I bet Marrone surprises us all with the close to this class.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I bet Marrone surprises us all with the close to this class..

Have you seen the girls at Vandy? I walked around that campus for about 30 mins. while at sales meetings in nashville and literally have been trying to erase it from my memory ever since. I live in fear that I"m going to end up buying a plane ticket to nashville just to walk around that campus for an afternoon.
Best looking girls of any private school. I am an alum and have a kid there now, and its still the same. You should go on the Vanderbilt athletic website and look at the women on the various sports teams. Not only are the teams nationally ranked, but easy on the eyes

DM closing out with likes of below the radar. Get some twinkerbell dust for your fantasies.

Who is bringing 5-star players regularly to the cuse again? Or 4-star players for that matter? I mean, this side of Urban Meyer or someone that won't coach here. I agree -- I'd love 5-star kids. That is a much different argument than simply saying "trust in dougie." The bottom line is that we have to trust in someone to evaluate talent b/c bringing a steady stream of top 250 kids through the door simply isn't happening, at least not without a period of sustained success and/or a huge name coach.

Maybe we haven't given Marrone enough time, but I don't see much success in Doug's ability to evaluate talent. We may have perhaps a handful at best that play like true 4 stars (definitely no 5 stars). If I don't see more of his under the radar types producing and winning games next season then we can probably agree he doesn't have it.

I always wondered what IB looked like. :)

Brings a tear to my eye... I love that, always have. I prefer a much more laid back approach but great for entertainment purposes.

when I went to the Red Robin radio show, he sat down at my table for 10 minutes and talked syracuse football with a lot of passion and excitement. He was very personable and seemed to care when we spoke.

You will see player take their only SEC offer from a Kent or Vandy over much better ACC programs.

Total BS - kids like Cam Lynch, Dontez Ford, Devante McFarlane, etc?

You will see player take their only SEC offer from a Kent or Vandy over much better ACC programs.

Max Beaulieu - Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee
Kris Curtis- Kentucky
Keenan Hale- Arkansas, Vandy
Cam Lynch- Vandy
Ron Thompson- Vandy
Dontez Ford- Vandy
DeVante McFarlane- Vandy
James Washington- South Carolina
Josh Parris- Ole Miss, Vandy

By Scout's count, Doug Marrone has beaten out 13 SEC teams on players, and most of that was while we were rotting in the Big East.

"Vandy is in the SEC which in itself is a draw"
I was commenting on above comment. It wasnt in any way indicative of SU v SEC in recruiting.

So, your talking down the line? Cuse offer vs Vandy and KY ??? Hopefully Cuse.
We did whip Vandy for Cody Catalina.

Kris Curtis- Kentucky
Cam Lynch- Vandy
Ron Thompson- Vandy
Dontez Ford- Vandy
DeVante McFarlane- Vandy

By Scout's count, Doug Marrone has beaten out 13 SEC teams on players, and most of that was while we were rotting in the Big East.

Thank you for the list above, my post wasnt in a Cuse context. I was agreeing that the SEC itself is Vandys draw.
That said, 5 of the above list fit the bill of only an KY or Vandy.
Kris Curtis- Kentucky
Cam Lynch- Vandy
Ron Thompson- Vandy
Dontez Ford- Vandy
DeVante McFarlane- Vandy

Maybe we haven't given Marrone enough time, but I don't see much success in Doug's ability to evaluate talent. We may have perhaps a handful at best that play like true 4 stars (definitely no 5 stars). If I don't see more of his under the radar types producing and winning games next season then we can probably agree he doesn't have it.

I can see having this stance. Makes sense. I don't quite feel that way b/c I tend to feel like we can only really evaluate him on that first full class (the kids that were 2nd-year players). I also think it's possible -- likely even -- that his recruiting will improve from his first to his second full season (the kids that were true frosh this year) due to simply having more time to build relationships, scout, etc.

So, in the end, I'm not sure I feel comfortable saying he's recruited poorly as much as I believe this was a thin, young team and struggled accordingly.

But I certainly agree with the general sentiment that this program needs to find a few difference-makers -- particularly on offense -- regardless of stars. And if they don't, Marrone is in trouble.

Didnt have time to address you brainiacs before.

You know what I find "Total BS:- you throw out such a strong statement. It didnt dawn on you Lynch was at SU and Ford, and McFarlene didnt know SU headed to ACC when they committed.

Same thing for blackknight76
Kris Curtis- Kentucky
Cam Lynch- Vandy
Ron Thompson- Vandy
Dontez Ford- Vandy
DeVante McFarlane- Vandy

-How many of these players above knew about the ACC?

-With exception Thompson. Everyone involved above is at SU or committed before ACC announce. Thompson was recruited long before ACC announce.

This is totally a hunch, but i think Doug closes really strong on this class and makes a raelly good early impression for the kids of 2012. I think he winds up being our most important recruiter

From your keyboard to god's ears.

Question: Does anyone here still believe "In Doug We Trust"?

This past season did alot of damage to HCDM's credibility. In my mind, Doug established himself as being very average coach and recruiter this past season. Nothing he has done to date has proven me wrong.

Yup. I do. Without question.

I can see having this stance. Makes sense. I don't quite feel that way b/c I tend to feel like we can only really evaluate him on that first full class (the kids that were 2nd-year players). I also think it's possible -- likely even -- that his recruiting will improve from his first to his second full season (the kids that were true frosh this year) due to simply having more time to build relationships, scout, etc.

So, in the end, I'm not sure I feel comfortable saying he's recruited poorly as much as I believe this was a thin, young team and struggled accordingly.

But I certainly agree with the general sentiment that this program needs to find a few difference-makers -- particularly on offense -- regardless of stars. And if they don't, Marrone is in trouble.

I agree that with his improved connections that he will have more access to future recruits. I am hopeful that the redshirts will produce meaningfully next season. If they don't, we are all in trouble.

Somewhere in the back of my brain i think I remember Marrone being quoted that he purposely portrays a calm demeanor on the sideline. Something about if his players see he is calm they will take that as a sign of confidence and not worry or panic. Kinda like the general leading his troops into battle.

Kris Curtis- Kentucky
Cam Lynch- Vandy
Ron Thompson- Vandy
Dontez Ford- Vandy
DeVante McFarlane- Vandy

5 teams

Somewhere in the back of my brain i think I remember Marrone being quoted that he purposely portrays a calm demeanor on the sideline. Something about if his players see he is calm they will take that as a sign of confidence and not worry or panic. Kinda like the general leading his troops into battle.
He might want to re think this approach

If it's an act, it will come off as an act, and he'd look like an ass-clown on the sidelines (Schiano, Edsall, and Kelly).
I think it's more important to keep your head in the game and for the most part, let the assistant coaches be the cheerleaders.

I second this. Imagine Brian Kelly as your General

I second this. Imagine Brian Kelly as your General
I agree.
I think a coach has to be himself, but if you look at the sideline demeanor many of the most successful and admired NFL coaches, they're low-keyed and in-control - guys like Mike McCarthy at Green Bay, Tony Dungy, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc. That's not to say that they don't harbor a deep, burning passion to win, they just don't allow their emotions to take control of them during a game.

IMO a good part of the problem at SU this year is that we didn't have a Ray Lewis in the team ranks to fire up the players, and when necessary, kick but and take names. On some level, I think this reflects the team youth and lack of senior leadership this year.

Best coach ever look at Vince Lombardi. He in my mind was a perfect combination of controled passion.

Where Marrone needs to get the program to is the point where they don't have to get as many early commitments as they can, and can save room for guys who get interested later. I'm not certain he's at that point yet. I get the need to restock, and since the program isn't viewed as a top-40 school yet, they need to identify the lower profile guys who can develop into good players, and get them signed. But what that potentially ends up doing is filling the class with 2-3 star guys, and not leaving room for more highly rated players should the team begin to draw interest from them, as it seems to have done for the first half of the season. At that point, they need to tell guys there's no room. For example, the LB recruits seem to be full at this point, and they've had to turn away a few guys, according to other sites. I would like them to be at a point that yes, they have a great set of guys committed early, but they have room for someone like a Deaysean Rippy, should he be interested. (Note: I've no idea who they are attempting to finish with now, just he was on the wish list, seemed to get interested, then seemed to lose interest.) Yes, Josh Manley is interested, is he better than who they have, maybe, but I hope they have space for guys like him. Of course, it would help that once recruits start getting interested, the team would continue winning, to keep that interest. This year, they filled up on guys, started winning, got more recruits interested, seemed to have to push some away, but then they started losing and likely lost the recruits anyways, ie Kenneth Goins.

Kev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom