I bet Marrone surprises us all with the close to this class.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I bet Marrone surprises us all with the close to this class..

The Vandy coach seems to be able to bring in a bunch of 4 star guys in his first year, also got an official visit from 5 star QB Gunner Kiel. Great conference and great school, with bad facilities and no history of FB success. The coach has one of the highest levels of enthusiasm you' ll ever see.
Good point -- a head coach with positive energy/positive thinking can add a new gear to the recruiting. Coach Mac had the Dome as a facilities upgrade, but he also brought that positive energy that could persuade kids and families. Get him out on a home visit, and he could sell his program.
It is different this time (Doug is solid, not charismatic), but Doug is making progress with linemen (will start to show this Spring when the OL recruits from last year compete for spots), linebackers, and an occasional skill kid. Thompson is the highest rated TE we have landed in a long time. Broyld and MacFarlane will add juice to the offense. Desir and Eskridge will play a lot in the secondary next year.
It is easy to seize on the 5 game losing streak and just see the negatives. With orange-colored glasses, I am expecting some of Doug's recruits will make some moves in the Spring and we will start to feel better.

Because GROB's recruits are Juniors and Seniors, with four years of full time practices and S&C. The bulk of Marrone's recruits are Freshmen and Sophomores. Many of them are still developmental projects, who need time to grow.
Yes, you would expect that his recruits will begin to have their impact starting this coming year. Then we can see what his evaluation abilities are. It is a little disconcerting that some of his guys are already being relegated to mia status or are rumored to be leaving. But maybe that is to be expected. There are going to be some misses when you are bringing in kids with potential.

For those fixated on stars:

Rate 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
4 2 3 0 0 0 1
3 5 4 1 9 11 10
2 17 18 9 20 13 10

Any trend there?

2012 note(I assigned a 3 to Broyld based on last year, and Ford will be elevated supposedly)

Good post Go

There are a couple of two star kids in line for bumps in addition to Ford..not sure if they will but here's my list:

James Washington- two stars with offers from South Carolina, Purdue, Illinois, WVU, Pitt, Cincy, etc
Omari Palmer- maybe, maybe not
Tashon Whitehurst- will be here this weekend for his official- nice offer list

I don't expect any signing day surprises, but adding Morgan and Morris would be a solid finish and fill needs...

The Vandy coach seems to be able to bring in a bunch of 4 star guys in his first year, also got an official visit from 5 star QB Gunner Kiel. Great conference and great school, with bad facilities and no history of FB success. The coach has one of the highest levels of enthusiasm you' ll ever see.

Is Vandy a place he will stay at? not implying anything, more curious if anyone has insight...Franklin was at Maryland before I think?

It is a little disconcerting that some of his guys are already being relegated to mia status or are rumored to be leaving. But maybe that is to be expected. There are going to be some misses when you are bringing in kids with potential.

I think it is expected. HCDM strung together a HUGE recruiting class without much access to these guys as juniors. They needed players and not all of them were going to pan out. I don't expect this phenomenon to happen again.

It's interesting the charisma type topic keeps popping up. I think there is an assumption, that at this point might be unfounded but I could be wrong, that Marrone has no charisma. The 2 biggest reasons I see people posting this is 1 - his sideline demeanor and 2 - fans are unhappy with the record this year.

I'm not happy with the record and I'm really disappointed in what's happened this year but at the same time it's pretty silly to call Marrone out for not having enough charisma. Very few people on this board, if anyone, knows what Marrone is like everyday in practice or out on the recruiting trail. His sideline demeanor is no indication of how he is off the field. He may not be charismatic but I guarentee that most of the people posting that that is a fault of his have no clue whether they are correct or not.

The few times i have met him i have been impressed. Seems well spoken, sincere, and has a passion for his school. Im sure that with the right kid and especially parents Doug comes across well. His game day approach is completely different as he seems detached with little or no fire.

I mentioned charisma based on sideline demeanor, but also based on the way Doug handles press conferences and the Syracuse Sidelines show. Solid, good guy, sincere and low key -- and just not in the same class as Coach Mac (in his prime) on the charisma scale.

I would like to be wrong about this, because I believe one key to recruiting is making the case to kids and families that a program is about to be a lot more exciting than it has been.

I mentioned charisma based on sideline demeanor, but also based on the way Doug handles press conferences and the Syracuse Sidelines show. Solid, good guy, sincere and low key -- and just not in the same class as Coach Mac (in his prime) on the charisma scale.

I would like to be wrong about this, because I believe one key to recruiting is making the case to kids and families that a program is about to be a lot more exciting than it has been.

Just because he isn't lightening up rooms doesn't mean he isn't selling the program. He's honest and sincere. That has to resonate too.

Question: Does anyone here still believe "In Doug We Trust"?

This past season did alot of damage to HCDM's credibility. In my mind, Doug established himself as being very average coach and recruiter this past season. Nothing he has done to date has proven me wrong.
I trust DM a lot more than I trust you. Seriously, if you can't see the improvements in talent being made each year, the steady big picture progress being made, you aren't paying attention. The only major concerns I have about the program are

1) ability to fund raise (that is a Dr Gross responsibility he really needs to work on)
and
2) the scheme on offense

If you look at the QBs he has been going after recently, I think he is planning on making changes here. Not sure what they are and what the scheme will eventually turn out to be, but having a mobile QB on the field does a lot of positives things for the offense, and even if we stay with what we are running now, I think we can be successful with some improvements in the WR and RB corp (along with the addition of a mobile QB).

I like the direction we are headed with the OL. I like the direction of the defense. I like the commitment to get a kicker who can consistently get the ball into the endzone on KOs (the other problems with special teams can be largely addressed as depth/talent improves and we are able to put better athletes on the coverage and return teams).

I think it is expected. HCDM strung together a HUGE recruiting class without much access to these guys as juniors. They needed players and not all of them were going to pan out. I don't expect this phenomenon to happen again.

Yeah, this is a good point. I remember Weis' first class was like 27 players. The results were pretty blah. He later proved himself to be an outstanding recruiter but that first class was a bit ugly due to the desperate need for numbers.

Just because he isn't lightening up rooms doesn't mean he isn't selling the program. He's honest and sincere. That has to resonate too.

I don't want to speak for the original poster but I think the idea is simply that DM isn't a super charismatic Bobby Bowden or Lou Holtz-type and I don't think he's hired a lot of coaches in that mold.

That's actually fine and he can certainly still be out selling the program, but I think the improvements will be more gradual. And when you're on five-game losing streaks to the likes of Rutgers and Pitt, etc., patience is at a premium with a fan base.

Have you seen the girls at Vandy? I walked around that campus for about 30 mins. while at sales meetings in nashville and literally have been trying to erase it from my memory ever since. I live in fear that I"m going to end up buying a plane ticket to nashville just to walk around that campus for an afternoon.

That's actually fine and he can certainly still be out selling the program, but I think the improvements will be more gradual. And when you're on five-game losing streaks to the likes of Rutgers and Pitt, etc., patience is at a premium with a fan base.

That's the answer. This has to be gradual. There's nothing flashy about Syracuse- not the team, the city, the campus, the coach, etc. I think HCDM is approaching this the right way.

I don't want to speak for the original poster but I think the idea is simply that DM isn't a super charismatic Bobby Bowden or Lou Holtz-type and I don't think he's hired a lot of coaches in that mold.

Right -- I am positive about DM and agree also with TomCat that good things are happening at a gradual pace.
Doug has to build the base, and that happens in the lines and the LBs. This team needs to get bigger and tougher. He also has to bring in better skill guys and at least 3 or 4 highly rated recruits at the top of each class.
If Doug isn't bringing a surplus of charisma, he needs assistants who can bring it. Wheatley and Conley have some of that.
Now, to be frank, Doug could also help himself by understanding that some sideline excitement, and a more upbeat attitude on his Syracuse Sidelines segment, would make a positive impression on recruits and parents. He does Syracuse Sidelines to promote himself and the program. So, have some Newhouse kids critique the show and offer some pointers.

Point taken but again, Vandy is in the SEC which in itself is a draw. If you put all the pros and cons of comparing SU vs. any of the southern SEC/BIG 12/ACC schools, it's amazing any coach here would be able to land a recruit with offers from those schools. If Marrone gets to the point where 6+ kids in his classes have that type of profile, he should be put up on a pedestal and worshipped as a recruiting god.

Question: Does anyone here still believe "In Doug We Trust"?

This past season did alot of damage to HCDM's credibility. In my mind, Doug established himself as being very average coach and recruiter this past season. Nothing he has done to date has proven me wrong.
I don't follow your negativity. The caliber of our recruits should come as no surprise to anyone like yourself who has closely followed such things.

What the data clearly show is an increase in 3 Star recruits and a corresponding decrease in 2 Star recruits. I think we can all agree this is a positive trend. The sprinkling of 4 Star players early in Marrone's tenure included guys like Pierce, Tucker, Collier and Sales who barely saw the field, and besides there really is no trend to speak of. I would also point out that the data for this year are incomplete with respect to both the players signed and their final ranking, which if anything will strengthen the positive trend.

And when you're on five-game losing streaks to the likes of Rutgers and Pitt, etc., patience is at a premium with a fan base.

not to nit pick, but Rutgers wasn't in our 5 game losing streak. tomato, tamato.

What we need is for ESPN to release positive press about Al Davis' $35 million gift to the football program at SU. Would be frigging phenomenal for everything SU football.

Then I woke up.

What we need is for ESPN to release positive press about Al Davis' $35 million gift to the football program at SU. Would be frigging phenomenal for everything SU football.

Then I woke up.

Keep sleeping and I'll wake you up when that happens.

It's interesting the charisma type topic keeps popping up. I think there is an assumption, that at this point might be unfounded but I could be wrong, that Marrone has no charisma. The 2 biggest reasons I see people posting this is 1 - his sideline demeanor and 2 - fans are unhappy with the record this year.

I'm not happy with the record and I'm really disappointed in what's happened this year but at the same time it's pretty silly to call Marrone out for not having enough charisma. Very few people on this board, if anyone, knows what Marrone is like everyday in practice or out on the recruiting trail. His sideline demeanor is no indication of how he is off the field. He may not be charismatic but I guarentee that most of the people posting that that is a fault of his have no clue whether they are correct or not.
I've seen his tv show. He lacks charisma. It's pretty unwatchable even for soemone who bleeds orange.

Point taken but again, Vandy is in the SEC which in itself is a draw. If you put all the pros and cons of comparing SU vs. any of the southern SEC/BIG 12/ACC schools, it's amazing any coach here would be able to land a recruit with offers from those schools. If Marrone gets to the point where 6+ kids in his classes have that type of profile, he should be put up on a pedestal and worshipped as a recruiting god.

You will see player take their only SEC offer from a Kent or Vandy over much better ACC programs.

Is Vandy a place he will stay at? not implying anything, more curious if anyone has insight...Franklin was at Maryland before I think?
The Vandy coach, James Franklin, was the coach in waiting at Maryland and they then fired Ralph Fridgeon. He got the HC at Vandy Jan. 2011. Immediately signed 4-4 star guys. Because of his immediate success in recruiting, and a 6-6 season, narrow losses to Ark. Ga. FL. and SC, going to a bowl (beat Wake at Wake 41-7), and continued success in this current class, ranked 18th by Rivals, for those who believe in that, he was recently rewarded with a new contract ( after the one season) and announced plans by the Vice-Chancellor for facility upgrades-indoor practice facility, field turf, jumbotron, etc. They have decided to pay to play. So he probably stays put for a while

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom