I believe Boeheim will speak to fans before game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I believe Boeheim will speak to fans before game

The moment will be organic. I remember the first Duke game at the Dome where K and JB cape out of opposing tunnels like prizefighters and hugged and the place went nuts. It’ll be something like that but no more.

If my parent got accidentally struck by a driver the last thing I would want is to stand next to him while 30,000 strangers clap. I’d almosr feel insulted. They lost a family member, there is no connection with JB here

Then if SU asked you if you wanted to be honored in this fashion, you would say "no thanks." Which is same thing this family could do if they felt the same way. But maybe they're huge SU basketball fans and this could be a brief emotional escape in any otherwise gut-wrenching week. I was thinking about it mostly through the lens of his 10 year old and 5 year old grandkids.

The PA announcer will say “we will have a moment of silence” before the anthem and then it’s over.

There are still investigations happening. Acknowledgement by the institution and then that’s it for the day.
and the looming possibility of lawsuits

I would be fine with it. And I’ve been to sporting events where the families of fallen first responders on 9/11 and also Iraq/Afghanistan were honored and everyone gave them a thunderous applause and you could see they appreciated it. At no point did anyone think “this is so undignified.”

Generally not before the fallen has even been buried.

Then if SU asked you if you wanted to be honored in this fashion, you would say "no thanks." Which is same thing this family could do if they felt the same way. But maybe they're huge SU basketball fans and this could be a brief emotional escape in any otherwise gut-wrenching week. I was thinking about it mostly through the lens of his 10 year old and 5 year old grandkids.

Based on the fact that the guys son said JB shouldn't be coaching tomorrow and the game should be cancelled I don't think the family is exactly members of this board.

my $ is on JB doing the usual routine until grabbing the mike to lead a moment of silence. Good middle ground of avoiding the bad optics (with the universities interests in mind plus himself) of coaching as usual like nothing happened vs. not being there or coaching at all. Those of you who think it's going to be business as usual are mistaken.

Last edited:
Based on the fact that the guys son said JB shouldn't be coaching tomorrow and the game should be cancelled I don't think the family is exactly members of this board.
yep as for the rest of us (and with full credit to the OT board Moquis post for this bit of genius!), get out there and win one for the Picker!

and the looming possibility of lawsuits

This exactly. Except I’d amend that to the certainty of lawsuits.

And by game time, I’m not sure JB will have even been cleared of criminal exposure, although I realize that possibility is extremely remote.

No way

Don't make this about you. Don't go for cheap applause. I would be very shocked if JB ever wanted to draw any more attention to himself than he already has to.

hes going to get the cheap applause as soon as he walks on the court anyway.

its awkward if he makes a comment. it may be more awkward if he doesnt. Im glad im not in SU leadership right now, thats for sure. there is no playbook.

I believe that before the game starts tomorrow night, coach will use the Dome PA microphone to speak to the fans and offer his condolences to Wednesday night's victim. Just a gut feeling. I just think it would be a great way to help him heal and hopefully help everyone get their minds off the situation, somewhat, at least for two hours.

Oh goodness no.

I interpreted it as he would have Jorge's family out there with him and they would be ones on the receiving end of the applause.

I think we have lost perspective here.

A family just lost a loved one. Less than 72 hours ago.

Rolling them out to a big college basketball game to be next to the person who accidentally killed him to get applause in front of 35,000+ strangers is absolutely not the right thing to orchestrate.

Rolling them out.

“Rolling them out” suggests that they wouldn’t like the idea. That is literally the opposite of what I am suggesting.

I’d say as many stated there may be a moment of silence before tip but I can’t imagine JB addressing the crowd at that time at all. Post game press conf he’ll lead w a prepared statement focusing on the family and their loss while appeciating the support from friends/fam/fans and finish w no further questions on the subject and move questions to about the game. He’ll continue to get a couple questions about the incident but not really comment further because pending investigation/litigation etc.

This exactly. Except I’d amend that to the certainty of lawsuits.

And by game time, I’m not sure JB will have even been cleared of criminal exposure, although I realize that possibility is extremely remote.
No tickets. Zero BAC. He's clear.

If his bac is zero and he wasn't speeding what did he do wrong?
I’m not saying he did anything wrong. You’re over analyzing. Just saying I think there’s usually a pretty high bar to clear when any pedestrian is hit. Even if the pedestrian might be the one responsible.

I’m not saying he did anything wrong. You’re over analyzing. Just saying I think there’s usually a pretty high bar to clear when any pedestrian is hit. Even if the pedestrian might be the one responsible.
Icy conditions at night I don't think its that high of a bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom