I bet Marrone surprises us all with the close to this class.. | Syracusefan.com

I bet Marrone surprises us all with the close to this class..

bothsocksup

Starter
This is totally a hunch, but i think Doug closes really strong on this class and makes a raelly good early impression for the kids of 2012. I think he winds up being our most important recruiter

Im thinking Morris, Morgan, and possibly Johnson? the Juco DE

It will be a miracle if HCDM pulls this off given the 2nd half season swoon. It will go a long way to restoring some faith in him if he closes strong on the recruiting front. Not sure he gets another year if the team craps the bed next season.

When he is closing, hopefully he shows more enthusiasm than he does on the sidelines. Seriously.

If Marrone can get Morris Morgan and Manley that would be a pretty good close. If all three sign this might be the best class top to bottom in 10 years. There might not be a single first day superstar but once season ending evaluations are done will be a lot of three star guys. Whigham and Barnwell were both given an extra star by one site last week. This class has a nice balance of players with one or two guys at every position.

Is this the opinion you formed after many scouting trips and hours of meticulous film study? Or by counting stars?
why the attitude?

what has marrone and staff done to impress on the recruiting front? nothing more than GRob or PP his last few years

my statement is based on the fact that he will get two contributors and fill out the class with 'potential' special teamers ... who are we involved with that is going to come in and compete right away outside Morgan and Morris -- Perkins? That is a LOOOOONNNNGGG shot.

He has recruited for the most part 2 star players according to the services -- and the services are right ... because his 3 star players have not suplanted GROB's 2 star players. We relied on GROB's players this year. None of Marrone's players made significant contributions on offense - None.

I would not say any of his D players impressed this year either. They were serviceable, but that is it

Is this the opinion you formed after many scouting trips and hours of meticulous film study? Or by counting stars?

Trust Dougie right? Look how that has played out so far. Give me the five stars baby.

Morgan, Morris and Manley. The law firm closes out the class and defends Coach Marrone in the case of him being a bad recruiter.

He has recruited for the most part 2 star players according to the services -- and the services are right ... because his 3 star players have not suplanted GROB's 2 star players. We relied on GROB's players this year. None of Marrone's players made significant contributions on offense - None.

Because GROB's recruits are Juniors and Seniors, with four years of full time practices and S&C. The bulk of Marrone's recruits are Freshmen and Sophomores. Many of them are still developmental projects, who need time to grow.

Projects is key word ... we need immediate contributors

Trust Dougie right? Look how that has played out so far. Give me the five stars baby.

Who is bringing 5-star players regularly to the cuse again? Or 4-star players for that matter? I mean, this side of Urban Meyer or someone that won't coach here. I agree -- I'd love 5-star kids. That is a much different argument than simply saying "trust in dougie." The bottom line is that we have to trust in someone to evaluate talent b/c bringing a steady stream of top 250 kids through the door simply isn't happening, at least not without a period of sustained success and/or a huge name coach.

why the attitude?

what has marrone and staff done to impress on the recruiting front? nothing more than GRob or PP his last few years

my statement is based on the fact that he will get two contributors and fill out the class with 'potential' special teamers ... who are we involved with that is going to come in and compete right away outside Morgan and Morris -- Perkins? That is a LOOOOONNNNGGG shot.

I would not say any of his D players impressed this year either. They were serviceable, but that is it

It's not as much attitude as fact. I'm merely pointing out that you haven't scouted the players you're flippantly disparaging. That's it. My review of DM's recruiting? Eh, not great. But, as I've pointed out before, we're really only talking about 1 full class that had been on campus for a full year when this season started. That class was defense and line heavy. So his one class of true frosh last year plus the group of sophs wasn't great (yet). I'm not sure that's enough of a sample to label someone a terrible recruiter.

Projects is key word ... we need immediate contributors

This is my point -- you don't think DM would love to bring in immediate contributors? Could he be better (and have been better to this point)? Yes. But the simple truth is most kids we get could really benefit from a redshirt year.

I think if we don't lose anybody, and land Morgan and Morris, that's tremendous. Most of our commitments would be talented, projectable, and productive at their current level. We aren't getting polished players, so if we have to rate the coaches on their ability to recruit what's left, I don't think our class would be bad at all.

Who is bringing 5-star players regularly to the cuse again? Or 4-star players for that matter? I mean, this side of Urban Meyer or someone that won't coach here. I agree -- I'd love 5-star kids. That is a much different argument than simply saying "trust in dougie." The bottom line is that we have to trust in someone to evaluate talent b/c bringing a steady stream of top 250 kids through the door simply isn't happening, at least not without a period of sustained success and/or a huge name coach.

If someone expects a Syracuse football recruiting class to be closed out with 5 star players, then they're either smoking crack or enjoy being perpetually disappointed. You need a draw to do that and we don't currently have it. We don't have a legendary coach, we don't have a history of recent success and we're a middling BCS program at best right now. We don't have an SEC gameday experience and we don't have facilities that wow recruits. The developmental route is the only route until we have a draw.

The Vandy coach seems to be able to bring in a bunch of 4 star guys in his first year, also got an official visit from 5 star QB Gunner Kiel. Great conference and great school, with bad facilities and no history of FB success. The coach has one of the highest levels of enthusiasm you' ll ever see.

why the attitude?

For those fixated on stars:

Rate 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
4 2 3 0 0 0 1
3 5 4 1 9 11 10
2 17 18 9 20 13 10

Any trend there?

2012 note(I assigned a 3 to Broyld based on last year, and Ford will be elevated supposedly)

Question: Does anyone here still believe "In Doug We Trust"?

This past season did alot of damage to HCDM's credibility. In my mind, Doug established himself as being very average coach and recruiter this past season. Nothing he has done to date has proven me wrong.

For those fixated on stars:

Rate 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
4 2 3 0 0 0 1
3 5 4 1 9 11 10
2 17 18 9 20 13 10

Any trend there?

2012 note(I assigned a 3 to Broyld based on last year, and Ford will be elevated supposedly)

Solid post, thanks for this.

Question: Does anyone here still believe "In Doug We Trust"?

This past season did alot of damage to HCDM's credibility. In my mind, Doug established himself as being very average coach and recruiter this past season. Nothing he has done to date has proven me wrong.

Sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom