I am confidant that the coaches have a plan | Syracusefan.com

I am confidant that the coaches have a plan

dasher

Living Legend
With the departures of both KJ and Chino, I have to think the coaches have some plans in place to replace those ships. I am also confidant that Mali will return. I have heard from people that while Mali will probably test the waters, he will have to be sure that he will go in the top 20 picks to leave. I don't think he will be a top 20 pick guy. Maybe he is and if he is, he leaves. But i don't think so. Suddenly, we have plenty of ships.

all this has happened before
all this will happen again

cylon-gif.gif

With the departures of both KJ and Chino, I have to think the coaches have some plans in place to replace those ships. I am also confidant that Mali will return. I have heard from people that while Mali will probably test the waters, he will have to be sure that he will go in the top 20 picks to leave. I don't think he will be a top 20 pick guy. Maybe he is and if he is, he leaves. But i don't think so. Suddenly, we have plenty of ships.

Mali sounds like he's getting good advice.

I'm sure the coaches knew about Chino and KJ as well.

I have faith that we'll fill out the roster.

We are in shape to grab a huge 2017 class, even with the scholly limits.

We have 3 scholarships available now. Let's say we get a high school kid with one of them (Thompson maybe), that leaves 2 that we'll probably fill with grad transfers who will just be here for a year. Then, we have Richardson and Lydon almost certainly leaving sometime before the 2017 season, with DC2 and Roberson definitely leaving. That's 4 more schollies for a total of 6. If Tyus leaves, we're at 7.

6-7 scholarships to work with for 2017 is insane! It could be a bad thing if we whiff on a bunch of recruits, but I'll count it as a plus. Unlike at times in the past, we can go to truly elite recruits and say, "hey, we can guarantee you'll start and see the court for 30 mpg, and we have other spots open for elite player X and elite player Y to play alongside you." Not to get too far ahead of myself, but if ever we were going to land a class with a superstar and/or multiple guys in the top 25, 2017 is it. Diagne should be available at that time, too.

Not sure what the plan is for 2017 though. We have little, to no depth. Thompson doesn't seem likely, unless he doesn't mind not playing much as a freshman. I'm guessing we really push for Dembele, though I'm not sure how likely that is.

No matter what, we do need to add some depth. Grad transfers make the most sense, even if they are just depth kind of like what Pitt had this past year.

We are in shape to grab a huge 2017 class, even with the scholly limits.

We have 3 scholarships available now. Let's say we get a high school kid with one of them (Thompson maybe), that leaves 2 that we'll probably fill with grad transfers who will just be here for a year. Then, we have Richardson and Lydon almost certainly leaving sometime before the 2017 season, with DC2 and Roberson definitely leaving. That's 4 more schollies for a total of 6. If Tyus leaves, we're at 7.

6-7 scholarships to work with for 2017 is insane! It could be a bad thing if we whiff on a bunch of recruits, but I'll count it as a plus. Unlike at times in the past, we can go to truly elite recruits and say, "hey, we can guarantee you'll start and see the court for 30 mpg, and we have other spots open for elite player X and elite player Y to play alongside you." Not to get too far ahead of myself, but if ever we were going to land a class with a superstar and/or multiple guys in the top 25, 2017 is it. Diagne should be available at that time, too.

Yep...That class is going to really decide how the JB to Hop transition goes. I think we really need to have a monster class, maybe not in terms of high end talent, but we can't miss on kids. There will be so little certainty going into the '17-'18 season, and we'll absolutely need some impact freshmen or we're looking at a terrible year. Now if we knock that class out of the park, we would be in great shape going forward.

Not sure what the plan is for 2017 though. We have little, to no depth. Thompson doesn't seem likely, unless he doesn't mind not playing much as a freshman. I'm guessing we really push for Dembele, though I'm not sure how likely that is.

No matter what, we do need to add some depth. Grad transfers make the most sense, even if they are just depth kind of like what Pitt had this past year.
Is Dembele any good? His offer list isn't very impressive.

Is Dembele any good? His offer list isn't very impressive.
Beats me?!?! Have never seen him play. Seems like a late bloomer that is still adjusting to his body. Iowa St, Arkansas, Providence, NC State are decent offers, not high end.

O they have a plan, we don't know yet, but we will be pleased by the outcome, I have trust in the staff.

Beats me?!?! Have never seen him play. Seems like a late bloomer that is still adjusting to his body. Iowa St, Arkansas, Providence, NC State are decent offers, not high end.
True. Seems like recruiting just to have a body. 3 star with an offer list we shouldn't really be associated with. However, maybe he is a late bloomer and the staff sees that.

I would agree that there is a plan. Probably multiple plans and backup plans. I'm sure the staff has know for quite a while that its highly likely Mali will be back along with Lydon. They also have known that Kaleb and Chino would transfer. We are still pursuing some 16 kids but we have also been looking into free agents. I am pretty high on the core group of 8 that we know we will have.

I'm not sure Thompson wouldn't play his freshman year. I think Chukwu is a bit raw and if DC2 can't play a bunch of minutes then that leaves us with Lydon playing some in the middle along with the wing. Then we have Roberson on the other wing with Moyer spelling him. If Roberson gets into foul trouble or has a few really bad games and needs to come out which seems possible then we would need someone else to take minutes.

I hope the plan includes signing a Damion Lee level transfer if Malachi bolts or we are going to be right back to the middle of the pack of ACC for the third straight year.

I'm sure the coaches do have a plan. But its not like we're replacing guys who put in big minutes in Kj and Chin. If we can get one contributor out of them two leaving its a huge plus.

in Jim we Trust

Belief without evidence. But in Boeheim's case, there actually is plenty of evidence. I'm excited! We just need Mal to stay another year and watch out!

Who are the top 2017 targets? All I've seen are:
Diallo SG ESPN #14
Green PG ESPN #41

Naz Reid is 2018 class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online