I can't stand Syracuse fans, Boeheim is right | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I can't stand Syracuse fans, Boeheim is right

The crowd was mild because too many students are still standing at Barnes demanding Syverud get removed from his position unless every student is paired up with a roommate of equal race or ethnicity.

Wait, what happened with those protests?

Great atmosphere and a tremendous home court advantage in Manley, but that ship sailed 40 years ago. That could never be replicated in the Dome (for reasons that teamco eloquently described above), but the rise of the program to sustained national prominence that transpired afterward likely doesn't happen in Manley, either.
I'm just not sure why this isn't factored into every single one of these stupid threads about fan support.

The crowd was mild because too many students are still standing at Barnes demanding Syverud get removed from his position unless every student is paired up with a roommate of equal race or ethnicity.

Or it's the first weekend of January and all of the students are at home, like they are every time this year.

while 19,821 may seem low, its still one of the 2-3 largest crowds in the whole country.
That's what I mean - the fan support is fine relative to the product. But the athletics department is heavily dependent on income generated from the basketball program, and I have to assume that number is taking a big hit relative to expectations and needs. If revenue is falling short I don't think our relative attendance ranking is going to carry much weight.

I go to games at URI and the Dunk in Providence. I just went to a game at TD Garden. Was at ND game. The Dome is different because no arena is such a large space. It makes it hard to prompt the crowd with a big scoreboard and a loud clear sound system. It was spontaneously noisy on Saturday at key moments, especially after big baskets when we cheered hard for a "stop". Unfortunately, the needed big stops on D just didn't happen. The outcome had much more to do with recruiting failure at the 5 rather than crowd noise.

or maybe the students are still home on break until next Monday.

Have you been to, or seen, every home game of every division 1 basketball team at least once to make such a statement?

I've been to a bunch of different D1 games across the country.

Even at UNLV has more fan excitement in their smaller arena.

In Syracuse it seems like its more of something you HAVE to do if you live here as you're force fed the product.

I'm willing to bet if you took the average age of fans in the crowd at the Dome and then at other arenas that there is a significant gap.

In terms of showing up, Syracuse has the best fan base in the country, hands down. Literally no other program has more people attend games in consistently challenging circumstances as SU. None.

In terms of in-game atmosphere, sure the Dome could be better. However, so much of that is because of the nautre of the building. A football stadium is simply not great for hoops, for all the reasons people here know. Once the place is rockin' it is an advantage unlike any other. But it takes a lot to get it rockin', not entirely because the fans aren't good, but because the Dome is cavernous.

Anyway, the OP is silly.

I love posts like this, the fans are definitely the reason this team has lost to any other D1 program with a pulse and why Mooney looked like Shaq reincarnated on Saturday. You want the fans to cheer non stop, how about getting a rebound, having one of our two guards actually play defense up top or just maybe not letting an average D1 Center look like Olajuwon in his prime.

The most recent “average D1 center” was voted 1st Team All-ACC in the preseason vote - 4th most votes overall.

Pretty sure he’s getting All American buzz at this point too.

That’s hardly “average”.

while 19,821 may seem low, its still one of the 2-3 largest crowds in the whole country.

Tell that to the guy cashing the checks from ticket/concession/parking sales.

Students may be part of it, but when the team is good, those seats are filled on weekends.

Stupid thread that was a good crowd. The program is in the dumpster for a while the Sweet 16 and Final Four runs happened years we should have been playing in the NIT. This team only has 4 reliable players and can't grab a board which is a shame because some lights out 3 point shooting will be wasted.

Fans are the only thing that shouldn't be criticized. Especially the way they got behind football when they got it together for a few months and sold all those tickets this year. Tickets are also very expensive relative to other schools and that is to sit in the uppers of a football stadium forget about the good seats those don't come available at all due to tenured ST holders. The good basketball seats at the Dome also aren't that good compared to similar at an arena the huge gaps between the court and stands is annoying I'd be pissed about them if I paid for those seats. Impressive we get the crowds we do.

It's already been said, but I'll say it again---The Dome is too damn big for basketball.

Having said that, I've been to many of the Big Games there when we had 30K + and those were great. But it would be much better for the average game to have a basketball only arena that held 25K, tops.

Any of us who have traveled to other schools for games can tell you that their upper deck seats are better than 50% of the Dome seating.

I love the Dome but it does mute a crowds' support.

It's already been said, but I'll say it again---The Dome is too damn big for basketball.

Having said that, I've been to many of the Big Games there when we had 30K + and those were great. But it would be much better for the average game to have a basketball only arena that held 25K, tops.

Any of us who have traveled to other schools for games can tell you that their upper deck seats are better than 50% of the Dome seating.

I love the Dome but it does mute a crowds' support.

Shocked Syracuse either hasn't lost the Crunch or gotten a new arena for AHL so this is discussed.

That said the crowd is going to be dull for a OCC game vs Colgate might as well be in the Dome.

Mr. or Ms., or Mrs. Caboose:
“I take it the people who disagree with this her are some of the old ***s who behave this very way, not surprised lol.”
I am one of those old farts who goes to games and makes no noise. Been watching Syracuse basketball since the days of Boeheim and Bing playing in the old gym.
You see Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. Caboose, for me, I don’t jump around anymore, or wave because I must sit on my hands because my hemorrhoids hurt from sitting on the hard dome bench type seat.
I can’t yell like I used to because my vocal cords are just plain old. You’ll understand what I mean when you reach your golden years.
Another reason why I don’t yell, scream and jump around like I used to back in the day is because my eyesight is shot. I can’t react to something if I can’t see it.
And having two bad hips and two blown knees makes it difficult to stand up and sit down every time something exciting happens.
But I do love the way you youngsters get after it with your excitement. Keep it up. The team needs your support. But remember…someday you’ll be old to.
What was it like seeing Bing play?

Couldn’t help but notice big money Weitzman barely watched the game at all. Way too busy on his phone.

Not only that, but I'm almost certain that the stocky ref who ignored the late foul on Girard notified security about Weitsman's guest.

He made a beeline toward the tunnel but then paused, looked toward that end of the scorer's table, and sought out a security guy and pointed at the two of them.

(Not that I'm sympathetic to that ref, mind you. Just seemed noteworthy.)

Not only that, but I'm almost certain that the stocky ref who ignored the late foul on Girard notified security about Weitsman's guest.

He made a beeline toward the tunnel but then paused, looked toward that end of the scorer's table, and sought out a security guy and pointed at the two of them.

(Not that I'm sympathetic to that ref, mind you. Just seemed noteworthy.)
Thought that was one of the Baldwin brothers but wasn't sure. Wonder what he did. At one point he was explaining the play where JG3 got the tech called on #3 (really should remember his name at some point) while Joe was getting ready to shoot the foul shots. So then he finally decided to look up and start clapping.

EDIT - think it was Daniel Baldwin.

y
Isn't it tickets sold not fannies in seats? I doubt the Bills game killed a good walkup. The tickets were sold well before the Bills playoff game mattered. There is no walkup market unless the team starts generating some momentum.
You are kidding yourself if you don't think the Bills 2nd playoff game in 20ish years didn't hurt the walkup crowd.

Yup. Only five other programs even play in a venue big enough to support a crowd that large .

Thought that was one of the Baldwin brothers but wasn't sure. Wonder what he did. At one point he was explaining the play where JG3 got the tech called on #3 (really should remember his name at some point) while Joe was getting ready to shoot the foul shots. So then he finally decided to look up and start clapping.

EDIT - think it was Daniel Baldwin.

Yes. They are together a lot.

Ever been to Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium non-bleachers, Wrigley Field, or any non-Philadelphia or Raiders game? Most stadiums nowadays aren’t loud.
Games are entertainment. Our fans are plenty loud and bring energy.
Our fans travel on the road and bring energy for the team there.
Unless the home games are barren attendance wise I don’t get complaining about the noise.
These aren’t intense games anyway.

This. Crowds will never be what they were on a consistent basis...anywhere.

And smart phones are the biggest reason. At any given time while at a game, look around at how many people are: on their phones probably texting or checking social media, recording some crappy video they’ll never watch, or taking photos. It’s unbelievable.

Yeah, without the context of the Bills game going on, this would be a valid post. But that's a big factor in why the numbers were under 20K.

Eh, Syracuse is still a Giants town first IMO. They certainly have their fans in CNY, but the Bills aren’t THAT big of a deal until you get on the other side of the pop vs. soda line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom