I can't stand Syracuse fans, Boeheim is right | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I can't stand Syracuse fans, Boeheim is right

I pay for my seat. Given the 15,000 empty seats in the building, I don't think my presence is preventing a better fan from taking my place.

After half a dozen years of mediocre basketball, and maybe gaining a little perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense to shout and carry on like a nut at a college basketball game. But I'm there. Though I don't really want to be, I'll be there in the middle of the night on Tuesday with 10,000 other people to root for a win over a lousy Virginia Tech team. I probably won't be standing or yelling. It is what it is.

I pay for my seat. Given the 15,000 empty seats in the building, I don't think my presence is preventing a better fan from taking my place.

After half a dozen years of mediocre basketball, and maybe gaining a little perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense to shout and carry on like a nut at a college basketball game. But I'm there. Though I don't really want to be, I'll be there in the middle of the night on Tuesday with 10,000 other people to root for a win over a lousy Virginia Tech team. I probably won't be standing or yelling. It is what it is.
You no good SOB...

If j lived in CNY and was a season ticket holder this is exactly the position I would have. Students are the nonstop energy. The rest of the fans are their for entertainment and give support not be nonstop noise.

I somewhat agree with the OP. I’ve been saying for years that a huge percentage of people at the games are there because SU basketball is the place to be, a place to be seen, a place to meet and have fun and drink. That’s fine, but if too many people are there for the get together, the rest takes second place.

I somewhat agree with the OP. I’ve been saying for years that a huge percentage of people at the games are there because SU basketball is the place to be, a place to be seen, a place to meet and have fun and drink. That’s fine, but if too many people are there for the get together, the rest takes second place.
Again what is the fan requirement here? Not every game is PItt/SU 2003...

Ever been to Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium non-bleachers, Wrigley Field, or any non-Philadelphia or Raiders game? Most stadiums nowadays aren’t loud.
Games are entertainment. Our fans are plenty loud and bring energy.
Our fans travel on the road and bring energy for the team there.
Unless the home games are barren attendance wise I don’t get complaining about the noise.
These aren’t intense games anyway.

That's a lot of college basketball.

ESPN2 must have pumped in a LOT of crowd noise. Very nice of them.

Only 19,821 showing up for a Saturday 4 pm game against ND is a troubling sign. But the noise they made wasn't.

Interesting. I believe this is a real thing, however, I'm not implying it happened though in our game on Saturday afternoon. But, I was watching a game (I think the Rainbow Classic Christmas night) with my brother-in-law and he mentioned how there seemed to be an excessive amount of sneaker noise squeaks during the broadcast, even when the players weren't moving that much, or a bunch of stop & go, change of direction, etc. where that noise mainly comes from. After I paid more attention to that, he seemed absolutely correct. There was hardly anyone at the venue, and you couldn't hear the ball bouncing, but the sneaker noise squeak was through the roof.

ND was a thoroughly entertaining game. Let me tell you something though- we have the worst fans in college basketball, hands down. A bunch of lazy, boring, unenthusiastic people who are just there killing time. This was a game that had countless pivotal moments where you'd expect the crowd to stand up and raise the decibels to max levels and fire up our guys on defense, but nope.

I was in section 110 Saturday. I stood up multiple times, waving my arms upward while yelling STAND UP, GET UP, but nothing. People sitting on their hands like zombies. Big shot after big shot, long Girard three, a dunk here, dunk there, and we needed to fire up our guys on defense, but nobody was on board with me. Their cheering lasts like 10 seconds, then they rush to get their asses back down in the seat. I don't understand why these ppl go to the games to act like they're at church. I'm tired of it. Sad.

Mr. or Ms., or Mrs. Caboose:
“I take it the people who disagree with this her are some of the old ***s who behave this very way, not surprised lol.”
I am one of those old farts who goes to games and makes no noise. Been watching Syracuse basketball since the days of Boeheim and Bing playing in the old gym.
You see Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. Caboose, for me, I don’t jump around anymore, or wave because I must sit on my hands because my hemorrhoids hurt from sitting on the hard dome bench type seat.
I can’t yell like I used to because my vocal cords are just plain old. You’ll understand what I mean when you reach your golden years.
Another reason why I don’t yell, scream and jump around like I used to back in the day is because my eyesight is shot. I can’t react to something if I can’t see it.
And having two bad hips and two blown knees makes it difficult to stand up and sit down every time something exciting happens.
But I do love the way you youngsters get after it with your excitement. Keep it up. The team needs your support. But remember…someday you’ll be old to.

I have zero issues with any fans that show up this year. I actually was surprised at the size of the crowd on Saturday. Bigger than I expected and they seemed loud enough on tv.

Now the ones who have totally tuned out and don't even bother to support the team by turning on the tv anymore - that bothers me a little bit, but some will disagree. I'm just big on loyalty to my teams.

ESPN2 must have pumped in a LOT of crowd noise. Very nice of them.

Only 19,821 showing up for a Saturday 4 pm game against ND is a troubling sign. But the noise they made wasn't.
8-6 and losses vs iowa, PSU, OKSU, and g town’s also troubling.

Those losses were mostly blowout losses too.

Just a couple of general observations about perceived crowd noise and the sustainability of intensity in the crowd at the Dome. I think some of issue has to do with the sheer size of the place. Cuse fans ARE VERY SUPPORTIVE of the program. Our fans turn out in numbers at other arenas around the country . . . in some places they seem to be louder than the home crowd. Now I'm dating myself here but I went to Syracuse in the second half of the 70s, before the Carrier Dome was constructed. Let me tell you something . . . in that smaller venue known as Manley Field House, which was less about catering to corporate and a "high-end" contingent, the joint would often vibrate, the stands would sway as students stomped their feet and worked themselves into a frenzy. It was more like a gladiatorial pit than a basketball court. Venue size and geography matter . . . it doesn't help either that even when 20,000 plus are in attendance a curtain blocks off a half empty stadium. That is inherently conducive to dissipating crowd energy. Not complaining, just some observations . . . now back to regularly scheduled programming. Have an Orange kinda of day ;)

Last edited:
I really don’t want to say this but at what point does the coaching staff take any accountability for the downturn in our program?

To turn around and blame Syracuse fans who’ve paid and showed up in numbers for decades despite whatever barriers?

Losing is one thing, introducing toxicity and resentments another

I really don’t want to say this but at what point does the coaching staff take any accountability for the downturn in our program?

To turn around and blame Syracuse fans who’ve paid and showed up in numbers for decades despite whatever barriers?

Losing is one thing, introducing toxicity and resentments another
What accountability do you want here? There’s only one option in that regard...

What accountability do you want here? There’s only one option in that regard...

JB.

Obviously Cuse fans support the program, and are forever thankful for his efforts. You cannot turn around and lash out at our fans, especially under current circumstances, and choose to ignore the state of our off court and on court performance.

I wonder if Jim misses the Manley Zoo, I know I do. SU somewhat neutered the students and being a #1 party school I'd want those crazy drunk students out there setting the tone.
Great atmosphere and a tremendous home court advantage in Manley, but that ship sailed 40 years ago. That could never be replicated in the Dome (for reasons that teamco eloquently described above), but the rise of the program to sustained national prominence that transpired afterward likely doesn't happen in Manley, either.

Last edited:
You are so wrong. There is a huge fan base who supports this program. Travel, merchandise, paying to watch this team play. Just an example was travel traveling last week, the first order of business was to find a cuse bar to watch the game. With the absolute dumpster fire that recruiting has been, the fan support has been outstanding.

The crowd seemed pretty good on tv.

I had to laugh at OP's "I'm tired of it. Sad." Sounds like something a notable Twitter personality would say, and it would make a lot of sense if OP is a fan of said Twitter personality.

ND was a thoroughly entertaining game. Let me tell you something though- we have the worst fans in college basketball, hands down. A bunch of lazy, boring, unenthusiastic people who are just there killing time. This was a game that had countless pivotal moments where you'd expect the crowd to stand up and raise the decibels to max levels and fire up our guys on defense, but nope.

I was in section 110 Saturday. I stood up multiple times, waving my arms upward while yelling STAND UP, GET UP, but nothing. People sitting on their hands like zombies. Big shot after big shot, long Girard three, a dunk here, dunk there, and we needed to fire up our guys on defense, but nobody was on board with me. Their cheering lasts like 10 seconds, then they rush to get their asses back down in the seat. I don't understand why these ppl go to the games to act like they're at church. I'm tired of it. Sad.

All I know is what I see and hear on television. From my seat the 19,821 people who were there were plenty loud. If we have any problem with crowds it is the several thousand who were not there on Saturday to see a game against a traditional foe who usually plays us close. But I guess that's what you get when SU is fielding a barely .500 team.
Fans were fine.

I'd be more concerned about the number 19,821. For a Saturday afternoon ACC game in January, that's a new low-water mark I believe. Seems like we are destined for avg attendance to fall well short of 20k this year. Duke and NC crowds may bump the avg up a bit, but at current prices I think we're looking at around 30k for Duke and maybe 27 for NC. That by itself isn't going to be enough when every other game falls well below 20.

Ticket sales have to be getting ADJW's attention.

Fans were fine.

I'd be more concerned about the number 19,821. For a Saturday afternoon ACC game in January, that's a new low-water mark I believe. Seems like we are destined for avg attendance to fall well short of 20k this year. Duke and NC crowds may bump the avg up a bit, but at current prices I think we're looking at around 30k for Duke and maybe 27 for NC. That by itself isn't going to be enough when every other game falls well below 20.
Ticket sales have to be getting ADJW's attention .

Yeah, without the context of the Bills game going on, this would be a valid post. But that's a big factor in why the numbers were under 20K.

Yeah, without the context of the Bills game going on, this would be a valid post. But that's a big factor in why the numbers were under 20K.
Isn't it tickets sold not fannies in seats? I doubt the Bills game killed a good walkup. The tickets were sold well before the Bills playoff game mattered. There is no walkup market unless the team starts generating some momentum.

Fans were fine.

Ticket sales have to be getting ADJW's attention.

while 19,821 may seem low, its still one of the 2-3 largest crowds in the whole country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom