t been great the past 5 years, there’s no guarantee.
I'll never understand why fans just assume, guys get older so they must be better. There is a A LOT that goes into that and I don't have much confidence in this program elevating guys.

Really? I just don’t see it

Me neither. Level of competition has to be factored in here.

Not especially impressed taking the likes of Richmond / St. John's to OT [and losing one of the games].

Bottom line -- we're 3-2, with two OOC losses already. Probably going to be a tough year, and looking worse than last year.

The competition increase we will go through will probably be less intense then some are making it out to be. ACC outside of UNC Duke and UVA is really not that good. Think our record could still be well above .500. Everyone outside of Joe Sy and Jesse is either getting their first experience with college ball or their first experience with more serious minutes. Have to keep that in mind.

Think our record could still be well above .500.
Disagree. Point differential isn't always a reliable statistic, but it's a good rough indicator. Syracuse is 11th in the ACC and the four they are ahead of are definitely worse than them. The rest of their statistics don't indicate that they're excelling at some things but aren't being reflected in points yet. They're a mediocre defense and offense.

Disagree. Point differential isn't always a reliable statistic, but it's a good rough indicator. Syracuse is 11th in the ACC and the four they are ahead of are definitely worse than them. The rest of their statistics don't indicate that they're excelling at some things but aren't being reflected in points yet. They're a mediocre defense and offense.
And we have 4 guys who we are giving serious minutes who are yet to reach their ceiling (Judah, Benny, Hima, an Bell). Not to mention Taylor and Copeland who could still show us more.

Only 2 new positives from the game:

Benny Williams really played hard...11 points/10 rebounds...against some tough characters.
Also hit a couple of nice shots...although missed a couple late.

And Mounir Hima is "The Rejector". He can be a genuine rim protector. Nice coming out party.

Worst stat of game besides Joe Girard's 1-10 shooting...Chris Bell played 34 minutes and did not have a single rebound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom