I actually saw a lot I liked tonight | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I actually saw a lot I liked tonight

I'm beating a dead horse but it seemed more obvious after last night that this team needed Swider back.

Add one reliable shooter to this team and it helps solves multiple issues

Going into the season with ZERO proven contributors at forward was a decision that could very well sink this team. Entire offense could have been constructed around Swider. Plus, you'd only then be relying upon ONE unproven, young player [be it Benny, Bell, Taylor, Brown, or whoever] to integrate into an otherwise proven nucleus.

I don't begrudge Cole Swider in any way, shape, or form for opting to pursue his NBA dreams. Betting on himself was obviously the right call, and he literally couldn't have played any better in summer league -- earning an NBA contract and making his NBA squad.

But it isn't difficult to envision him building on how he closed last season, being a legitimate go-to guy who could play off of Mintz's playmaking.

Only 2 new positives from the game:

Benny Williams really played hard...11 points/10 rebounds...against some tough characters.
Also hit a couple of nice shots...although missed a couple late.

And Mounir Hima is "The Rejector". He can be a genuine rim protector. Nice coming out party.

Worst stat of game besides Joe Girard's 1-10 shooting...Chris Bell played 34 minutes and did not have a single rebound.
Bell’s shooting though has to be considered a real plus too. JB told us he was a very good shooter but until last night we never saw it. I agree not getting even one rebound is an almost impossible horrible feat though. He’s obviously adjusting - as I keep saying it will take time and patience with these youngsters. They need to find other ways to help their team when the shots aren’t falling,

A Deadman could get 0 rebounds at sf.
Benny cannot drive.
We will be 500 vs unranked teams and lose to ranked ones. So sad.
Judah will leave for pros, if he can.

Disagree. Point differential isn't always a reliable statistic, but it's a good rough indicator. Syracuse is 11th in the ACC and the four they are ahead of are definitely worse than them. The rest of their statistics don't indicate that they're excelling at some things but aren't being reflected in points yet. They're a mediocre defense and offense.
Largely meaningless stat, imo. I’d rather look at KenPom and BPI, though early in the season those are less reliable. But they at least gauge efficiency.

Last edited:
Going into the season with ZERO proven contributors at forward was a decision that could very well sink this team. Entire offense could have been constructed around Swider. Plus, you'd only then be relying upon ONE unproven, young player [be it Benny, Bell, Taylor, Brown, or whoever] to integrate into an otherwise proven nucleus.

I don't begrudge Cole Swider in any way, shape, or form for opting to pursue his NBA dreams. Betting on himself was obviously the right call, and he literally couldn't have played any better in summer league -- earning an NBA contract and making his NBA squad.

But it isn't difficult to envision him building on how he closed last season, being a legitimate go-to guy who could play off of Mintz's playmaking.

And make Jesse's life a lot easier too

A Deadman could get 0 rebounds at sf.
Benny cannot drive.
We will be 500 vs unranked teams and lose to ranked ones. So sad.
Judah will leave for pros, if he can.
Pretty disappointing response 5 games into the season. This is a young team and we all knew it going in. Yes, we really needed Cole to return or an experienced forward out of the portal, and that’s on JB for poor roster construction, but let’s see how these guys develop.

Pretty disappointing response 5 games into the season. This is a young team and we all knew it going in. Yes, we really needed Cole to return or an experienced forward out of the portal, and that’s on JB for poor roster construction, but let’s see how these guys develop.
LOL Judah will leave for the pros if he can???? So will every other player in America. That isn't breaking news. Not directed at you Sherman. The guy that you responded to.

Bell’s shooting though has to be considered a real plus too. JB told us he was a very good shooter but until last night we never saw it. I agree not getting even one rebound is an almost impossible horrible feat though. He’s obviously adjusting - as I keep saying it will take time and patience with these youngsters. They need to find other ways to help their team when the shots aren’t falling,
Now you're starting to be too realistic, Cheri. :p

Worst stat of game besides Joe Girard's 1-10 shooting...Chris Bell played 34 minutes and did not have a single rebound.

Chris Bell had 12 points, played 35 minutes with only 1 turnover, and added an assist. He played with effort. If he was SO terrible on the boards, then why didn't Boeheim bring in Maliq Brown?

I am more optimistic now than I was pre-season.

There has been improvement over the first 5 games. Given the youth/inexperience of this squad (and I include Hima), the defense should get better as the season progresses. I'm not sure that the offense will come along to the same extent, but my fingers are crossed.

St John's is a more mature, physically strong group than our guys are, but that was to be expected as we wheeled a bunch of teenagers (Mintz, Bell, a bit of Copeland) out there against the Johnnies' upperclassmen. Plus games consecutive days--both going into OT--helped wear our players down. Judah was pretty much shot the last 10 minutes, and our offense is going nowhere without him at this point.

I hope the so-far little-used frosh can make some strides in practice to the extent that they can help in spot duty as the season progresses.

And, the ACC might be even weaker top-to-bottom than it was last year.

Chris Bell had 12 points, played 35 minutes with only 1 turnover, and added an assist. He played with effort. If he was SO terrible on the boards, then why didn't Boeheim bring in Maliq Brown?
Brown has to be hurt right?

Mike Anderson is a veteran coach who has had tourney teams everywhere he has coached and this is the 4th year of his program at St John's. They will vie for the big East title and be an NCAAT team. Additionally, they got 2 home games with that tournament being in Barclay's which made a difference for them last night.
Ok, you sold me. Sign him up for the Orange in 2023-24.

You’d think Bell shot 4-8 or something, dude went 2-7 from three. Our standards are shot.

I'm beating a dead horse but it seemed more obvious after last night that this team needed Swider back.

Add one reliable shooter to this team and it helps solves multiple issues
The 2003 team had Melo and Warrick starting at the forwards. Duany was the only Senior. This team has 3 seniors. Neither of the forwards(2003) had any college experience, and that turned out well because the Freshman were BALLERS and dogs. Experience is overrated.

Everyone keeps saying that this years team needs to “grow” and “get better”. That very well could be true, but anyone that thinks a team needs senior leadership to excel is flat out wrong based on what that team showed. You need great players. This team has 4 stars starting at every position, and 4 star guys backing up a few slots. It’s a solid group of guys that need time. Mintz is a stud, but the rest of the guys need to develop as a team. What I think is lacking is an alpha dog type forward. Melo and warrick had the alpha mentality. I just don’t see that with any forward or center. The only guy that has it is Mintz. I look back at that 2003 roster and every guy 1-8 was a DOG. ‘Cuse basketball has gone after soft players of late. It’s just how it’s been. I hope it changes and these guys get nasty, because that is what it takes.

Ok, you sold me. Sign him up for the Orange in 2023-24.
Hard to see him wanting to make another new start. I'm sure he gets top shelf treatment everywhere he goes in NYC, which are some major perks, probably gets paid pretty well too. He's definitely an A level coach, I think Langel and Mooney are as well. You play programs coached by guys of that caliber, your going to have tough games. Got another one Saturday with Grasso and Bryant. Team had better be ready, they brought in some very good portal players.

The 2003 team had Melo and Warrick starting at the forwards. Duany was the only Senior. This team has 3 seniors. Neither of the forwards(2003) had any college experience, and that turned out well because the Freshman were BALLERS and dogs. Experience is overrated.

Everyone keeps saying that this years team needs to “grow” and “get better”. That very well could be true, but anyone that thinks a team needs senior leadership to excel is flat out wrong based on what that team showed. You need great players. This team has 4 stars starting at every position, and 4 star guys backing up a few slots. It’s a solid group of guys that need time. Mintz is a stud, but the rest of the guys need to develop as a team. What I think is lacking is an alpha dog type forward. Melo and warrick had the alpha mentality. I just don’t see that with any forward or center. The only guy that has it is Mintz. I look back at that 2003 roster and every guy 1-8 was a DOG. ‘Cuse basketball has gone after soft players of late. It’s just how it’s been. I hope it changes and these guys get nasty, because that is what it takes.

My post was more about this team lacking another shooter rather than senior experience. Our offense was dreadful when St Johns went to a zone in the 2nd half. Teams can collapse to Jesse when Judah tries to drive and then he's out of options. If Joe isn't hitting shots from outside, who can we rely on to? Bell?

I think you’re both right. I think there was a lot to like compared to the first couple of games…and still not be a very good overall product.
Yeah that’s a good point.

I think you’re both right. I think there was a lot to like compared to the first couple of games…and still not be a very good overall product.
Good post. Compared to the first couple of games, there was a night and day difference in defensive intensity, with a few occasional exceptions.

It looks like the M2M "experiment" is already over. I think that's a mistake relative to long term success this season. But, it takes a ton of practice time and dedication to get really good at man. I don't think JB has the patience for that.

Mintz is special.

It looks like the M2M "experiment" is already over. I think that's a mistake relative to long term success this season. But, it takes a ton of practice time and dedication to get really good at man. I don't think JB has the patience for that.
Mintz is special.
How much practice time does it take to play man to man 99% of the teams in the nation play it and most teams can mix in zone when they need to as well.
Why can’t we do that? It seems it’s just an answer the Coach gives to shut people who want some man to man mixed in up.

If we can’t mix defenses in practice what are doing in practice? I don’t see many offense sets. We run the offense thru Jesse when on the floor and rely on Mintz playmaking and Girard/Bell shooting.

We can mix defenses but Coach just doesn’t want too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom